Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Runners toe. Any advice on how to avoid it?

Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

My soccer boots have caused my big toe nail to go black at the front. Its from the consistent impact and not giving it time to heal which would take 4-6 weeks.

Tried everything from bandages to foam cover but nothing helps. Anyone else have them here?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Black toenail syndrome. Half to one size bigger boots and more width might help. Give this the Google treatment: black toenail syndrome football
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Black toenail syndrome. Half to one size bigger boots and more width might help. Give this the Google treatment: black toenail syndrome football
I am all ready on the biggest size I can source and they fit quite well.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:59 pm

Half to one size bigger boots and more width might help.
I've heard that, too, especially about the length of the shoe. (It never gave me problems as a runner, and I did have some extra space in there.)

I've also heard that you can lace your shoes in different ways that help take pressure off the toe box. You could Google something like "alternate shoe lacings runners."

I've also heard of people, as a last resort, cutting a hole at the spot where the nail is rubbing. However, I would only suggest this for runners--if you're wearing the shoes for football, you need to maintain their structural integrity!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwoomp
In lace your shoes in different ways that help take pressure off the toe box. You could Google something like "alternate shoe lacings runners."
Yeah tried that too. Works well sometimes but then one impact and the pain starts again.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Get it removed if nothing else works.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

barefoot of course.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm a runner, not a soccer player, but I wear running shoes that are 1.5 US sizes larger than I typically wear, and try to buy them in a wide when possible. You want as much room around the front of foot as possible.

I know you said you're buying the largest size you can find, but how much larger is it than your typical shoe size?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm a runner, not a soccer player, but I wear running shoes that are 1.5 US sizes larger than I typically wear, and try to buy them in a wide when possible. You want as much room around the front of foot as possible.

I know you said you're buying the largest size you can find, but how much larger is it than your typical shoe size?
I'm also a distance runner, and I was going to suggest the same thing. Try experimenting with shoes that are 1 or 1.5 sizes bigger than what you would normally wear. Also, I'm a big fan of WrightSock. They are essentially two thin layers of sock; the design greatly reduces friction on the skin and nails. https://www.rei.com/b/wrightsock?r=b...google|main|NB
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My soccer boots have caused my big toe nail to go black at the front. Its from the consistent impact and not giving it time to heal which would take 4-6 weeks.

Tried everything from bandages to foam cover but nothing helps. Anyone else have them here?
Your shoes are too small. You should have about 1/4" gap between your toe tips and the boots. Also, make sure the rest of the shoe is tight. If your feet are slipping forward then you're going to be hammering your toes on the shoe. And keep your toenails really, really short.

Try this, no guarantees. I wear the japanese "toe socks". Injinji is the brand I use. I wear a smaller size than I should so that the sock is really tight on the toes. Then I wear a second pair of socks over that. Plenty of padding, proper fit shoes, I haven't had runners toe or even a blister in years.

One other thing, if you've got a lot of pain while the nail is black (you usually do) there's a way to alleviate that. The black is from blood trapped under the nail and the pain is from the pressure of that. Disinfect a needle and slip it under the toe nail into the blood. Don't worry, it's not going to hurt. The nail is already separated from the toe at that point. Drain the blood, slather it with disinfectant and let it sit a few hours and you're ready to go.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Best way to avoid it: Don't run. Swimming and biking are better for you anyways.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Best way to avoid it: Don't run. Swimming and biking are better for you anyways.
Heh. There's much truth in that. Running is pretty rough on the leg parts, especially if you up the mileage and speed. For me, though, it's the only sport I'm somewhat good at. I can't quit you, distance running.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Heh. There's much truth in that. Running is pretty rough on the leg parts, especially if you up the mileage and speed. For me, though, it's the only sport I'm somewhat good at. I can't quit you, distance running.
I used to feel the same way. One day my knees took the opportunity to express a different opinion.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Cut your training in half and let it heal.

Also, a different brand of shoe may be in order. If I run with Nike's I'll have shinsplints within a mile. Brooks or Mizuno and no issues. The toe boxes across shoes are quite different as well.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Get it removed if nothing else works.
I guess that might be less painful in the long run

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.