Wiki Posts
Search

Largest Airline in the World?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Largest Airline in the World?

In the days of the USSR, it was Aeroflot, today it's...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingv...ent_time_.html
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Sabai
In the days of the USSR, it was Aeroflot, today it's...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingv...ent_time_.html
What is the metric? The number of passengers flown? Total route length? The number of flights? The mumber of miles flown? ASM? RASM! The number of aircraft? Total revenue?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The article says
...the globe’s most valuable carrier is set to be South American.
Not sure what that means, but it isn't fleet size. That title is taken by Delta I believe.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:32 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I understood it was by market cap. Nothing really to do with passengers carried, or fleet size or anything travel related. But I guess a valuable metric to compare with all companies
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I understood it was by market cap. Nothing really to do with passengers carried, or fleet size or anything travel related. But I guess a valuable metric to compare with all companies
Market capitalisation is probably the most fleeting metric.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:26 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Market capitalisation is probably the most fleeting metric.
Fleeting yes but universal is all I was saying. Given the strength of some South American economies the notion that it is "the biggest" is probably meaningless compared to any purposeful metric. "Biggest" though is definitely something I have already seen bandied around for the new LATAM
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The article saysNot sure what that means, but it isn't fleet size. That title is taken by Delta I believe.
Actually I believe the worlds largest airline is United Airlines.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:14 am

Sure, It is the biggest airline!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Actually I believe the worlds largest airline is United Airlines.
The latest figures (Sept 2011) I can find have Delta as #1.

Airline fleets are in a state of constant flux as new planes are delivered and old ones retired. The top 5 are consistent although DL/UA may swap the lead from time to time for the above reason.

1. Delta 744 plus 121 on order
2. United 712 plus 116
3. Southwest 709 plus 403
4. American 624 plus 571
5. British 487 +134

Some lists place Lufthansa (710+155) and Air France (616+80) higher but these are group totals which include what I consider to be separate airlines; Swiss and Austrian and KLM respectively.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Fleeting yes but universal is all I was saying. Given the strength of some South American economies the notion that it is "the biggest" is probably meaningless compared to any purposeful metric. "Biggest" though is definitely something I have already seen bandied around for the new LATAM
Universal? Market cap is one of the metrics used world wide, but not the only one. There was a time, before the dot.com burst when an Indian IT company could have bought two or three largest U.S. airlines. Market cap can also be a sign of a bubble to come.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:49 am

One way to measure market cap is to discount future cashflows. As long as you're making the most money, you're the largest.
However, being profitable doesn't make you the largest. You can have lower revenue but a higher margin to win. That's why I think this is baloney.

Other metrics are much better like fleet size, number of passengers flown or destinations served.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by yialanliu
One way to measure market cap is to discount future cashflows. As long as you're making the most money, you're the largest.
However, being profitable doesn't make you the largest. You can have lower revenue but a higher margin to win. That's why I think this is baloney.

Other metrics are much better like fleet size, number of passengers flown or destinations served.
How far im future would you go? Short of a major lawsuit, outflows are limited. Market capitalisation is very volatile.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesfly
I recognized it was by industry cap. Nothing really to do with travelers taken, or navy dimension or anything journey relevant. But I think a useful measurement to evaluate with all organizations.
Useful measurement for comparison at an instant. It's no more than the instantaneous valuation of a company, and it changes continuously.
Stock price has little value now. Look at what happened to face book IPO. Market cap has been hyped up by short term investors. Many metrics are in use that mislead people. Facebook used a metric to exaggerate footfall on it's site. Anyone who visited a site that was linked to, was counted as a hit by face book. If stock price reflected real strength of a company, market cap would be more reliable metric. Rising stock price is no guarantee of company growth.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The latest figures (Sept 2011) I can find have Delta as #1.

Airline fleets are in a state of constant flux as new planes are delivered and old ones retired. The top 5 are consistent although DL/UA may swap the lead from time to time for the above reason.

1. Delta 744 plus 121 on order
2. United 712 plus 116
3. Southwest 709 plus 403
4. American 624 plus 571
5. British 487 +134

Some lists place Lufthansa (710+155) and Air France (616+80) higher but these are group totals which include what I consider to be separate airlines; Swiss and Austrian and KLM respectively.
Dont forget FedEx they have 688 aircraft.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RPM's are the best measurement of how many passengers are flown by the worlds airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.