Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

WSJ Article on Young Frequent Fliers

Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

New Generation of Global Jet-Setters

Talks about mileage runs, etc. Sounds like it could be talking about me to a certain extent.

Also mentions the Expedia $300 deal, which I totally took advantage of, though not sure about how I feel about it being published nationally.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:42 am

I'm pretty sure some of the people mentioned in the article are FTers and I've probably ran across them. Also interesting to read the comments in the article.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by koroleon
I'm pretty sure some of the people mentioned in the article are FTers ....
Indeed, they are. The stories were gathered during SMD3.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:33 pm

"Any student can book a trip anywhere on a credit card, while 20 years ago you had to walk into a travel agency,"

True.

But then who pays the credit card balance?

I read the whole article and at no point does it mention how these 18 year olds afford the travel. Are these the same kids who graduate with $50K of student loans and then moan about having $50K in student loans?

I'm not knocking their passion for travel. But it just seems to me like they're racking up a lot of debt to do it and not getting all that much out of it. I guess I'm old fashioned and think it's not the end of the world if you have to wait a few years out of college before you can actually afford the trips. Even with the most discounted fares around, going to Fiji is not cheap. Besides if flying to Fiji to eat at the airport McDonald's really considered "travel to Fiji"?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:08 pm

Doesn't seem like much fun to fly to Europe just for a quick dinner.

I'd rather save up to take a nice long trip than be stuck on a plane the majority of the vacation.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
"Any student can book a trip anywhere on a credit card, while 20 years ago you had to walk into a travel agency,"

True.

I read the whole article and at no point does it mention how these 18 year olds afford the travel. Are these the same kids who graduate with $50K of student loans and then moan about having $50K in student loans?

I'm not knocking their passion for travel. But it just seems to me like they're racking up a lot of debt to do it and not getting all that much out of it. I guess I'm old fashioned and think it's not the end of the world if you have to wait a few years out of college before you can actually afford the trips. Even with the most discounted fares around, going to Fiji is not cheap. Besides if flying to Fiji to eat at the airport McDonald's really considered "travel to Fiji"?
Yeah. I love flying, but I didn't become anything close to a frequent flyer until years after I graduated from college, when I got a high-paying job that also required some business travel.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Paul79UF
Doesn't seem like much fun to fly to Europe just for a quick dinner.

I'd rather save up to take a nice long trip than be stuck on a plane the majority of the vacation.
I agree. I don't really understand the point of a transoceanic flight for lunch at the airport. There is a difference between commuting via airplane and travelling. This article seems to focus on the former. I prefer the latter.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:37 am

"My priority is spending every cent I have on travel," Mr. Maxwell-Steele said. "A lot of people say, 'You're mad.'
I don't spend every cent, but certainly travel is a priority for me. That's why I still have my old mobile even if a couple of buttons are missing. I know a new mobile costs 50% of a trip to the Caribbean or 25% an airfare to Europe (from SAL).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:38 am

Interesting article.

I can't really relate to this article. I am a recent college graduate and my first job, based in NYC, is 100% travel. In one month, I earned 24,000 miles on Delta.

Traveling overseas, just for lunch, is frivilous. I don't really care if the fare is cheap, enjoy new cities, explore, and take in new culture.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I agree. I don't really understand the point of a transoceanic flight for lunch at the airport. There is a difference between commuting via airplane and travelling. This article seems to focus on the former. I prefer the latter.
Can you imagine telling that to someone 100 years ago? Nearly everyone would jump at the opportunity.

Of course I agree in the modern world it's kind of pointless. I've never understood mileage runs that don't at least have some stopover unless you're hunting a status upgrade. I get the people who do MR's to go to random locales for a weekend, but those that do immediate airport turnarounds I find a bit baffling.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by drbobguy
I've never understood mileage runs that don't at least have some stopover unless you're hunting a status upgrade. I get the people who do MR's to go to random locales for a weekend, but those that do immediate airport turnarounds I find a bit baffling.
Clearly you've never felt the impending doom of falling from top status to mid-tier or nothing.

Seriously, I have done many transatlantic MR's over the years, and I still find them more exciting than what most people do with their weekends. Even the quick turn around trips can be fun. However, it is best to have mid to top status when doing the quick MR's. All the amenities likes priority lines, upgrades, showers, and lounges helps make the trip a lot easier.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
kids of split parents can travel a bit if the folks are an airplane apart.....

i have flown a few times for lunch, but only in conus....and in the back...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Mom and dad. Let's face it, these kids come from privilege (said in a non-pejorative way - more power to them).
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:39 pm

Are you sure you read the same article? It explains that for every person mentioned.

"'It's beating the system,' said Mr. Nguyen, who finances his trips with side work trading collectibles."

"Ryan Hoult, a 27-year-old who works at a Canadian consulting company"

"Oleg Krogius, a 24-year-old computer scientist at Microsoft Corp."

"A law student in New Zealand with a busy telecommunications consulting practice, Mr. Maxwell-Steele has been known to spot cheap tickets"

"Ross Gale has been taking business trips with his father since he was 7, and has been booking flights for his family since he was 9. He started working for his father in a company that buys and sells distressed manufacturing assets when he was 17."
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Clearly you've never felt the impending doom of falling from top status to mid-tier or nothing.
Wow. No drama in your household, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.