Reload this Page >

Potholes in the Runway?

Potholes in the Runway?

Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Potholes in the Runway?

Now up in my ASK THE PILOT column at Salon.com:

Questions and answers…

Q: I'm a big fan of United's "Channel Nine," which allows you to listen in on the chatter between pilots and air traffic control. Often, however, the feature is unavailable. I'm told it is up to the captain whether or not to switch it on. What I don't understand is why any captain would choose * not * to.

Q: Why is engine power cut back shortly after taking off? Takeoff is the scariest part of flying to me, and suddenly, only seconds after leaving the ground, it feels like the plane is falling.

Q: Sometimes, while the plane is accelerating for takeoff, there's a repetitive, rhythmic thumping from below: bang-bang-bang-bang, all the way down the runway, like we're hitting a string of potholes. A friend tells me this is an indication of flat spots on the plane's tire, or a tire that isn't inflated properly….

The ANSWERS are here:
http://life.salon.com/2011/10/13/the...ing/singleton/

AND RECENTLY IN ASK THE PILOT:

Oops. Wrong button! One simple error and an All Nippon Airways jet nearly flips onto its back. What did -- and didn't – happen?

Plus, debut of the 747-8 and 787. Just how "revolutionary" are these spiffy new planes?

The FULL article is here:
http://life.salon.com/2011/10/06/oop...ton/singleton/

This is your invite for a meaty discussion on the 787. And how about some love for Channel Nine?

-- Patrick Smith
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Channel 9 is the #2 reason I've stayed loyal to United!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.