Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by annerj
I'm not familiar with audacity...I'll have to look it up!
In February, I hosted guests and dropped off the radar, gaining 20 lb. in the process.

At the end of March, I restarted my program, and I have now not only lost everything I gained, and achieved the same program I was doing when I quit, but I am actually in better shape now and am angling to rev up the intensity. !! Feels good.

How've you been doing on your program?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did 11 bike ride today, plus walked up/down some really steep hills at the beach. A friend is looking at buying a place (near top overlooking water) & we didn't make it up too far riding before we got off & walked up/down the 2 hills w/ our bikes to look at the houses for sale.

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:04 pm

Just slogging away at marathon training, and trying to find ways to incorporate some sort of useful activity during trips (I do not bring my racing wheelchair with me on casual trips, because that's more nervous aggravation than I can cope with, so I can't just "go for a run" without it).

Two weeks ago I managed to blow a tire that I didn't have a spare for, so I lost a week waiting for a tire and then a week on travel.

Today I went out on the new tire (which held up, thank goodness) but did something painful to my wrist. Feels like one step forward, two steps back.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

Hang in there Katja!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:14 pm

Thanks, Sharon!

The new tire has held up for a couple of training sessions now, so that's good. I decided that I was trying to increase mileage too much, too fast, so I've gone out for a couple of easy 5 mile pushes with no wrist pain so far.

Next week I'm in AMS and MUC for 2 weeks and I figure all those cobblestones will give me the workout I need.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did my half on Sunday. I finished in 2:38, which is about 20 minutes slower than my road time would have been, based on training times. It was a very challenging course, some steep ups and downs and some tricky single tracks. Fort Ord was lovely. The last two miles were nearly all uphill and it was getting warm and that was tough. I mostly walked all the steep uphills and ran all the flats and downhills, except those that were too steep. Very fun!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Katja
Thanks, Sharon!

The new tire has held up for a couple of training sessions now, so that's good. I decided that I was trying to increase mileage too much, too fast, so I've gone out for a couple of easy 5 mile pushes with no wrist pain so far.

Next week I'm in AMS and MUC for 2 weeks and I figure all those cobblestones will give me the workout I need.
I'm usually the queen of trying to do too much, too fast & end up taking 5 steps back/getting injured. Def the cobblestones will provide a workout. I might be just missing you in AMS.

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I did my half on Sunday. I finished in 2:38, which is about 20 minutes slower than my road time would have been, based on training times. It was a very challenging course, some steep ups and downs and some tricky single tracks. Fort Ord was lovely. The last two miles were nearly all uphill and it was getting warm and that was tough. I mostly walked all the steep uphills and ran all the flats and downhills, except those that were too steep. Very fun!
Congrats! Well done!

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Def the cobblestones will provide a workout. I might be just missing you in AMS.
Given the current weather there, I think there's going to be a lot of museum visiting and not so much outdoor pushing. If you see me, be sure to say hello! (Wouldn't that be fun?)

Congratulations!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I swam my first 5k on Sunday:
http://hazyracing.weebly.com/5k-swim-race.html

Was visiting family in PA, and noticed that this was nearby, and it was only $25. Heck for that, if I woke up and the weather was crummy, I would have just gone back to bed.

My finish time was about 1:33, which was a little slower than I had wanted, but not bad for a first time. I hadn't been swimming (or doing much of anything) for the past few weeks either. Went nearly from one vacation in the Canadian Maritimes (where I swam just twice) to another in PA. I did get in a few lake swims before/after, which I think helped.

A couple of quirks about this race:
* they also did a sprint triathlon, that started first. the fog was very thick (I'll add in a picture of before/after), that they delayed the start about 30 min.
* it was 4 loops around a kind of rectangular course. we had to get out every loop to walk across a meter to get splits (never had that happen before)
* on my 3rd and 4th loops, the kayakers on one side kept pushing swimmers toward the side of the lake. I was sighting and trying to swim the most direct route (as that is how distance is measured). I thought maybe it was just me, but I chatted with some others afterward and they agreed. Then we noticed they did it to others who were still in the water after we finished.
* there were 30 people who began, 29 finished (not sure why the 1 guy dropped out). just a handful wore wetsuits, I'm guessing maybe 5 max. I wore just a brief and was fine.

