Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Plane with Michelle Obama had to abort landing due to mistake

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...C7D_story.html

By Ashley Halsey III, Tuesday, April 19, 5:06 PM
A White House plane carrying Michelle Obama came dangerously close to a 200-ton military cargo jet and had to abort its landing at Andrews Air Force Base on Monday as the result of an air traffic controller’s mistake, according to federal officials familiar with the incident....

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm Reason: Please do not wholesale copy and paste copyrighted material, per the FT TOS
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not excusing the Potomac TRACON controller mistakes, but I have found the CNN coverage somewhat amusing, in that I'd have expected their national correspondents fly often enough (indeed, I've been on flights with a few of them before) that they've had this happen to them at least once or twice.

Same thing with avoiding the wake turbulence of a flight ahead of them--I can't put a number to how often I've heard planes rerouted or asked to alter speed due to potential for wake turbulence.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

So... something that happens every day all over the world is news because a VIP was on the plane.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
So... something that happens every day all over the world is news because a VIP was on the plane.
I suspect it's also news because it's being attributed to an air traffic control error (although I'm sure there will be an investigation to determine whether this was indeed the case). And air traffic control issues have been big news for the past few days.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think that this issue has been blown out of proportion. This happens quite often in major hubs
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Very much so -- a man and a woman getting married is an extremely common event but look at how much publicity the royal wedding in the UK is getting.

I doubt that a day passes somewhere in the US without a young woman being arrested for DUI, but if that woman is Paris Hilton it will be the lead story on the news.

Only one of the following has to be of interest for something to be news-worthy:

Who, what, when, where, why or how. In this case, it was "who".
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:25 am

It was a very close miss - only 3 miles
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:54 am

ATC allows First Lady's plane to get too close to C-17

http://abcnews.go.com/US/michelle-ob...d=ESPNheadline
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
In my opinion, coverage of this is a good example of a media feeding frenzy. Have you seen some of the phraseology used by various media outlets-- "Scare for the First Lady"... "dangerously close"... please.

If it didn't involve the First Lady, it would have been a non-event, and has been on the many many occasions it happens around the country. But since it's in vogue to pile on the FAA right now, it gets front page attention.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I told my wife this story is getting far too much attention and that this stuff happens all the time. "No it doesn't" she said.

"Remember that flight into DCA 3 years ago, when we had to go around again because of air traffic in front of us?" I asked. "Same thing"
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:31 am

If there was a news story every time a pilot had to do s-turns for spacing, be warned of slow traffic, or do a go around due to wake turbulence, there would be a 24 hour news channel for all the reports. I've probably done all of the above practicing touch and gos on a typical afternoon in busy airspace. ATC error is the hot topic at the moment and the media loves feeding the fear machine.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:42 am

Yeah, I've wondered if I was missing why this was such a big deal. I used to fly Cessnas and wake turbulence was something we were always aware of. If you felt like you were too close behind a larger aircraft, you just maneuvered in the traffic pattern for a bit until you were safe, or landed past their landing trajectory. It sounds from the story like larger aircraft flying IFR are more rigidly scheduled so as not to run into wake turbulence, and maybe ATC did make a minor error here that the pilot had to question, but the problem was solved without incident. I could also imagine conditions inadvertently causing this -- headwinds, tailwinds, that sort of thing. It happens, pilots know what to do about it.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: none
HO HUM this is such a Non Story.

I was diving on the interstate one day and the car ahead of was going slower. I had to slow down and go around him.

Call the media!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Allan38103

I was diving on the interstate one day and the car ahead of was going slower. I had to slow down and go around him.

Call the media!
LOL !!!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Allan38103

Call the media!
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.