Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:43 pm

This year has really been run focused. Cycling just for cross-training. And no open water swim the whole summer -- first time in years. But that has shown me that I probably will never schedule 3 marathons in one season again. I like more variety than that.

Regarding the 10K swim, I have former colleague who has done the swim around Key West before. It is more like 20K, but she had a lot of fun.

Last edited by dfwoods; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:24 am
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL SM, TrueBlue, SPG
Oh I am so in trouble now that I found this thread
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Funny how I found this just after walking the 3.3 miles to work for the first time in six months today. I could use the encouragement. And the exercise helps the jet lag!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL SM, TrueBlue, SPG
Nice job rstlsgirl!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I did just a 3k swim at Tempe Town Lake this morning...
http://www.azopenwater.com/#!tempe-fall-14/c1ngl

weather was quite different than a few weeks ago in Pennsylvania, here is the before picture (and the after would have looked about the same)

(and since this is Flyertalk, if you look to where the bridge ends in the distance, the building that looks like an airplane hangar, that is/was the US Airways HQ in Tempe)

Due to our recent rains (we got well over 3" of rain on Monday), there was some concern that the swim wouldn't happen at all. But evidently water quality was within standards.
They said water temp was 82F. Initially, I would have said 80, but after I got warmed up, I'd say it could have even been warmer.

There were 3 distances, with the 3k starting first, then the 2k 3 minutes behind, and the 1k another 3 min behind that. I might have gotten passed by a couple of fast folks from the 2k. But on my last loop (it was setup as 1k loops), I was passing tons of people from both the 1 and 2k, as well as some 3k people.

Because of the storms, they had done releases from upstream and the lake was kind of flowing as the river it was intended to be (the river is normally dry, but Tempe put in dams on the east/west sides to make a lake in the riverbed). I've noticed a few scratches around my body from all of the branches and other things that were floating along (I'd rather not think of what everything was).

Since the water was warm, they officially didn't allow any wetsuits. I just wore a brief (the same one i wore for my 5k a few weeks ago).
But I saw a few guys wearing short john wetsuits...

I'm guessing about 100-150 people swam. The 3k seemed the most popular, I'd guess about half who swam did that distance. Why slow people jockey to the front at the start is beyond me. I must have swum over 3-5 people after the starting horn went off. Was surprised that I hung with the lead pack for a while (about 200m), before I realized there was no way I could hold that pace for the whole thing, and I gradually settled into a more reasonable pace. I had a guy who I paced off of for much of the 2nd-3rd loops (I still did some sighting to make sure he was on-course, but not as much as if I had been solo).

I think I finished in about 50 minutes. Not bad. Official results should be posted by tomorrow morning.

There's another swim at Tempe Town Lake in 2 weeks. I haven't yet registered, but will probably do the 4k:
http://www.azopenwater.com/#!az-stat...pionship/c1pl8
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfwoods
This year has really been run focused. Cycling just for cross-training. And no open water swim the whole summer -- first time in years. But that has shown me that I probably will never schedule 3 marathons in one season again. I like more variety than that.

Regarding the 10K swim, I have former colleague who has done the swim around Key West before. It is more like 20K, but she had a lot of fun.
There was one year when I started my season with a half marathon in December, a full in February, another half in late April, another full in October, and a 10k Turkey Trot.
That was pretty much the end of my running. Just too much in too short of a time.

I know some folks who did the Key West Swim. Water temp was 88F or higher this year.
Absolutely no way I'd even consider swimming so far in water that warm.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Walked with a friend quite a bit during the autumn. Now that winter has come to the Midwest early (January weather in mid-November ), am getting my exercise shoveling during the past week. We're in the midst of a heavy storm that's lasting a few days. Shoveled 2x yesterday & will probably shovel 2x again today. First snow day for the schools yesterday (a combination of snow but also -15F windchill in the morning).

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Small PR on the rower this week.

We have a program
2000 meters
3 minutes rest
1500 meters
3 minutes rest
1000 meters
3 minutes rest
500 meters
3 minutes rest

Got my row time sub 18 minutes for the first time. I think Low 17s is possible if I trained right

*2k is my focus currently for the competition in Feb. I have pretty high hopes for both the 2k and the 500.

Last edited by annerj; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half marathon ( 16th Nov)

Hi,

I did the Rocknroll Las Vegas 5k ( from the SLS ) on Saturday 15th Nov and the half marathon ( from the strip south of Mandalay bay ) on the 16th Nov.

Did the 5k in 25mins and did the half marathon in 1:40:42 ( a new pb and came about 616th out of over 25,000 finishers).

