Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines kicks San Diegans off a flight for speaking Russian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

"An airline employee told them that the stewardesses were intimidated by their speaking a different language."

Watch out.... Aeroflot will soon begin kicking English speakers off their planes in retaliation.

http://english.ruvr.ru/news/2013_05_...aking-Russian/
Old May 25, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There needs to be some accountability for such things.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Though I'd never fly Spirit due to their business practices, the minimal press I can find has nothing but claims from the pax and their attorney, and a denial of the claim that they were warned about their behavior.

I suspect the airline's side of the story will be very different and will wait to hear that before developing an opinion.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
KGTV reports that the employee warned the Bitmans and their friends over the loudspeaker for talking too loudly, but they say they never heard such a warning.
Not much information there but maybe enough to suggest they weren't simply "talking". I doubt the language was the issue.

OTOH Spirit doesn't have a good customer relations image, so who knows?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
The article that Jaymar posted was heavily slanted, but there were enough details in it to prevent me from automatically taking the pax's side.

1) It was a group of six people heading to Las Vegas for an anniversary party.

2) The article says, "The two said the group was chatting about the party in their regular voices - and only slightly louder when someone was speaking across the aisle - when an airline worker walked up to the Russian natives and told them they had to leave." Um, you don't have to talk "slightly louder" to be heard across the aisle of an aircraft.

So, I have a sneaking suspicion that when we hear the cabin crew's side of the story, it will be something like, "The six passengers were intoxicated and rowdy, yelling to each other and disturbing the entire plane. The fact that they were yelling in Russian was irrelevant to the decision to remove them from the flight. They were removed because of their intoxicated and rowdy state, which disturbed all of the other passengers."

But I'll reserve judgement till I hear the airline's side of the story. And in particular, I also want to hear other pax on the flight telling their side.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The article that Jaymar posted was heavily slanted, but there were enough details in it to prevent me from automatically taking the pax's side.

1) It was a group of six people heading to Las Vegas for an anniversary party.

2) The article says, "The two said the group was chatting about the party in their regular voices - and only slightly louder when someone was speaking across the aisle - when an airline worker walked up to the Russian natives and told them they had to leave." Um, you don't have to talk "slightly louder" to be heard across the aisle of an aircraft.

So, I have a sneaking suspicion that when we hear the cabin crew's side of the story, it will be something like, "The six passengers were intoxicated and rowdy, yelling to each other and disturbing the entire plane. The fact that they were yelling in Russian was irrelevant to the decision to remove them from the flight. They were removed because of their intoxicated and rowdy state, which disturbed all of the other passengers."

But I'll reserve judgement till I hear the airline's side of the story. And in particular, I also want to hear other pax on the flight telling their side.
That's certainly a possibility.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYatt Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's certainly a possibility.
If that were the case, that's what the airline would've said. That's a perfectly legitimate reason to remove passengers.

The fact that they gave the much more embarrassing (and illegal) reason that they did implies that what they said is exactly what happened.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by banderon
If that were the case, that's what the airline would've said. That's a perfectly legitimate reason to remove passengers.

The fact that they gave the much more embarrassing (and illegal) reason that they did implies that what they said is exactly what happened.
But are we hearing what they said or what the passenger said they said?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by banderon
Please provide a link to Spirit's explanation of what transpired. Google can't seem to find it for me.

(Surely you're not assuming that the passengers' explanation is fact, correct?)

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 4, 2013 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...elsewhere.html will move this to the appropriate airline forum while leaving a 30-day re-direct in Travel News

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.