Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by richard
Yes, you have taken a break now. But my perception is that you have been sick fairly often. I may be wrong. Are you perhaps not allowing enough recovery time between workouts?
Hmmm that could be the problem. I dunno if I'm sick fairly often though. Doing a search through this thread the last time I had a cold was in February. It's now August so that's about 6 months or so. Is 2 colds a year normal or too many?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hmmm that could be the problem. I dunno if I'm sick fairly often though. Doing a search through this thread the last time I had a cold was in February. It's now August so that's about 6 months or so. Is 2 colds a year normal or too many?
no I think that's fine. Like I said, I haven't searched but it was just an impression and most of those are wrong.

I track my pulse rate and my control pause (a breathing thing) every day in my health log. I find it very interesting over a period of time, and I also track my overall feelings and activities and perceptions.

I have known I was going to get sick simply because my pulse was abnormally high. And sure enough, I got sick.

The most important pulse is what you take before you get out of bed in the morning. You can use a timer that you can reach for without actually sitting up and you can take your 30 second pulse with it. It is very illuminating.

If you are not giving yourself recovery time, your pulse will be higher than normal.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I ran a six miler today. I have a 10K on Sunday, the second 10K that I will be in. I've been running for about a year and run entirely barefoot always.

I am very excited about my upcoming 10K. And I think I will start looking at a 10 miler that I can enter or a half marathon. I am really jazzed about running now.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:34 pm

The most important pulse is what you take before you get out of bed in the morning. You can use a timer that you can reach for without actually sitting up and you can take your 30 second pulse with it. It is very illuminating.

If you are not giving yourself recovery time, your pulse will be higher than normal.
Interesting idea... I might try this tomorrow morning and see where I'm at and compare that to days later this week and after I'm completely recovered from my cold.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very excited about my upcoming 10K. And I think I will start looking at a 10 miler that I can enter or a half marathon. I am really jazzed about running now.

Good luck man! Races are exciting for sure!!! 10k - 10mile is my favorite distance. 5k is too short (if you take it out too hard or slow its hard to compensate) and marathons or just too long for my taste (I've only done the one).
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:01 am

Wow, the few days off because of my cold really helped! I was scheduled to run 7 today, but felt so good out there I did 8 instead. It's stupid to try to make up missed miles, but I thought an extra one here wouldn't hurt as I haven't run in 3 days. I did run a little too fast though. Finished 8 miles in 1:01:15 or 7:39/mile. That's pretty fast for me at that distance!

Tomorrow is 4. I might cheat again and do 5. Then we run into trouble as I'm going to Hawaii on Saturday for the week, so will need to manage the weekend runs a bit different. I will probably do my Saturday run on Friday and then my long run on Sunday as scheduled (on the beach somewhere).

Anyone have any good running routes on Kauai?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8 miles in 1:01:15 or 7:39/mile.

CRAZY FAST! Nice man.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
CRAZY FAST! Nice man.
I know dude, for me that is crazy.

I guess richard is right.. rest does have its benefits. Maybe these colds every 6 months is my body's way to saying, "Hey, take a few days off, you'll thank me for it!"
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
Good luck man! Races are exciting for sure!!! 10k - 10mile is my favorite distance. 5k is too short (if you take it out too hard or slow its hard to compensate) and marathons or just too long for my taste (I've only done the one).
thank you! I would never have imagined I could do a 10k race, a year ago. Now this is my second one.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:44 pm

Today I was scheduled to do 4 miles, but I don't have a good 4 mile loop, so I did 4.6 instead.

Felt pretty decent throughout. Finished in 36:16 or 7:53/mile pace.

---

Question for you men: Do you find sex before running negatively affects yours performance (in the running)?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:44 am

On the 'ol schedule today was 7 miles, so that's what I did. It felt really cool outside, kind of like the Fall, so I opened it up at bit and finished in 55:46 or 7:57/mile pace. Not as fast as Wednesday, but this was the 3rd day of running in a row.

Off tomorrow as we're off to Hawaii and then a long run sometime and somewhere on Kauai!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question for you men: Do you find sex before running negatively affects yours performance (in the running)?
I don't know...because I'm married.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:39 pm

Hello from Kauai! What an amazing place.. truly beautiful.

Anyway, after a long travel day and getting up early this morning because of jet-lag, I head out to do my scheduled 15 miler. It was pretty tough. I think the biggest problem was that I missed last week's 14 miler and the week before was a step-back week, so 15 hit me like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, finished in 2:17:45 or 9:11/mile pace, nearly a minute slower per mile than my marathon pace. According to the experts, I should be running my long runs slow anyway, so I guess that's alright.

Nothing tomorrow, except beach and exploring the island!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week:

Monday - Chest/Bis + 3 miler
Tuesday - Tris/Back + 3 miler
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Shoulders + 4 miler
Friday - off
Saturday - Total Body lift (minus back but added in a little extra legs)
Sunday - 3.75 Miler + 12.5 miler bike ride

Another good week for me. If I could have put in a 5 miler on Wed it would have been a near perfect week.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Richard are you still lifting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.