Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat

I did a spin class last night for the first time. My quads are still on fire!

I still amazes me after all these years of exercise how different activities are. I can do 40 mins on the elliptical and get a good workout, but playing racquetball the next night kicks my @ss!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by redbeard911
I did a spin class last night for the first time. My quads are still on fire!

I still amazes me after all these years of exercise how different activities are. I can do 40 mins on the elliptical and get a good workout, but playing racquetball the next night kicks my @ss!
I am an exercise nut and though I run and use a Pilate machine with routines to strengthen the legs, after a physical inventory observation two Saturdays past my legs were really sore. Different activities use different muscles and you don't really appreciate the differences until the day after.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:46 am
Suspended

Yesterday I did a 20K bikeride in the snow (I do live in Toronto ), 5k on my Concept2 rower at the hardest intensity and then a short weight routine.

Today was a 2 hr walk and a bit later I will go for a run.

I vary what I do to give me an overall decent fitness level rather than just focusing on one thing.

Oh yeah, I can't remember the number of jumps I did when I jumped to conclusions based on what people posted on OMNI
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:47 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
I thought about exercising today... thought about it yesterday as well - maybe one day I'll actually do some
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Proof why one should never fall into a rut of doing the same types of cardio or weight excersises out of habit. I find my body adapts to doing the same thing on a regular basis, so I try to vary from week to week my routines so I can enjoy being sore on a regular basis.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I went to Reston Kabob for a huge lunch; now I need to punish myself with a couple hours at the gym before heading to happy hour. I'll do 40-60 minutes on the elliptical then some bench pressing and shoulder work.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only the same exercises but the same reps too.

I go in 6 week cycles for lifting. Sets of 20 for 6 weeks, Prymids for 6 weeks (10,8,6,10), and Heavy for 6 weeks.

It is amazing how sore I am the first week of any new cycle.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by annerj
I go in 6 week cycles for lifting. Sets of 20 for 6 weeks, Prymids for 6 weeks (10,8,6,10), and Heavy for 6 weeks.
Please enlighten me. I thought that pyramids ended with a smaller number, not a larger number. If you finish with 10 reps, how to you know how much weight to use? Do you go smaller than the 6 reps, or back to what you used for the first 10 reps?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:16 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Changed the channel with the tv remote 3 times today
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Please enlighten me. I thought that pyramids ended with a smaller number, not a larger number. If you finish with 10 reps, how to you know how much weight to use? Do you go smaller than the 6 reps, or back to what you used for the first 10 reps?
I keep record of all my workouts (This is key when doing pryamids so I'm not wasting a set by going too light or too heavy).

Bench would look something like:
Prymids
Warm up
225 x 10
240 x 8
260 x 5-6
215-225 x 10

Sets of 20 (I try to get 20 but usually end up 18ish. If I hit 20 2 weeks in a row I add 5 pounds the next time I do it)
Warm up
205 x 20
185 x 20

Heavy
Warmup
225 x 10
285 x 5
305 x 2
305 x 1
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfe
Changed the channel with the tv remote 3 times today
Next week do it without the remote....now that could turn into a workout!!!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Last night: treadmill, abs, back, triceps.

Tonight: bicycle, pecs, lats, biceps, leg extensions.

Tomorrow: probably much the same as last night, but earlier in the day.

Tomorrow night, Saturday and Sunday: assorted holiday/birthday parties and dinners, which will offset much of the above (and what came before it).

Monday: back to work on the treadmill, abs, ...
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Last night: treadmill, abs, back, triceps.
You run before you lift?

If I'm going to do both (run and lift) I ALWAYS lift first then run. I'm very type "A" so I have a hard time taking it easy on the treadmill. After a hard run I just don't feel very strong with the weights. But after a hard lift I am usually still fresh enough to get a hard run in.

Anyone else?

Currently I'm training for a Marathon so there are no days that I run and lift on the sams day:
(Mon - Alt Cardio 45 minutes
Tue - Hard 35-45 min run
Wed - Weights
Thur - Hard 35-45 min run
Fri - Alter cardio for 45 minutes
Sat - Lift
Sun - The dreaded LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG run)

So I'm working out less (45 minutes is GREAT compared to what I usually workout) but the long runs are kicking my butt (There is another thread about that)!

annnerj
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by annerj
You run before you lift?

If I'm going to do both (run and lift) I ALWAYS lift first then run. I'm very type "A" so I have a hard time taking it easy on the treadmill. After a hard run I just don't feel very strong with the weights. But after a hard lift I am usually still fresh enough to get a hard run in.

Anyone else?

Currently I'm training for a Marathon so there are no days that I run and lift on the sams day:
(Mon - Alt Cardio 45 minutes
Tue - Hard 35-45 min run
Wed - Weights
Thur - Hard 35-45 min run
Fri - Alter cardio for 45 minutes
Sat - Lift
Sun - The dreaded LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG run)

So I'm working out less (45 minutes is GREAT compared to what I usually workout) but the long runs are kicking my butt (There is another thread about that)!

annnerj
When I've done cardio and weights on the same day, I do whichever is my "focus" first. In other words, if I'm trying to shed weight or get more "cut", then I do the cardio, but if I'm trying to bulk up, then the weights are my priority. Like you, I've never been able to devote all of my energy and attention to BOTH on the same day, so I try to do the thing that means the most to me first.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
40 minutes on the life-fitness machine (elliptical arms & legs) each of the past 3 days... since I have a red-eye at 2am tomorrow morning, planning to hit the gym again tonight. I re-joined 24 hr fitness a couple weeks ago, and am working my way towards getting back into running shape. My body requires significant pre-work before it is ready to do road races again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.