Study lists 10 most hard-to-track travel fees

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Cool Study lists 10 most hard-to-track travel fees

USA Today: Study lists 10 most hard-to-track travel fees

I know we all love fees...right??

The fees that are the most vexing to companies and travel managers are those that are least predictable, can't be paid in advance, and are difficult to account for individually, according to research by the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), which represents 17,000 travel and meetings managers.

The researchers studied the so-called ancillary fees for extra services charged by nine major airlines, four rental car agencies and 10 hotel chains. They then rated them according to how common, transparent and easy to track through individual expense reports and other sources they are. Finally, they came up with a list of the top 10 problematic fees.

Four of the fees were charged by airlines. Baggage fees didn't make the cut because airlines typically advertise them. But travelers don't always expect extra charges for soft drinks, headset use, movies and videos, and food. Car-rental fees for toll passage, late returns, drop-off of a one-way rental, and fuel also made the top 10. Fees for Internet use and parking were the most troublesome hotel charges.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Without seeing the story's link (for whatever reason skipped right to the quote) there was no doubt in my mind that it was a USA Today story.

Really, people think that paying for parking or gas is problematic? Really if you are renting a car, you should expect to pay for gas. If you park in a lot, you should assume you have to pay.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Really, people think that paying for parking or gas is problematic? Really if you are renting a car, you should expect to pay for gas. If you park in a lot, you should assume you have to pay.
The subject was parking fees levied by hotels. Yes, if you park in a city/airport/... lot then one expects to pay, but hotels aren't always transparent about having to pay for parking.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Without seeing the story's link (for whatever reason skipped right to the quote) there was no doubt in my mind that it was a USA Today story.

Fortunately, with each of my employers as long as I provide a receipt for the fuel, I get reimbursed.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:12 am
Suspended

LOL, that was my reaction too. A fee for late return is unexpected? The study left out the real surprise-early return fee. Some car rental companies have started charging early return fee also.
The article wan't very well organised either. Lots of words with little substance.
Most of the fees they have mentioned will be a surprise for very few people.
Why would people not expect to pay for parking in big cities, or for the fuel they used? If someone is surprised at late fee or or fuel charge, why would not they be surprised at extra driver fee, underage driver fee, or insurance, all of which the article fails to mention.
One can anticipate some fees, even unusual one, if one gave a little thought.
One Friday morning, driving a rental car in the general north east direction, I found myself in the Easy pass lane of a toll plaza. The sun was in my eyes and I could not read the signs. I drove through and pulled over to the side, to assess what I was going to do. Since no one came over, and I could not wait any longer, I drove on, aware that I had a problem, a bill in the mail, not from the state toll authority, but from the car rental company, with a $25-$50 administrative fee for collecting the toll. First thing, Monday morning, I called the state toll authority with the make and model, as well as, license plate number of the car. I paid the toll on the phone, with my credit card. The toll authority agreed to send me a letter and an e-mail confirming that I had paid the toll.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.