Calls for the A-380 to be grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.

I received this article yesterday, as part of my daily newsletter subscription to Aviation Today.

I have been waiting for the opportunity to fly on the A380, but I may hold off on that until additional research/testing is done by independent engineers.

Is anyone else alarmed by this story?

Engineers want the A380 Grounded

Last edited by mcmitchell; Jan 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has more to do with Australian union posturing than it does with safety of the airplane. Every airplane in the air has something cracked on it, even very new airplanes. Airplanes are designed to handle this type of damage and still be safe until such time as the area is inspected at the next scheduled maintenance check. This is being handled normally by Airbus (who I am no fan of) and there is nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I guess you never really know, but I do rather doubt we'll be seeing wings falling off 380s any time soon.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:04 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
I would not be too worried to fly on an A380 but it is definitely good to know that they are aware of the problem.
Hopefully they will do the proper repairs and safety checks to be sure of no issues occurring in the future.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I guess you never really know, but I do rather doubt we'll be seeing wings falling off 380s any time soon.
Yes they are tested to destruction. The wings are not going to fall off.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by RCyyz
you're more likely to experience an engine blowing up to smithereens... though with Qantas its not limited to the A380
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: Delta, American, United
I read about this a while ago and while it does seem alarming I'm sure older planes experienced issues when they were first constructed and introduced.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Flying six segments on Singapore's new 380 next week. Kind of wish I hadn't seen this. Ignorance is bliss.

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by edrags
Flying six segments on Singapore's new 380 next week. Kind of wish I hadn't seen this. Ignorance is bliss.

SQ has been flying A380s for almost five years. Unless if you are flying on their latest delivery aircraft, SQ has the most experience with the plane. EK has the largest fleet and has been operating reliably with the plane.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
SQ has been flying A380s for almost five years ... EK has the largest fleet and has been operating reliably with the plane.
Older A380's that've flown over 1800 times are to be inspected within 4 days b/c additional non-structural cracks had been found. Those with 1,300 to 1,800 flights to be inspected within 6 weeks. Further actions and inspections will be considered by Airbus & various regulators as warranted. Not urgent, not immediate - give the mechanics worldwide the chance to check them out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16649334

In other words, they are still safe to fly - or, else they would be grounded immediately.

Hey, 40 years ago, they worried about the 747's flying the distance, but they are still up in the air and safely landed with one engine, hole on the side of the plane, etc. We only live once and when it's time to go ... then, it's time to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.