Reload this Page >

Boeing Finally Redesigns FA Call Button

Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

Story

The new interior design for Boeing's 737 passenger jet, the best-selling plane in aviation history, includes an innovation that is as radical as it is obvious: a flight attendant button that is situated well away from the reading light button and actually looks different from it.

When I clicked on the link I thought Boeing had done away with the FA call button entirely.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I'll bet there's no pictogram of a martini on a tray.

That would be for the benefit of the FAs who are "here primarily for your safety."
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: United MP
Why did it take so long to come up with this design?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If I were the quoted GM, I wouldn't have sounded so proud for fixing something that should have been fixed long, long ago.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by CPRich
If I were the quoted GM, I wouldn't have sounded so proud for fixing something that should have been fixed long, long ago.
Better late than never...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Agree. Boeing IMHO shouldn't be proud they've only fixed this error now as it should've been corrected much earlier.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
The fact that it's obvious on the A32x doesn't stop people pressing it instead of the reading light anyway...
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mbstone
Story
[I]

When I clicked on the link I thought Boeing had done away with the FA call button entirely.
One could wish, though. The NEW ONE should have a plastic cover over it, with the words, emergency ONLY. LOL.

gotta wonder what people are thinking when they ding and ask:

Got binoculars?
Toothpicks?
Sewing kit?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pacer142
The fact that it's obvious on the A32x doesn't stop people pressing it instead of the reading light anyway...
Actually, I can see new FA call button inside the entire A321. This is brand new aircraft. I flew on US Airways from LAS-PHX by last year. it was different a new cabin interiors.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, I can see new FA call button inside the entire A321. This is brand new aircraft. I flew on US Airways from LAS-PHX by last year. it was different a new cabin interiors.
It's noticeably different (different colour, and different position) in both the Airbus interiors - just a lot more obvious in the new ones. EZY operate both, and it's rare for the wrong button to get pressed after the "turn your reading lights on, we're turning the cabin lights off" announcement on the Airbus compared with the Boeing.

Neil
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
That's what I thought.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I thought the same thing too. But spin works.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pacer142
It's noticeably different (different colour, and different position) in both the Airbus interiors - just a lot more obvious in the new ones. EZY operate both, and it's rare for the wrong button to get pressed after the "turn your reading lights on, we're turning the cabin lights off" announcement on the Airbus compared with the Boeing.

Neil
Like this:

This is brand new cabin interiors and it looks so different reading lights, FA call button and turn the fan on, too. This is ship #541 and the ship#541 is delivered on December 9, 2009.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Like this:

That's the new type, yes. Not normally lit up in flight - for some reason when the door is open on Airbuses the button is illuminated and flashes when pressed, while when the door is closed they aren't illuminated and just light up when pressed. I wonder if it's because the older Airbus design has the call button light showing the row number.

Was on a B737 last night, and it is not at all obvious on those.

Neil
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I guess even minor, obvious changes must go through rigorous FAA certifications and testing, that it literally takes an act of God to make even the most minor changes.

Good change though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.