Search

Laguradia looks like Third World Airport according to Biden

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Laguradia looks like Third World Airport according to Biden

Just heard this when I was out for lunch on CNBC, here's a news story about the same quote:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/...7461391745292/

If I blindfolded someone and took him at 2 o'clock in the morning into the airport in Hong Kong and said, Where do you think you are?' he'd say, 'This must be America, it's a modern airport,'" Biden said. "If I took him blindfolded and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York, you must think, 'I must be in some Third World country.' I'm not joking!
I admit I haven't been to Hong Kong airport, but I just did a quick check on Google Maps, so someone let me know if this is the case or not since I'm going by what I see on the satellite picture and have experienced at other airports in the world, it appears to be one of the many oh so modern airports that still boards even widebody aircraft from the tarmac (not all or most, but some), which is all but unheard of in our third world airports here in the US but common practice in the rest of the world. Similarly, I recently read a news story about the new airport opening in Qatar to support Qatar Airways, and according to the story less than half of the airplane positions at the new airport are at the terminal (i.e., they would be boarding/deboarding flights on the tarmac from day one).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
LGA is 3rd world in my opinion. Not because of how they load planes but the total lack of amenities, the leaky roof, and the general run-down feel of it.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:02 pm

Sorry, there's a terminal in Miami that's got to be worse than just about anything else in the US. Honestly don't remember which one it was, because I've only been there once, for a late night charter flight, and I can't remember the counter they were borrowing for their check-in procedure.

Hmm, looking at the terminal map looks like it was probably F. Don't know if they've updated it at all in the last few years since I was through there, but it was pretty terrible.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I guess it's the price you pay for being a civil aviation pioneer, but a lot of major US airports are a collection of small, awkward terminals that kept getting added on to over the years. LGA is one of the worst offenders, but it's far from alone... ORD is like 100 of the same small-town terminals laid end to end, LAX and EWR are a patchwork collection of old parts that somehow keep working, even beautiful cities like SAN are hobbled with dingy, dismal terminals.

It's kind of rare that you encounter any large, well-designed, modern terminals in the US of the kind you see everywhere in Asia. DEN, MSP and RDU stand out in my mind, but yeah... NY area airports are a bit of an embarrassment when you consider that they are the gateway to arguably the most important, most influential city on earth.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
You should really take a trip out to HKG airport - and then you will understand what he is saying.

You cant judge the airport's 3rd worldness by the fact that some planes are loaded by buses and stairs. Its done all over the world, including most very first world European airports.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You should really take a trip out to HKG airport - and then you will understand what he is saying.

You cant judge the airport's 3rd worldness by the fact that some planes are loaded by buses and stairs. Its done all over the world, including most very first world European airports.
I always thought it was more of a climate thing... I have been to some beautiful airports in warm parts of the world where you board via the stairs (although I only remember using jetbridges in HKG), whereas I have been to some comparatively unimpressive terminals in colder North American locales that provide warm jetbridges.

If it's usually warm and not raining, what need is there for jetbridges?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Ongoing discussion in TravelBuzz Section on FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-airport.html
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu

It's much easier to build a nice terminal if it's not big enough, other than a bus station, to accommodate all the aircraft arriving at the airport. I have been to T5 at LHR for example, beautiful terminal ... but when I arrived there on a 777 I deplane by air stairs onto the tarmac and to a bus, don't tell me that's first world but deplaning a CRJ-200 by jet bridge at LaGuardia is third world just because the terminal isn't brand new. I am well aware that boarding large aircraft off the tarmac is very common throughout the world, but to claim then that those airports are clearly superior to older airports here in the US where even 50 seat aircraft are more often than not boarded directly from the terminal via jet bridge just doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
China often says US like a 3rd world country, slow trains, and little airplane.

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm Reason: Removed OMNI/PR political argumentation/characterization
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jspira
Ongoing discussion in TravelBuzz Section on FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-airport.html
Because it's frustrating and not helpful to have the same subject discussed in multiple places, I will close this and refer folks to the cited thread.

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.