Mexicana air suspends ticket sales

Subscribe
They claim they will honor existing tickets. They are seeking protection on debts of $199 million to the government of Mexico (LA Times)
I cannot see how they come out of this alive. They have no revenue source now and are already underwater. Continuing operations to lose more money doesn't make sense.
Quote: I cannot see how they come out of this alive. They have no revenue source now and are already underwater. Continuing operations to lose more money doesn't make sense.
Hmm. Will they be tossed out of One World?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...bor-talks.html

The company, a unit of Grupo Mexicana de Aviacion, will continue operating its flights normally, according to an e- mailed statement yesterday. Grupo Mexicana’s low-fare Click and Link units will keep selling tickets, the company said.

“This decision will offer certainty and confidence to consumers,” Mexicana said. The company said its goals are to protect passengers and “create greater space to bring to fruition negotiations” with labor unions.
Quote: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...bor-talks.html

The company, a unit of Grupo Mexicana de Aviacion, will continue operating its flights normally, according to an e- mailed statement yesterday. Grupo Mexicana’s low-fare Click and Link units will keep selling tickets, the company said.

“This decision will offer certainty and confidence to consumers,” Mexicana said. The company said its goals are to protect passengers and “create greater space to bring to fruition negotiations” with labor unions.
The labor union leaders don't give a crap what happens. In the end, they make out with their golden parachutes and the union members are out on the curb.
Quote: Hmm. Will they be tossed out of One World?
That is probably the least of their worries. When they cease operations there won't be much left for oneworld to be worried about.
Quote: I cannot see how they come out of this alive. They have no revenue source now and are already underwater. Continuing operations to lose more money doesn't make sense.
Agree. It's already a dire situation with little to no hope.
AeroMexico will scoop up whatever is left, I'd assume. Reminds me of what Varig went through.
Quote: Reminds me of what Varig went through.
I hadn't thought of that precedent but now you mention it I can see the similiarities.

MX had expanded to secondary Canadian cities including YEG in recent years though they scaled back to exclude YEG but keep YYC last year. As a schedule airline option to the seasonal charters to Mexican sunspots they worked fairly well.
I'm glad I took my MX Jumbo flights LAX-BOG in June.
Word today that MX expects to resume selling tickets on 16 Aug.
Quote: Hmm. Will they be tossed out of One World?
Maybe LH knew something several years ago when they basically had them kicked-out of *A.
Quote: Maybe LH knew something several years ago when they basically had them kicked-out of *A.
LH did not kick them out of *A. They kicked themselves out due to a spat with UA.

Anyhow, I digress...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10910887

Quote: <snip>

Mexciana suspended 13 flights from Monday with two more routes halted beginning Tuesday and Wednesday.

Cutbacks included flights to and from London, Madrid, Montreal, Chicago and cities in Central and South America.

<snip>
What if you would prefer to do a credit card chargeback on an already-booked flight, rather than wait to see what happens? Is it too early for a chargeback now?
I suspect far too early for chargeback.