Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Body Found in Wheel Well at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Dead Body Found in Wheel Well at IAD

South African Airways A340 had a corpse found in the wheel well. Stowaway from Johannesburg or Dakar, you think?

I believe it's SAA Flight 207, if I'm correct?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/15/us/dul...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:15 am
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Just read the wiki article on Stowaways on Wikipedia for some more background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway#Air_travel

Definitely a long flight from Africa :/

On a side note, the linked wiki reference of the kid who mailed himself from NYC to Dallas was a good read.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:17 pm

Any updates on this news? It sounds too obvious that he/she was trying to summgle in to America but failed in the attempt, right?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Yeah, most likely. The chance of a stowaway surviving a transatlantic flight is close to nil according to wikipedia.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I saw the title and thought it was about Delta announcing a new enhancement.

On a serious note, it is sad that some people are so desperate that they'll try to pull this kind of stunt. RIP
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by florin
I saw the title and thought it was about Delta announcing a new enhancement.

On a serious note, it is sad that some people are so desperate that they'll try to pull this kind of stunt. RIP
It's not always desperation. Sometimes it's simple ignorance. If you don't know that what you're about to do is dangerous, you might do it even with very little incentive.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WillCAD
It's not always desperation. Sometimes it's simple ignorance. If you don't know that what you're about to do is dangerous, you might do it even with very little incentive.
In this case, what you're about to do isn't just dangerous...it's suicidal. But I agree, from the point of view of someone whose entire life has been spent at ground level, you simply might not know what happens to the atmosphere and temperature as you go up.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Five or six years ago, a body was found in Milton, MA, in line with the usual flight approach path into BOS Logan. Authorities first thought it had been (only, but badly) run over by a black SUV that was seen on the same street in the middle of that night. I think it turned out that the person had stowed away in the wheel well of a US Air jet from Charlotte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.