Running the strip at night was a great experience and was great fun.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I did the Rocknroll Las Vegas 5k ( from the SLS ) on Saturday 15th Nov and the half marathon ( from the strip south of Mandalay bay ) on the 16th Nov.

Did the 5k in 25mins and did the half marathon in 1:40:42 ( a new pb and came about 616th out of over 25,000 finishers).
Congrats on the awesome time for the half!

I'm just getting into running -not liking it much but with my schedule it's pretty difficult to join a soccer or basketball team which is what I really enjoy.

Anyhoo, my goal is to run a marathon next fall and I signed up for the Berlin marathon but didn't win the raffle. I'll probably sign up for the Vegas marathon!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Still exercising....albeit through a mopey Nov and Dec. I do try to break a sweat now and then.

Back to basics on diet. Smart fat and reduced carbs (kinda Ornish-lite). I've been rewarded with excellent lipid results.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Goofed off Jan thru March. It's a surprise that regaining a foundation has been difficult. After a few weeks on the elliptical I'm cycling again. Just ten miles a day. Hope to do some climbs and longer distances soon. Not pushing that hard, I'm 65.

Will do Astoria OR to Missoula MT on a club ride in Sept. Plan is to do coast to coast in two weeks per year increments.

ETA....Neat experience this morning: Two young mule deer crossed the road in front of me and then trotted/loped alongside for a good quarter mile. Every so often one would look over and be a little startled I was still around.

ETA: Just did a 25 mile out and back w/1800' climbing. Foundation is back.

ETA: Went on riding 10 miles/day, then 20. Not stressing, just steady. Rode the 25 mile out and back seven times this week. Two weeks to Astoria.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Aug 28, 2016 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:26 am

I got stuck doing treadmill runs for a couple of weeks. While on vacation with the family it was just quicker and easier to hit the hotel gym.

Then, we had to take a bit of an unplanned trip to West Texas due to my f-i-l being very ill and hospitalized. We ended up staying in a hotel close to the hospital rather than at his home. So, off to the hotel gym some more.

I got sick of the treadmill and decided to hit the roads one evening. It was 102 at 7:30 pm I only did 5k, but it felt like a marathon. I got back on the treadmill the rest of the time we were there.

It was good to get back home to So Cal. (Oh, and my f-i-l pulled through and is now in a rehab facility and will hopefully be able to return to his home in the next couple of months.)^
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by CalVol
I got sick of the treadmill and decided to hit the roads one evening. It was 102 at 7:30 pm I only did 5k, but it felt like a marathon. I got back on the treadmill the rest of the time we were there.

It was good to get back home to So Cal. (Oh, and my f-i-l pulled through and is now in a rehab facility and will hopefully be able to return to his home in the next couple of months.)^
Great to hear that your FIL pulled through! ^

If you're running outside (or nearly anything else outside), you really need to get up early and get out by 6-7am. When I was training for an Oct marathon in AZ, I typically was out running at 5, so I was home by 8am.

As for me, I've mostly just been swimming lately, along with some long hikes/walks with the dog. Since we moved to Texas, I've found some great trails nearby. Eventually, perhaps even next year, I'd like to do the hike to Machu Picchu.
I swam what was supposed to be a 4000m swim recently; either I've drastically improved, or the course was a bit short (my time was 56min, when on a good day it should be about 1:04). I'm swimming a 5k in Pennsylvania in late Aug (it will be my 3rd time at that one), and probably at least part of the Highland Lakes Challenge, here in the Austin area, in Oct.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Great to hear that your FIL pulled through! ^

If you're running outside (or nearly anything else outside), you really need to get up early and get out by 6-7am. When I was training for an Oct marathon in AZ, I typically was out running at 5, so I was home by 8am.

As for me, I've mostly just been swimming lately, along with some long hikes/walks with the dog. Since we moved to Texas, I've found some great trails nearby. Eventually, perhaps even next year, I'd like to do the hike to Machu Picchu.
I swam what was supposed to be a 4000m swim recently; either I've drastically improved, or the course was a bit short (my time was 56min, when on a good day it should be about 1:04). I'm swimming a 5k in Pennsylvania in late Aug (it will be my 3rd time at that one), and probably at least part of the Highland Lakes Challenge, here in the Austin area, in Oct.
Thanks.

I'm doing the Inca Trail in about 3 weeks. My bucket list is pretty small. Doing this trek was pretty high up.

Sounds like you're just turning into a beast...might have to change your handle to aquaman!

I know I should run in the morning. I just HATE exercising in the morning. I can get up, go to work, even do manual labor. For some reason, it just kills me to run or lift early in the morning. I'm actually heading to the gym at lunch today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.