Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Student Allegedly Hacks Apple Passbook for Free Flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Student Allegedly Hacks Apple Passbook for Free Flights

Funny story about a clever "whiz-kid", who's claiming that some simple hacking is all it takes to get free flights, involving boarding pass generation on his iPhone, and a small social engineering effort.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-h...ews-18562.html

Snacky
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like total BS to me. Faking a barcode is one thing, but he can't get the reservation system to make a reservation for him with a fake barcode. Most likely he just BS'ed his way past a gullible agent. That has nothing to do with Apple Passbook.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Hmmm, if you could fake passbook with the same ticket you've already booked on. Maybe you could get priority boarding somehow, but I tend to think that when they scan your passbook it comes up what zone you are boarding.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:04 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fL1Pm0d3
Hmmm, if you could fake passbook with the same ticket you've already booked on. Maybe you could get priority boarding somehow, but I tend to think that when they scan your passbook it comes up what zone you are boarding.
I reckon that is probably very doable. In the same way you could do to a printed paper pass.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:24 am

I don't believe it either. While it may be possible to add a note 'please upgrade this passenger to F' which would be displayed on the gate agent's reader, successfully creating tickets totally out of the blue is extremly unlikely.

Perhaps his idea is cloning someone else's ticket with modifed data, and convincing staff that this is a system error - but it's hardly an accomplishement.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by andset1191
I reckon that is probably very doable. In the same way you could do to a printed paper pass.
Exactly... all you'd need to do is download it to PDF and edit it in Acrobat then print that. I don't see this as really much different since it doesn't involve hacking into the airline system and giving yourself a reservation.

With Passbook, you could screenshot the Passbook generated boarding pass, edit the image in Photoshop and then just pull up the image instead of a true Passbook boarding pass.

But I have to imagine in either case that whatever you produce won't "scan" correctly in the airline system.

If you did your homework and assigned yourself an empty seat in J/F, you could theoretically board the plane, show them your "boarding pass" and take the unoccupied seat. You still wouldn't be on the manifest as a J pax, though, so you'd have to get a FA willing to chalk it up to computer error and not really look into the matter any further. A lot of risk there...

**EDIT** One thing you could do pretty easily and get away with pretty easily is to print a separate boarding pass for yourself in J with the sole purpose of accessing the premium security line. I've never seen them scan BPs, so I think this would be pretty easy to get away with with a near-zero chance of being caught.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Apr 7, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
One thing you could do pretty easily and get away with pretty easily is to print a separate boarding pass for yourself in J with the sole purpose of accessing the premium security line. I've never seen them scan BPs, so I think this would be pretty easy to get away with with a near-zero chance of being caught.
That would be super easy. Just drop the elite lane logo on the BP before printing it, for the benefit of the line dragons.

On generating a bar code, I have decoded mine back in the day when it was the only way to find out if you have Pre-Check. There's a long character string after the PNR info, which I assumed was some type of encryption key. If true, I'd hope you'd need to regenerate the encryption key if you changed the PNR data.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Hopefully this does not set back the option of using the phone as a boarding pass.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you did your homework and assigned yourself an empty seat in J/F, you could theoretically board the plane, show them your "boarding pass" and take the unoccupied seat.
Without condoning this nonsense (which is at best theft and fraud) you could purchase a fully flex refundable ticket in F and select your favorite seat. Then do whatever this chap is going to demonstrate and put yourself in the same seat. At least that way you could board without expecting to find someone else in the seat. Then simply cancel the refundable one after the event.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
And what happens when the pax count is +1 prior to liftoff?

The plane should not be taking off.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by JackE
And what happens when the pax count is +1 prior to liftoff?

The plane should not be taking off.
It would only be the cabin counts that would be +1 and -1.
The plane count would be flat.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:14 pm
cxn

I am pretty sure they 'scan' my boarding pass and do a match to the system to check you in. If there is ever a problem they go and see why and resolve it.

Unless the airline has crappy IT support or no access at the airport, I don't see how this can get past the Gate Agent.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by cxn
I am pretty sure they 'scan' my boarding pass and do a match to the system to check you in. If there is ever a problem they go and see why and resolve it.

Unless the airline has crappy IT support or no access at the airport, I don't see how this can get past the Gate Agent.
Right, but once you get on the plane, they don't scan your BP again--they just check it visually. So if you have a lazy FA that just thinks "computer screwed up again!" and doesn't look into the matter, the offender gets to squat in J the whole flight.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:41 pm
cxn

Right, but once you get on the plane, they don't scan your BP again--they just check it visually. So if you have a lazy FA that just thinks "computer screwed up again!" and doesn't look into the matter, the offender gets to squat in J the whole flight.
I guess AA/CX are better at checking the printed manifest and checking everything esp on International J/F.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snacky
small social engineering effort
>

Originally Posted by planemechanic
likely he just BS'ed his way past a gullible agent
Originally Posted by Tsun
convincing staff that this is a system error - but it's hardly an accomplishement.
you'd have to get a FA willing to chalk it up to computer error and not really look into the matter
agree

Originally Posted by cxn
I guess AA/CX are better at checking the printed manifest and checking everything esp on International J/F.
they have procedures, which social engineers can be aware of

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.