Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Rail freight along Silk Road

Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber

Not sure just where to post this, but an interesting read for sure.

Hauling New Treasure Along the Silk Road - NYTimes .com

Hewlett-Packard, the Silicon Valley electronics company, has pioneered the revival of a route famous in the West since the Roman Empire. For the last two years, the company has shipped laptops and accessories to stores in Europe with increasing frequency aboard express trains that cross Central Asia at a clip of 50 miles an hour. Initially an experiment run in summer months, H.P. is now dispatching trains on the nearly 7,000-mile route at least once a week, and up to three times a week when demand warrants. H.P. plans to ship by rail throughout the coming winter, having taken elaborate measures to protect the cargo from temperatures that can drop to 40 degrees below zero.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
That is interesting. As pointed out in the article, this could be just the beginning. If the demand is there I can imagine this kind of transportation taking off. I remember hearing something about Russia having plans for improving their rail infrastructure and this may have something to do with it.

I wonder how to costs compare to transport by ship.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
According to the article, it is about 25% more expensive than by ship but it is a fair bit quicker. Air transportation is about 5 times the cost.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
If it's only 25% more to transport goods by train, I think we have a winner. A ship takes months; the train is < 3 weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.