Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Why, despite much higher taxes, is it cheaper to fly in Europe than in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why, despite much higher taxes, is it cheaper to fly in Europe than in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
I would add that while personal income tax rates in Europe are generally higher than in the US,
I would add that when considering everything that many or most European individuals get back from their taxes including free or very cheap, high-quality health care, free or nominally priced medicine, subsidized housing, free university education, cash support to raise their children, minimum of five weeks paid vacation per year, often a 13th month of salary to pay for vacation and a 14th month of salary for Christmas, unlimited sick leave, generous unemployment insurance paying 70% of their last salary for three years or more, generous pension programs, safe streets, state of the art highways and public transportation systems, etc. that looking at a net-net comparison, most Europeans are taxed much less than their American counterparts. Maintaining 700+ imperial military bases around the world is an expensive business to be in. How much higher could your taxes be if you didn't have to pay for insurance, save for your retirement, save for your kids education and didn't have to worry about living on the street if you had a run of bad luck and got cancer, lost your job, lost your job-based insurance and lost your home?
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
the corporate rates are often similar. So, US companies pay the same tax as their European counterparts, but also pay for their worker's health care and retirement (pensions, 401k's), as opposed to Europe, where the government often takes care of such things. Benefit costs are a huge drag on American companies compared to the rest of the world (especially heavily unionized companies).
Indeed. So, not only are American citizens penalized by not having security of health care with or without a job, but American companies are penalized by doing business in the only rich country where they pay these costs rather than them being covered by all citizens for all citizens. No wonder so many companies are jumping ship and moving their operations outside of the US.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by florin
There are very, very few consultants who leave every Sunday/Monday and return every Thursday/Friday.
Me, me!

There are quite a lot of us. The early-morning flights out of the London airports have a good passenger load of regulars - must be about 10% of the Monday morning LTN-GVA at least.

There are also people who commute to different countries for "normal" (non-contract) work.

Neil
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: various
I don't live in either Europe or the USA, but when I have to fly within each, I find Europe air fares all-in, shockingly high in comparison, esp on a per km/mile basis, so resorting to the train (which also isn't exactly cheap anymore) is often more expedient there. Of course, not really an option for most long-distance USA travel. I don't "do" LCC's in either location so I can't use that as a basis for comparison--and at any rate the total capacity of LCC seats as a % of what's on offer per region is relatively small and therefore probably isn't the best pricing to use for comparisons. Maybe one's perception is colored by the specific routes they usually need to fly, and how often one can find a "deal" for their city pairs.

Last edited by jiejie; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If the OP actually flew in the United States, he would know that airfare is not that bad...

I live in Germany and pay a lot more for travel, particularly on a per/km basis. Take out the fares for ultra LCCs (which don't take into account the nickel and diming for ticketing fees, credit card fees, check-in fees, bag fees, the cost to get to airports 2hrs outside of city center) and Europe is even more expensive.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Last time I was flying around intra-Europe, I'd say it was pretty equivalent to cheap Southwest prices, with equal service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.