"The Secret to Airport Security Lines"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

http://www.openforum.com/articles/bu...-openf-SBdaily

.... One major cause of security delays is the high volume of passengers that overwhelms checkpoints at certain hours. “There’s never an optimum time,” says Luis Casanova, a spokesperson with the Transportation Security Administration. “But it seems like, especially because of business travelers, early mornings are the most congested at most airports, especially large and regional airports.” .....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
So the lines are longer when there are more people trying to get through at busy times.

Who knew?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by cordelli
So the lines are longer when there are more people trying to get through at busy times.

Who knew?
Not only that .... the "large and regional" airports have the most congestion. Who would have thought.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I usually don't like to contrast such pieces to something I wrote but I wrote an article called No More Lines: How to Save (Significant) Time At the Airport back in April and at my article made sense (more or less).

I find it hard to believe that airlines direct their frequent fliers to black diamond lines versus their own priority lines and I didn't waste valuable paragraphs Clear since it has limited applicability.

I primarily covered Global Entry, PreCheck, and special VIP services, which I think are the three best ways of not waiting in line if tha's what you want.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
And God forbid, the TSA should staff appropriately ...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
jspire, your blog is awesome, thanks! I liked http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....ervice-review/ I actually posted here in the forum looking for something like this.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Who knew?
So disappointed with you. Busy drinking the upscale hooch when you should have previously correlated crowds with longer lines.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think the author in the OP needs to do a better job of verifying information supplied by his sources. From the article:

"CLEAR members also can’t avoid pat-downs and random screenings, but Seidman-Becker says belonging to CLEAR means you only need to arrive at the airport a half-hour before your flight, instead of the customary hour. “We’ve had over 650,000 travelers come through the lane since we kicked off,” she says. “One person missed their flight because things didn’t go perfectly.” A typical CLEAR member gets through security in five minutes or less, she says."

??? Really??
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Who knew?
It is just too bad that there is no way to know how many passengers will be departing at a given time so they could staff accordingly.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'll never understand how the government decides to schedule staffing. Almost invariably when I go to the airport there are at least a few TSA workers standing around chatting or on their phones while there's a long line of people waiting to get checked. Once I opted out and stood around talking to 2 TSA employees for 5 minutes while I waited for a third employee to come pat me down.

When someone left a phone behind in the bathroom on a plane, it took 5 police officers 30 minutes to decide that standard procedure is to make everyone get off the plane so they could check the plane. When we finally got off the plane 1 hr after they discovered the phone, I saw 2-3 more cops standing around chatting up a couple of women. This was at SAN where recently a prisoner escaped or was let free and was able to sneak his way onto a commercial plane.

Then there was the rotating shift of two police officers watching a prisoner in our ICU who was already chained to his bed, sedated, and on a ventilator for respiratory failure. 24 hrs a day for 3 months until the guy died. But it's ok to have less cops on the streets just outside the hospital where people got shot/stabbed all the time.

Our tax dollars at work.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Hehehe... another "SECRET", like the secret to scoring free UGs (dress nicely and ask ).

I think the secret to more efficient security lines is corporal punishment for those who don't take off their belt, laptop, shoes and hold up the lines for EVER. Also apply it to those who have giant baby strollers with a household's worth of stuff packed in and around them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.