The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just back from doc's office. No surgery required. Said bone will fuse back on its own. He wanted to put a foot cast on it, but I said the current removable cast is fine. He said I can start to put pressure on it, but to go by feel. If it hurts, stop.

He said it will be 4 weeks before I can ride a bicycle, 6 weeks before I can start walking for exercise, and 10 weeks if I played softball (I don't).

He also said to expect to still swell/ache through end of summer.

So hopefully I'll remember the shifting gears part in 4 weeks!

Cheers.
Sorry to hear this.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Ugh, summer is the worst time for that to happen. Can you maybe swim or do something non-weight bearing? Trying to think what else would work.
I know - I was really looking forward to the biking & walking with good weather & having time to really get in the swing of things before next winter.

I can call doc & ask about swimming. Years ago when I was on a corporate running team I tore my Achilles tendon (other ankle) & swimming was the only thing that seemed to help w/ recovery. But IIRC I wasn't allowed to start the swimming until several weeks later, so it might be that swimming is the same timeframe as the biking in this instance.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:47 am

@ 300/300 now. Trying to do it faster, too, to keep the time creep at bay.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by anonplz
Has anyone here ever gone to K2 base camp?
For those who are interested, I found a 2010 article from the NY Times - a writer doing research on the 2008 K2 catastrophe trekked to K2 base camp, and even THAT was a challenge, and the altitude sickness alone brought his journey to a quick end. Sobering for me, because I've suffered altitude sickness at just 8,000 feet. And of course, living at sea level, one isn't acclimated to high altitudes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/travel/17K2.html
Old May 22, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've suffered altitude sickness at just 8,000 feet.
EEK.

*knock on wood* I've never had it. It can be nasty stuff

*we live 6000+ and our summer place is closer to 8500 and we hike above that fairly often.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
EEK.

*knock on wood* I've never had it. It can be nasty stuff

*we live 6000+ and our summer place is closer to 8500 and we hike above that fairly often.
Well of course, you live at a high altitude, so naturally, you're acclimated. I recall I got lightheaded and a headache, and it started to get a little scary, like '... is going on? Why do I feel high?'
Old May 22, 2013, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well of course, you live at a high altitude, so naturally, you're acclimated.
yep

I recall I got lightheaded and a headache, and it started to get a little scary, like '... is going on? Why do I feel high?'
I think one of the keys to this is lots and lots of water.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Well of course, you live at a high altitude, so naturally, you're acclimated. I recall I got lightheaded and a headache, and it started to get a little scary, like '... is going on? Why do I feel high?'
I climbed Mt Fuji when I was in grad school. I did absolutely no training for it, actually was in horrible shape at the time. I did a semester in Japan, and a group of us decided that since we were there, we'd climb.

The climbing season is pretty short, just about a month or 2. You can climb all the way from the bottom, but most people start at about the 4th or 5th station (I can't remember), and that's where we went. We were able to take a bus all the way from Tokyo to the start. Our plan was to start around 4pm, hike until 10-11pm, then get up around 2-3am and be at the summit for sunrise.

It was really hot and exceptionally humid when we did this...a weekend in July. Weather at the start was similar as Tokyo. It got a little cooler as we began, between the sun going down and some slight elevation. We ended up stopping earlier, I think around 9pm, and I had a tough time sleeping. It seemed that by the time I fell asleep it was time to wake up. And there were way too many people, the climbing was steep, and we didn't quite make it to the summit for sunrise.

I was really surprised how much colder it was on top. Well there is a glacier, there's snow, and you need a winter coat. Gloves were a necessity also...both for the cold as well as the climb toward the top (it was pretty steep and it seemed all hands and feet). There are ropes, but they're more guides than actually pulling yourself up.
Once on top though, the commercialization took over. There were Coke machines (I think $5 for a can of Coke), as well as other snack shops. There were some places along the way to stop for food/water, but it is always good to bring some with you.

If you want something easier, to work your way up to a bigger climb, I'd definitely recommend Mt Fuji. Plus you can see Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and even go to Tokyo Disneyland

Oh, and on the way down, definitely pay attention to the route you took up. We ended up going down the wrong way...and had to take a side route to correct. Thankfully we discovered this somewhat early on, or it would have been bad.

A week or 2 later I took the bullet train down to Kyoto. It was much more pleasant seeing Fuji from the window as we sped by
Old May 27, 2013, 10:33 am

Other ankle has developed problems due to compensating for the fractured ankle & from slight sprain to it on initial fall when the other got fractured, so now right ankle is in an ace to help provide support. It feels a bit like the left ankle but I'm hoping it's just severe strain. I look like an idiot or one of those people you feel sorry for as they shuffle around, with the left in removable cast & the right in ace.

I'm looking at early July before I can do any exercise activities at this point.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm looking at early July before I can do any exercise activities at this point.

Cheers.
Does your gym have a hand bike? May look a little silly, and I know many people think its just for therapy but it can be a really good workout.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Nine months post-MI. Still doing target HR training, one hour per day, now at 120. Recovery rate seems to be increasing. Hauled five loads of wood from the forest....blocked up and stacking.

I enjoy feeling fit, and my moods are upbeat.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Nine months post-MI. Still doing target HR training, one hour per day, now at 120. Recovery rate seems to be increasing. Hauled five loads of wood from the forest....blocked up and stacking.

I enjoy feeling fit, and my moods are upbeat.
I think the mood lift is probably the side benefit to working out that I enjoy more than anything. ^

Did my workout, and as of tonight, my BMI is 21.6. I don't need to lose any more, so I can stabilize now, even pig out tomorrow, lol.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't need to lose any more
Congrats!

Now onto maintence and continuing to get functionaly stronger/more fit.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:42 am

Congrats!
thanks.

Now onto maintence and continuing to get functionaly stronger/more fit.
Yes - by the way, do you have an ideal you're shooting for? How far are you from it, if so?
Old May 30, 2013, 1:22 pm

Does your gym have a hand bike? May look a little silly, and I know many people think its just for therapy but it can be a really good workout.
I don't belong to a gym. Dropped membership a couple of years ago when finances got tight. So was going to start to do the walking/biking outside & some light free weights that I mentioned earlier before getting injured.

Might join the community center which has a Olympic size pool & also a small workout room w/ weight machines/weights/few treadmills & bikes, but that probably won't be until July when I'm closer to being able to do things again & when hopefully I've been paid by client. It's not fancy, but would do the trick.

My health club in LA had a hand bike and saw folk using it, not to mention folk at ortho/physical therapy spots.

Will work on eating better since I can't really do any/much exercise short-term.

A friend stopped by this morning to drop something off. She had been very encouraging re: my getting into bike riding this summer. She reminded me I'll be able to ride in the fall too, so to look at this as a temporary hiccup.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.