Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

FAA grounds 787s

FAA grounds 787s

Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:47 pm

Latest news about permission to conduct 787 tests:

The test flights will be subject to a number of restrictions, the Federal Aviation Administration said today, including limiting the flights to specific airspace over unpopulated areas. Other conditions include preflight testing and inspections, and in-flight monitoring.

FAA approves Boeing test flights of grounded 787 Dreamliner

That's kind of scary.

The FAA also allowed Boeing to ferry a 787 from Fort Worth back to the factory after it had been painted.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bobster
Latest news about permission to conduct 787 tests:

The test flights will be subject to a number of restrictions, the Federal Aviation Administration said today, including limiting the flights to specific airspace over unpopulated areas. Other conditions include preflight testing and inspections, and in-flight monitoring.

FAA approves Boeing test flights of grounded 787 Dreamliner

That's kind of scary.

The FAA also allowed Boeing to ferry a 787 from Fort Worth back to the factory after it had been painted.
What makes anything about that scary?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:03 pm

Even with special preflight testing and in-flight monitoring an airliner certified by the FAA is too dangerous to fly over populated areas. That part.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Even with special preflight testing and in-flight monitoring an airliner certified by the FAA is too dangerous to fly over populated areas. That part.
I don't find it scary. It appears to be a prudent precaution. Even though the plane has not yet lost its certification there is still an issue that needs to be identified and addressed. Why fly the airplane over a populated area when it is not necessary to do so?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That's a standard provision in the regulations for an airplane operating as an experimental (non-certified) aircraft.

14CFR91.319(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway.

All this shows is that the FAA is treating the B787 as an experimental aircraft for the purposes of these flight tests.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are reading something into that that is not there. If the airplane was unsafe it would not be allowed to fly, period. And if it was unsafe no pilot worth their salt would fly it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:54 pm

It caught my attention because of the non-standard wording. Normally the regulations say that test flights should be over sparsely populated areas and/or avoid densely populated areas.

I'm afraid that to say "specific airspace over unpopulated areas" and have that odd phrase repeated in hundreds of news stories around the world will make it just that much harder for people to have confidence not only in he 787 but in the FAA who certified it.

(The only other references I could find about requiring tests over unpopulated areas were for unmanned drones and space vehicles.)
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
It caught my attention because of the non-standard wording. Normally the regulations say that test flights should be over sparsely populated areas and/or avoid densely populated areas.

I'm afraid that to say "specific airspace over unpopulated areas" and have that odd phrase repeated in hundreds of news stories around the world will make it just that much harder for people to have confidence not only in he 787 but in the FAA who certified it.

(The only other references I could find about requiring tests over unpopulated areas were for unmanned drones and space vehicles.)
A part of me hopes that people do lose confidence in the 787 resulting in light loading when it returns to service, thus resulting in carriers offering GREAT fares to far flung places. I would more than gladly take up offers to fly to Asia, Africa and South America for irrational fear induced low fares.

But just as people returned to flying after every major incident/series of incidents so too will the traveling public and businesses return to flying with nary a thought with respect to confidence in the certification of the plane or the FAA as certifier.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:51 pm

NTSB identifies origin of JAL Boeing 787 battery fire; design, certification and manufacturing processes come under scrutiny
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Where can one find the latest news on the grounding of the Dreamliner and efforts to get it back in the air?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Where can one find the latest news on the grounding of the Dreamliner and efforts to get it back in the air?
There is a lot of news all over the web but our news desk at Frequent Business Traveler magazine has devoted a lot of space to current Dreamliner news.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
We've been covering it on FlyersPulse. Latest update is:

Will the Boeing 787 Dreamliner Fly by May?

SDF
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Another round?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/W...ay-5298156.php
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
I try to see the positive, the QC seems to work
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: QFF
Sounds better then the A380 wing cracks which were only discovered because they were inspecting the wing of VH-OQA after the QF32 incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.