Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Nut Free Zone on AC

Nut Free Zone on AC

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Nut Free Zone on AC

What's next? Nut free...perfume free...pet free...kid free?

==
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1422747/

Air Canada (AC.B-T1.320.021.54%) has been ordered to create a special “buffer zone” on flights for people who are allergic to nuts.

The Canadian Transportation Agency has ruled that passengers who have nut allergies should be considered disabled and accommodated by the airline. The CTA has ordered Air Canada to come up with an appropriate section of seats where passengers with nut allergies would be seated.

The CTA added that it “has determined that the appropriate accommodation for persons with disabilities due to their allergy to peanuts or nuts, when advance notice is provided, is to be seated in a buffer zone,” including an announcement to the other passengers within that zone.

Ms. Huyer said she is unhappy with the ruling because it won't solve the problem. “It's not enough,” she said.

She wants all nuts banned from all airlines.

The CTA ruling only applies to Air Canada but an agency spokesperson said other airlines typically follow suit.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
When nuts are outlawed only outlaws will have nuts!!

Nuts!!!!!!!!

PS - sounds like Ms. Huyer needs to stop flying, rather than ban nuts from all airlines.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
Ms. Huyer said she is unhappy with the ruling because it won't solve the problem. “It's not enough,” she said.

(emphasis mine)

I understand nut/peanut allergy can be life-threatening, but isn't that too much to ask?

Most accommodations I know is to make extra efforts (in other words: to do MORE) so both the general public and those with disability can enjoy the same or have equal right/access.

Even the Canadian Transportation Agency rules passengers with nut allergies be considered "disabled," I can't come up with with any specific example of disability that requires the whole population to be "deprived of" something so say disabled folks can be accommodated.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
You know those machines in airports that wrap suitcases in large rolls of plastic? Combine that with an allergen filtering mask and she should be just fine (unless she has to use the lav.)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, FB Silver, Krysflier, Hertz #1 Gold, A|Club Silver

I have an allergy to idiots too, I'm guessing they should be banned from all airlines then.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I thought this thread would be about kicking nutjobs like Ivana Trump and Snoopdog off of flights.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:13 pm

Not certain who Ms. Huyer is,

...but what's the next flight she'll be on?, he asked, all squinty-eyed and malevolent-looking while pocketing a handful of peanuts....
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Ugh. It'll be funny to see how/if other airlines react.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I thought this thread would be about FT forums, other than OMNI/OMNI-PR
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
disabilities due to their allergy to peanuts or nuts
For the love of God. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Just wait till the US adopts this rule and the TSA has to develop a new protocol to screen for nuts.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Has anyone, and I mean anyone, ever actually suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction to a fellow PAX simply opening a bag of nuts on a flight? I ask this, because it is the kind of thing that would be played over and over again on the news and I have never seen anything.

As an aside, where the hell did all these nut allergies come from anyway? I think it is under exposure. Anyone who saw the hilarious exchange between Anderson Cooper and one of the aid workers who was explaining the crucial role Plumpy'Nut is playing in combating chronic malnutrition should think about just how sterile we have become.

Cooper: Well, what about those with peanut allergies?
Aid Worker: Peanut allergies don't exist where Plumpy'Nut is being used.

Originally Posted by LostSoul
Just wait till the US adopts this rule and the TSA has to develop a new protocol to screen for nuts.
I don't care if they have healthy fats, comrade!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by N1120A
As an aside, where the hell did all these nut allergies come from anyway? I think it is under exposure.
In case you hadn't read these two threads in TravelBuzz! Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eboarding.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ee-flight.html
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Botanically speaking, peanuts aren't nuts. They are legumes.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:50 pm

What's next? Nut free...perfume free...pet free...kid free?
I'd gladly accept the first one in exchange for the last three.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.