Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:24 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: BOG
Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW PE, DL Ham Sandwich, VK Eagleflyer
Posts: 2,437
Largest Airline in the World?

In the days of the USSR, it was Aeroflot, today it's...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingv...ent_time_.html
__________________
Au revoir PA, TW, NW
I need to find a new airline
Sabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:57 pm   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabai
In the days of the USSR, it was Aeroflot, today it's...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingv...ent_time_.html
What is the metric? The number of passengers flown? Total route length? The number of flights? The mumber of miles flown? ASM? RASM! The number of aircraft? Total revenue?
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 8:28 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
The article says
Quote:
...the globe’s most valuable carrier is set to be South American.
Not sure what that means, but it isn't fleet size. That title is taken by Delta I believe.
Wally Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 8:32 pm   #4
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mainly BOG
Programs: LAN Premium Teaspoons, BAEC, Avianca Lifemiles, HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,141
I understood it was by market cap. Nothing really to do with passengers carried, or fleet size or anything travel related. But I guess a valuable metric to compare with all companies
JohnnyColombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 8:59 pm   #5
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
I understood it was by market cap. Nothing really to do with passengers carried, or fleet size or anything travel related. But I guess a valuable metric to compare with all companies
Market capitalisation is probably the most fleeting metric.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:26 pm   #6
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mainly BOG
Programs: LAN Premium Teaspoons, BAEC, Avianca Lifemiles, HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
Market capitalisation is probably the most fleeting metric.
Fleeting yes but universal is all I was saying. Given the strength of some South American economies the notion that it is "the biggest" is probably meaningless compared to any purposeful metric. "Biggest" though is definitely something I have already seen bandied around for the new LATAM
JohnnyColombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 3:47 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
The article saysNot sure what that means, but it isn't fleet size. That title is taken by Delta I believe.
Actually I believe the worlds largest airline is United Airlines.
planemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 6:14 am   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Sure, It is the biggest airline!
traveling123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 8:54 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
Actually I believe the worlds largest airline is United Airlines.
The latest figures (Sept 2011) I can find have Delta as #1.

Airline fleets are in a state of constant flux as new planes are delivered and old ones retired. The top 5 are consistent although DL/UA may swap the lead from time to time for the above reason.

1. Delta 744 plus 121 on order
2. United 712 plus 116
3. Southwest 709 plus 403
4. American 624 plus 571
5. British 487 +134

Some lists place Lufthansa (710+155) and Air France (616+80) higher but these are group totals which include what I consider to be separate airlines; Swiss and Austrian and KLM respectively.
Wally Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 9:39 am   #10
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Fleeting yes but universal is all I was saying. Given the strength of some South American economies the notion that it is "the biggest" is probably meaningless compared to any purposeful metric. "Biggest" though is definitely something I have already seen bandied around for the new LATAM
Universal? Market cap is one of the metrics used world wide, but not the only one. There was a time, before the dot.com burst when an Indian IT company could have bought two or three largest U.S. airlines. Market cap can also be a sign of a bubble to come.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 12, 9:49 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
One way to measure market cap is to discount future cashflows. As long as you're making the most money, you're the largest.
However, being profitable doesn't make you the largest. You can have lower revenue but a higher margin to win. That's why I think this is baloney.

Other metrics are much better like fleet size, number of passengers flown or destinations served.
yialanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 12, 3:39 pm   #12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yialanliu
One way to measure market cap is to discount future cashflows. As long as you're making the most money, you're the largest.
However, being profitable doesn't make you the largest. You can have lower revenue but a higher margin to win. That's why I think this is baloney.

Other metrics are much better like fleet size, number of passengers flown or destinations served.
How far im future would you go? Short of a major lawsuit, outflows are limited. Market capitalisation is very volatile.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 12, 2:19 pm   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfly View Post
I recognized it was by industry cap. Nothing really to do with travelers taken, or navy dimension or anything journey relevant. But I think a useful measurement to evaluate with all organizations.
Useful measurement for comparison at an instant. It's no more than the instantaneous valuation of a company, and it changes continuously.
Stock price has little value now. Look at what happened to face book IPO. Market cap has been hyped up by short term investors. Many metrics are in use that mislead people. Facebook used a metric to exaggerate footfall on it's site. Anyone who visited a site that was linked to, was counted as a hit by face book. If stock price reflected real strength of a company, market cap would be more reliable metric. Rising stock price is no guarantee of company growth.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 12, 5:57 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England
Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
The latest figures (Sept 2011) I can find have Delta as #1.

Airline fleets are in a state of constant flux as new planes are delivered and old ones retired. The top 5 are consistent although DL/UA may swap the lead from time to time for the above reason.

1. Delta 744 plus 121 on order
2. United 712 plus 116
3. Southwest 709 plus 403
4. American 624 plus 571
5. British 487 +134

Some lists place Lufthansa (710+155) and Air France (616+80) higher but these are group totals which include what I consider to be separate airlines; Swiss and Austrian and KLM respectively.
Dont forget FedEx they have 688 aircraft.
FN-GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 12, 6:21 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,576
RPM's are the best measurement of how many passengers are flown by the worlds airlines.
planemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 am.