Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: "Road Warriors protest airline fees"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
USA Today: "Road Warriors protest airline fees"

Saw this pop up in one of my news feeds this morning: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-fees/5789871/

A USA TODAY survey last month found that four big U.S. airlines charge $200 for changing or canceling a reservation for a domestic flight and larger amounts for an international flight. The survey followed data released in December by the Transportation Department that showed U.S. airlines reported a record $2.1 billion in revenue from reservation cancellations and changes during last year's first three quarters.

With those numbers in mind, USA TODAY asked Sobol and other Road Warriors — some of the world's most frequent travelers who voluntarily provide information to the news organization — for their views of airline and hotel cancellation and reservation-change policies.
I was laughing my way through it. Regardless of your thoughts on airline fees, it was interesting to see that:
- A "survey" was conducted to figure out that the legacies charged $200 change fees.
- The entire article is based on the responses of 25 "Road Warriors", since that's such a representative sample.

Interestingly, I get hit up by this author every so often for my input as a "Road Warrior". The method involves him bcc'ing me and others 5-8 questions. I've only had time to respond once or twice, but I guess I thought that there was a pool generating more than 25 responses for each article.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the Travel News forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The article, as silly as it may be, does bring up an important point about the ridiculous fees that a lot of airlines have these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.