Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
* Oct 14, Tour de Scottsdale (70 miles)

* Nov 17, el Tour de Tucson (111 miles)
Both rides are on my list to do.....one of these years.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by annerj
Both rides are on my list to do.....one of these years.
Cool, well let me know if you'll ever come down this way to do one (or both) of them
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool, well let me know if you'll ever come down this way to do one (or both) of them
For sure. You can show us around the area
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Edinburgh 10km ( 6 mile run) 7th October

Hi,

I just did a 10k run in Edinburgh ( about 5,000 people) starting in Holyrood Park.

It was a beautiful autumnal day ( a bit cool to start with ground frost en route to Edinburgh)

I did the 10km ( 6 mile) course in 47:56 and came about 740th.

I could have done it a bit faster but the first 4k in Holyrood park was on one lane of road each way and with the numbers it was difficult to get a steady pace going and overtake people but I'm pleased with the time.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:25 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:53 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Solid time! congrats

When I was in running shape I was only in sub 50 10k shape for a very small window.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:32 pm

Hi,

I just did a 10k run in Edinburgh ( about 5,000 people) starting in Holyrood Park.

It was a beautiful autumnal day ( a bit cool to start with ground frost en route to Edinburgh)

I could have done it a bit faster but the first 4k in Holyrood park was on one lane of road each way and with the numbers it was difficult to get a steady pace going and overtake people but I'm pleased with the time.

Regards

TBS
Great job!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Hi,

Regards

TBS
Good job!

I'm hoping to run a 10K in 75 minutes. Of course, I have to start running again
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:26 pm

Did 5.5 miles on the treadmill at 11:30 pace. Then walked about a mile to pick up my car from the dealership where it was getting serviced.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalVol
Did 5.5 miles on the treadmill at 11:30 pace. Then walked about a mile to pick up my car from the dealership where it was getting serviced.
Nice! Glad to see you getting back. Slowly but surely

I did Tour de Scottsdale this morning. Here's what I posted over on dailymile:

Tour de Scottsdale 68.22 mi 03:11 21.4mph pace

I'm still in shock with my finish. I thought I'd be under 4 hours, secretly thought maybe I could pull off a 3:30, but never in my life did I think I'd go this fast. We had near perfect conditions--about 65F at the start, about 80 when I finished. Evidently I got with a good group, and kept going. For the first ~5 miles, I saw my splits and thought, "well that's the initial rush, things will taper off soon." Only they didn't. The scenery is amazing on the course--the only thing that could have been better is if I had seen the fountain going off when we went through Fountain Hills, but I've heard it smells. Excellent support--cops out blocking traffic at every intersection, and the cars that were there were aware and friendly. Plus an awesome setup at the finish. I'd definitely recommend this, and I'll have to plan to do this again.
And here's the Strava link:
http://app.strava.com/rides/25019927

I've never averaged 20 mph for a ride, heck I think last week when I rode the Beeline (AZ 87) my 19ish was my fastest. I blew that away this morning

While that was well and good for this, I definitely need to take it down a notch for Tucson, if I want to survive the whole 111 miles.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21.4mph pace
Wow man 20+ is insane (or as I call it "real" biker speed).

my wife has crept up into the high 16s low 17s at the end of the season. I'm still trying to get out of the 15s most rides.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:09 pm

Wow man 20+ is insane (or as I call it "real" biker speed).

my wife has crept up into the high 16s low 17s at the end of the season. I'm still trying to get out of the 15s most rides.
Lol, the race winner finished in like 2:32, still ~40 min faster than me
My overall place was 279 (out of 1071 finishers) and 52 in my age group (out of 162).
There's some speedy guys out there!!!!

For me, the new bike really helped. When riding my cross bike, I was holding about 17 mph, and really struggled on hills or in wind (and when there were both my mouth went crazy).
I'm not saying the new bike makes the hills go smooth or the winds disappear, but it is a huge difference. Especially when I ride it after riding my cross bike.

That said, I still kinda feel like a poser with cycling. There's so much I don't know...so much to learn. About the bike itself (my recent clicking noise was an adventure for my mechanics and I), about riding, pacing, clothing, training, etc. The more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. The nice thing is, most other cyclists are very friendly, and happy to help.
Yea, some aerobic base carries over from swimming and running, but cycling is really quite unique.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, I still kinda feel like a poser with cycling. There's so much I don't know...so much to learn. About the bike itself (my recent clicking noise was an adventure for my mechanics and I), about riding, pacing, clothing, training, etc. The more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. The nice thing is, most other cyclists are very friendly, and happy to help.
And this is why I'll never be a real biker. I just want to ride...the more I have to think about it the less likely I'll do it.

I'm the guy you see in workout shorts and a T...I don't wear the gear, I don't spend a lot of time doing stuff to my bike (I keep the local bike shop busy). I'm just not interested in all the "stuff" that goes with biking.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:52 am

I'm the guy you see in workout shorts and a T...I don't wear the gear, I don't spend a lot of time doing stuff to my bike (I keep the local bike shop busy). I'm just not interested in all the "stuff" that goes with biking.
I used to hear my triathlon friends talking about spending $100+ on bike shorts and wonder WFT.
But they really do make a difference. I wouldn't think of riding without bike shorts, except maybe a 5-10 mile fun ride. They help with both the padding and for compression. Especially on a 3-4 hour ride, the compression helps keep me going.
The jersey isn't a huge deal for me, but the pockets on the back make it easy to keep stuff handy. I keep my phone, inhaler, snack, a spare tube, and some CO2 tubes there, plus my cleat covers (when they're not on my shoes).

And I certainly keep my shop busy too. Much of anything beyond changing a flat, and I'd rather they do it. And sometimes they've even changed flats.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to hear my triathlon friends talking about spending $100+ on bike shorts and wonder WFT.
But they really do make a difference. I wouldn't think of riding without bike shorts, except maybe a 5-10 mile fun ride. They help with both the padding and for compression. Especially on a 3-4 hour ride, the compression helps keep me going.
The jersey isn't a huge deal for me, but the pockets on the back make it easy to keep stuff handy. I keep my phone, inhaler, snack, a spare tube, and some CO2 tubes there, plus my cleat covers (when they're not on my shoes).

And I certainly keep my shop busy too. Much of anything beyond changing a flat, and I'd rather they do it. And sometimes they've even changed flats.

I'm the laziest active person you'll ever meet...I guarantee it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.