Hand luggage suitcases test: Six of the best

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-the-best.html

The wheeled carry-on case is no longer the preserve of airline pilots and well-heeled businessmen. As low-cost carriers impose ever more stringent charges for putting luggage in the hold, growing numbers of British holidaymakers seek to cut costs by packing a week's worth of belongings into their hand luggage.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sobore
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-the-best.html

The wheeled carry-on case is no longer the preserve of airline pilots and well-heeled businessmen. As low-cost carriers impose ever more stringent charges for putting luggage in the hold, growing numbers of British holidaymakers seek to cut costs by packing a week's worth of belongings into their hand luggage.
The trouble with "hand luggage" is that often times the actual dimensions of the luggage is greater than the airline's specs of what's permitted for what is supposed to fit in overhead bins. It's rarely enforced (with some people attempting to put articles as big as a small refrigerator in the overhead bins!)
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I use a Samsonite 20-inch ultralight hardside case that often gets mistaken for being "too big", especially at international destinations. Surprise surprise when it slips in and out of the sizing frame. I like using the hard sided cases because once in a while, I end up with stuff that requires me to check it in. Always had things get busted with soft cases so I stay away from them now.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by weekilter
(with some people attempting to put articles as big as a small refrigerator in the overhead bins!)
i know what you mean....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:24 pm

On a flight out of Shanghai, I saw someone try to put a birdcage (no bird of course) in the overhead. It was one of those wooden handcrafted things that must have been the size of a small barrel ...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
On a flight out of Shanghai, I saw someone try to put a birdcage (no bird of course) in the overhead. It was one of those wooden handcrafted things that must have been the size of a small barrel ...
(no bird of course) That's the important thing. A non-stop talking African gray parrot could become an entrée before the flight was over.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
(no bird of course) That's the important thing. A non-stop talking African gray parrot could become an entrée before the flight was over.
hilarious....
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:59 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by weekilter
The trouble with "hand luggage" is that often times the actual dimensions of the luggage is greater than the airline's specs of what's permitted for what is supposed to fit in overhead bins.
The top bags don't even meet the size specs of many of the airlines listed in the article. It's like rating cars and giving top marks to vehicles that are not legal on half of all roads. What is this? TopGear?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:58 am

Who cares about snakes on a plane ... I want a bunch of parrots and parakeets!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
The top bags don't even meet the size specs of many of the airlines listed in the article. It's like rating cars and giving top marks to vehicles that are not legal on half of all roads. What is this? TopGear?
True. And with most bags, when they say "20" or "22", what most mfg often not disclose are the wheels/handles and other protrusions on the bottom/top that make it oversized. All it takes is a half inch and the overhead will not close, earning you lots and lots of dirty looks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.