Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting next to an imaginary airline CEO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2.7 million miler)
Sitting next to an imaginary airline CEO

A reporter found himself sitting next to an imaginary Jeff Smisek and filed this interesting report..

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/1...o-airline-ceo/
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
...but did he have a chance to tweet @fakeunitedjeff?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by J.Edward
...but did he have a chance to tweet @fakeunitedjeff?
Honestly, some of this stuff is well-said - the example of kettles going anywhere for the lowest price is exactly why we're in this baggage fee issue.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:43 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Honestly, some of this stuff is well-said - the example of kettles going anywhere for the lowest price is exactly why we're in this baggage fee issue.
I'd agree - I thought this summed it up:
Let the people who use the services pay for the services. Don't want to play? Fine. You don't have to. No one's forcing you to...
Also of note is what Kellner said back at one of the big DOs (prior to CO implementing baggage fees) with words to the effect of, "we won't add baggage fees if we see an uptick in people choosing us over AA [the airline which had just implemented them, IIRC], but if people keep booking as usual, we'd be leaving foolishly leaving money on the table by not having them."
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
True enough - and considering real (i.e. inflation-adjusted) airfare costs in the context of jet fuel prices, we have today faster, (far) cheaper means of getting from point A to point B with more options in terms of schedules, routings etc.

We really shouldn't be complaining when we the consumer (and of course corporations in the last couple of decades) have spurred this race to the bottom.

Actually, what I find fascinating is the evolution of the gap between coach and premium cabins - I would argue that as coach has gotten less desirable (ignoring fares), biz and first have become much nicer (flat beds, more personal space, entertainment, lounges (LH FCT anyone?) etc.) The only way to subsidize the race to the bottom in coach I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.