Water temp was about perfect--72F. Wasn't too clear, and I was a bit cautious with even trying to stand at the start, never know what you're standing on

Given the cost, I'll definitely try to do this again. Can always swing a visit with family, and it was only 25 min from my Mom's house. ^

Here's the before/after pictures of the lake:
before:

after:

On Friday (2 days before), I went with my sister and kids to Ricketts Glen State Park. Probably did much more hiking (about 7 miles) than I should have, but I was rewarded with some awesome waterfall views!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Wow, that's foggy! Congratulations.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I whined enough about crappy rental bicycles to get my father to get me a road bike. I got a 2015 Trek Lexa: it's lightweight, not fluorescent, and cost under $700. I'm doing a metric half-century in about a month, if I remember to sign up for it. I've already gone that far before; it's hard but incredibly doable. Eventually I want to ride 100 miles in a single day.

The other day we cycled round-trip from Lowell, MA to Pelham, NH. This basically led to the discovery of what I now call a bike-through New Hampshire liquor store: I took a selfie in my helmet near the wine. We also went cycling Sunday.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2:38 is GREAT! Congrats

(2:18 based on training is REALLY nice)!!

*my wife, ever the non-runner has started running. She is working to sub 3:00 for her halfs.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I whined enough about crappy rental bicycles to get my father to get me a road bike. I got a 2015 Trek Lexa: it's lightweight, not fluorescent, and cost under $700. I'm doing a metric half-century in about a month, if I remember to sign up for it. I've already gone that far before; it's hard but incredibly doable. Eventually I want to ride 100 miles in a single day.

The other day we cycled round-trip from Lowell, MA to Pelham, NH. This basically led to the discovery of what I now call a bike-through New Hampshire liquor store: I took a selfie in my helmet near the wine. We also went cycling Sunday.
NICE! Let us know how the half goes. 100 miles in a day is doable for sure with the right training. I've done it a few times and while its not easy it is a nice sense of accomplishment.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been MIA from the forum for a while. Not sure why, just slipped off my radar.

This summer I did a lot less biking (just couldn't get focused/motivated for what has become the ultimate time suck.....getting helmet, shorts and clip shoes on, airing up the tires, fighting the wind (and cold this summer), etc). Instead I really did a TON of rowing.

Row times are really looking good for the 2k and the 10k. If I can keep this up, I see no reason I can't win every event I enter in the Denver regional rowing competition in 2015

My go-to row working is:
warm up
2000 meters
3 minutes rest
1500 meters
3 minutes rest
1000 meters
3 minutes rest
500 meters
3 minutes rest
cool down
(about 40 minutes in total)

Trying to get the total row time (5000 meters) under 18 minutes. Getting CLOSER and CLOSER
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I don't know how I missed this (and I even posted after your post).

Congratulations! That sounds like a wild course. I remember running in the Monterey area while I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey, back in 1989-1990. Talk about fog and hills!

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
So a metric half century is 50km or somewhere around 32 miles? That doesn't sound bad at all, depending on hills of course

My longest ride ever was el Tour de Tucson, almost 2 years ago. 112 miles.

Originally Posted by annerj
I've been MIA from the forum for a while. Not sure why, just slipped off my radar.

This summer I did a lot less biking (just couldn't get focused/motivated for what has become the ultimate time suck.....getting helmet, shorts and clip shoes on, airing up the tires, fighting the wind (and cold this summer), etc). Instead I really did a TON of rowing.
I've hardly been in this forum either. Seems when I'm on FT, the AA forums have kept me rather busy lately

And I haven't ridden at all for I think 4-5 months. I still do spin at the gym twice a week, but mostly lost interest in riding outside. I figure I'll do it if/when the desire hits.

I've been doing much more swimming lately, usually 5-6x a week. Not necessarily longer, but hopefully better quality workouts with the team. Eventually I'd like to swim a 10k, to see how I like longer swims, and possibly expand on from there (who knows maybe even the Channel some day, if/when I have the money and time).

I have also been walking my dog quite a bit, about 10-11 miles a week. Maybe after the weather cools off a bit, we'll get back into that running thing.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 11, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.