Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
...I did 6.5km's on my concept2 rower at the hardest intensity (in under 30 minutes)...
What does "hardest intensity" mean?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
Are you going to a town that doesn't have a gym within driving distance? Its well worth the $10-15 daily rate at gyms you don't belong to to avoid missing workouts.

annerj
I could probably find somewhere. I am going to the Yucatan (ex Cancun thank goodness).

But I can do weightlifting once in ten days and still see pretty good benefit.

The gyms at other places don't have shrug bars and I don't understand/like machines. So they don't do me a lot of good anyway.

Great time to barefoot run every day instead!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:44 pm

Dec 18: Weight machines Dec 17, so exercise only
1. 22.5 miles on the stationary bike (1 hour). I love biking, but I hate the stationary bikes

2. 45 min on an elliptical (Precor -- high incline/resistance). Coming off a knee injury that still limits my running, so the elliptical is a decent substitute.

3. 1.5 mile swim. /rant on: And why cannot people follow the signs? It says "lap lane - fast". I am not that fast, but why do certain people insist on getting in that lane and then either dog-paddle or walk? I am more than willing to share, but please don't expect me to slow down or stop because you choose to avoid the labeled "loafer lane" or slow lap lane. /rant off

Dec 19: worked late -- and worked later at home. threw in the towel on working out.

Dec 20:
1. Full weight machine routine (going for tone more than growth, so do all of the groups for now) Besides, I would probably have awful form on free weights. Only have been doing weights of any sort since September, but have felt like I am already getting good results. (my partner claims to see it, but I think he is just being nice to me.)

2. 45 min on an elliptical (Precor -- high incline/resistance).

3. 1 mile swim. Different club location than usual. OMG, the water was cold at this one. I wished I had my triathlon wetsuit.

Dec 21: working late tonight, so will be lucky to get in some treadmill time and excercise ball work later at home.

Last edited by dfwoods; Dec 21, 2005 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was reflecting on how much benefit I get from 45 minutes of weightlifting even if it's once in ten days. Amazing stuff. Big metabolic advantages.

I also should report that I am doing 3 - 4 hours of breathing exercises every day, which is quite excessive for most people but I seem to benefit greatly from it. I have lost 20 pounds with no effort, I am off all asthma medication (first time in my whole life), and after working out I am far, far less sore and recover very quickly. It's like a freakin' miracle how fast I recover from workouts.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Bump for the new year...how many pounds are we trying to lose from the holidays?

Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Bump for the new year...how many pounds are we trying to lose from the holidays?

My goal is drop about 20 lbs this year. I'm 6'0 (well, 5'11.75) and weigh about 198-200 depending on the day. I'd like to get down to 180 or so.

My plan: Ramp up the running mileage. I'm used to doing about 3-4 runs a week in the 3-5 mile range. I'm going to ramp up to at least 5 runs a week and make more of them 5-7 miles rather than on the 3 side. If I can run about 25 miles a week or so I'll be happy.

I'm also going to cut out deserts from my diet!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:15 pm

My exercise blog!

My first post of progress towards losing 20 lbs.

---

So far this week I have done well. Starting with Sunday I've run each of the last three days and will probably run again tomorrow before taking a rest day on Thursday. It feels good to get out there in the cold weather (not too cold in BOS right now, although the wind was a ..... tonight). Here are the past three days (all data from my Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS system):

1/1/06: 5.06 miles, 41:43 total time, 8:14 pace, 512 calories burned

1/2/06: 7.39 miles, 59:45 total time, 8:05 pace, 1091 calories burned

1/3/06: 2.63 miles, 21:29 total time, 8:10 pace, 368 calories

---
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did 3 mi on elliptical in 30 min, plus chest, triceps, and abs.

Came home and had some tuna with lemon pepper.

Does anybody know the weight of a bare Smith machine bar? I know a standard olympic barbell is 45#.
----------------------
Never mind, I just Googled it...the bare bar is 15 to 20 pounds because of the counterweight system.

Last edited by redbeard911; Jan 3, 2006 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:23 am

I think I'm going to take today off from running. Woke up a bit sore. Gotta listen to the body, know what I'm saying?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ran 2.8 miles barefoot (obviously). First run in 6 days. It feels great to get some exercise.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anybody know the weight of a bare Smith machine bar? I know a standard olympic barbell is 45#.
15-20#s is what I usually see.

Smith machine can be a good workout but it can't/doesn't/shouldn't replace true free weights.

Edited to add that I think that most of the gym quality smith machines that I've used have an olympic bar on them (so 45#s???). The 15-20 is home gym stuff.

annerj

Last edited by annerj; Jan 4, 2006 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
15-20#s is what I usually see.

Smith machine can be a good workout but it can't/doesn't/shouldn't replace true free weights.

Edited to add that I think that most of the gym quality smith machines that I've used have an olympic bar on them (so 45#s???). The 15-20 is home gym stuff.
See my post above. The gym quality Smith machines have counterweighted bars, so the nominal weight is 15-20#. The actual bar weight might be 45#.

I like the Smith machine because I can go for a max bench, when I'm uncomfortable doing it on a free barbell. I do lighter sets (140-150#) with a barbell to work on form. I'm almost back to 200# bench. My max (10 yrs ago) was 225, on free weights. I'd like to be close to 250 by summer.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does anyone else routinely use a shrug bar?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the Smith machine because I can go for a max bench, when I'm uncomfortable doing it on a free barbell.
No spotter? Like the motion better?

My max bench on smith machine vs free weight bar is very different. Also I don't care much for Smith when doing higher reps (currently doing sets of 20) as I don't think it works those stablizer muscles much (my preference for 20's is dumbells)

annerj
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
does anyone else routinely use a shrug bar?
http://www.fractionalplates.com/equi...hrugbarac.html

This shrug bar (A.K.A. Trap Bar)? Not very often.

I don't do dead lifts. I've used it for squats as it seems to be easier on my back, shrugs, and I love to farmer walk with it when I'm in a heavy leg cycle.

annerj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.