Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

If the US Government shut downs on October 1 - What Happens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA

It seems likely that the US government will shutdown on October 1. Does anyone have official knowledge on how this will affect air traffic controllers? Apparently they were not furloughed during the last shut down (years ago). Will this same policy be employed this time?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What will be open for business: Parts of the government that provide what the White House budget office deems critical would still operate.

Critical services, broadly speaking, protect human life and property. Typically that has included air traffic control, national security, the handling of hazardous waste, food inspections, border protection, maintenance of the power grid and disaster assistance.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/19/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Travel News Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) The rain in Spain will continue to fall mainly on the plain, and (2) If the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, it will probably still be amore. As far as what else happens, time will tell!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to predict what will happen if there is a shutdown. There is authority for the President to deliver "essential" services without an appropriation (shutdown). But, ATC is only essential if there are aircraft flying. So, ground all but military/emergency aircraft and the remaining ATC are not "essential".

Bottom line is that anybody who tells you what the President will do is either the President or doesn't know what they are talking about. If the former, please post what he tells you. If not, please don't.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:13 am
Suspended

It's also very possible that the White House might choose to shut down ATC and with it all civilian aviation in order to make the impact of the govt shut down most acute to demonstrate the political stupidity of said shut-down - and to also have a direct impact on the congress itself. This comes under the definition of - we won't know until it happens.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Current thoughts are that "essential services" will remain open--that means ATC, TSA, various law enforcement, etc. But there are no guarantees, and IIRC, FBI has already told their employees to expect everyone to be furloughed during this shutdown (as we get closer, I'll have a better idea about several other agencies; the ones I support generally have kept "essential" staff available, but we'll have to see...).
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) The rain in Spain will continue to fall mainly on the plain, and (2) If the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, it will probably still be amore. As far as what else happens, time will tell!
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong!

It'll be a disaster of Biblical proportions - Old Testament, man, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

It may also include Total Protonic Reversal. Try to imagine all life on Earth stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. That's bad.

Or... the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

But critical services, like Congressional pages, maid service at the Naval Observatory, and the First Lady's social staff, would doubtless continue uninterrupted.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Gentle reminder to all:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
One other note: sometimes travel stories are or can get intertwined with political discussions. While there is no "bright line" to point to, if your thoughts about a story are distinctly political, it would probably be better for your thread to go to OMNI/PR.
Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Gentle reminder to all:

Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
How does one go to OMNI/PR? I clicked on the word OMNI along the top of my page and I got a screen saying I don't have permission to post there.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...i-omni-pr.html

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:37 pm
Suspended

So if you move one of my threads to OMNI/PR, how do I participate in the thread between now and early November (when I will have been here 180 days)? BTW, I have no issue with there being a restricted forum, I only have an issue with MY posts being moved to somewhere that I can't get to.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:08 pm

Since this isn't on-topic for the thread, I'd welcome taking this to PM.

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
Originally Posted by WillCAD
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong!

It'll be a disaster of Biblical proportions - Old Testament, man, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

It may also include Total Protonic Reversal. Try to imagine all life on Earth stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. That's bad.

Or... the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

But critical services, like Congressional pages, maid service at the Naval Observatory, and the First Lady's social staff, would doubtless continue uninterrupted.
that is really funny
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by blackdawn2
that is really funny
I'm your huckleberry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.