Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying With the One Percent

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tireman77
I thought the 1% were flying in G-IVs and Challengers...
That would be 1% of the 1%.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:45 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ScottC
That would be 1% of the 1%.
I thought they were flying BBJs and 747 VIPs....
Old May 15, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Considering the US only: If the population is 314 million people and there are 9.5 millionaire households, that's roughly 1%. Those that travel in the BBJs and 747 VIPs are probably among the 492 billionaires in America, that's about .0001%
http://www.forbes.com/sites/luisakro...s-and-figures/

Really, the true 1% of americans don't fly in the luxury we think they do. It's too expensive for them.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:20 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I think my kids earn far less but they seem to have flown much more of their life in C or F compared to me.
Originally Posted by MtlChris
Actually, they do. To be in the world top 1%, you need 34,000 $ of yearly salary. I don't think many people who earn less than that travel in C or F.

Source
Old May 15, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Those guys aren't all in the top 1%. In fact you'd be surprised how many of these air park communities exist throughout the US. Most of these people are just upper middle class folks who love flying. When they pull their single engine prop out of the hangar, they're usually just going flying locally and not spending the night. It's just a way to go have lunch in another town or catch up with friends. It's not as glamorous as you think.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by cowombat
I was in the Etihad J lounge in Abu Dhabi a couple of years back. Couldn't get the toaster to work, and nor could 2 other guests beside me. That was disappointing, given it was the day after the Formula 1 race and they were both Ferrari pit crew mechanics....
How did conversation begin and when did you get to know who they were?

Originally Posted by xianrocker
Those guys aren't all in the top 1%. In fact you'd be surprised how many of these air park communities exist throughout the US. Most of these people are just upper middle class folks who love flying. When they pull their single engine prop out of the hangar, they're usually just going flying locally and not spending the night. It's just a way to go have lunch in another town or catch up with friends. It's not as glamorous as you think.
Although the majority of PPL holders is not filthy rich, I have to disagree with your last sentence because flying a plane is always ....ing glamorous.

Last edited by mmff; May 16, 2014 at 6:16 am Reason: Better wording
Old May 16, 2014, 7:08 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by johnatDFW64
Alright, perhaps we can agree that flying the Concorde back in the day was more glamorous then?

http://www.mapflipper.com/2014/05/co...ys-google.html

Does flying on this baby qualify as 1%?
I regret that I never got a chance to fly on the Concord. A definite plane-geek bucket list item.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:27 am

Alright, perhaps we can agree that flying the Concorde back in the day was more glamorous then?
Without a shadow of a doubt!
Old May 16, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
I regret that I never got a chance to fly on the Concord. A definite plane-geek bucket list item.
I flew on the Concorde (AF) once, and I can assure you that you didn't miss much. I'd rather spend 5-6 hours in a roomy 1st class cabin or suite on a subsonic plane than be cramped for 3 hours on a plane no bigger than a regional jet. The only cool thing about flying Concorde was a view of the curvature of the earth outside the window.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.mapflipper.com/2014/05/co...ys-google.html

Does flying on this baby qualify as 1%?
There was very little glamorous about Concorde. It was cramped, warm and smelly. Definitely a nice experience, but hardly glamorous. Visit one of the museum birds and you'll understand.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.emirates-executive.com/english/index.asp
emirates charter jet with emirates F suites

Originally Posted by PDXUA
Considering the US only: If the population is 314 million people and there are 9.5 millionaire households, that's roughly 1%. Those that travel in the BBJs and 747 VIPs are probably among the 492 billionaires in America, that's about .0001%
http://www.forbes.com/sites/luisakro...s-and-figures/

Really, the true 1% of americans don't fly in the luxury we think they do. It's too expensive for them.
Elite Traveler magazine has some interesting statistics and research

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old May 16, 2014, 9:22 pm
Suspended

This thread should better be called "Lying with the 1%"

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; May 17, 2014 at 6:12 am
Old May 17, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Surely not Business Class
Old May 17, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Plenty of the 1% fly economy as well. I have an uncle who flys private or at least F when going overseas, and refuses to pay for anything but economy when flying between NY - Florida. When I was young, I asked him "Uncle Jack, your worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Why would you fly economy" and his answer; "that's why I'm worth hundreds of millions"

People especially on FT think flying in F screams "I've made it, I'm a success". Maybe back in the 60's and 70's but today, not even close. Some of the richest people I know will fly C all the time but would never pay for F, to them the difference is just not worth it (and no, most "normal" multi millionaires still don't throw money away. Or a better way of putting it is they still watch their money
Old May 17, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and most private flights in US are low/mid-level employees on small planes doing itins that could not be done on commercial airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.