Reload this Page >

Stand up paddleboarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stand up paddleboarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Stand up paddleboarding

Has anyone else tried this?

I did it for the first time in Rio last year. I had been wanting to try it, was walking along Copacabana, someone asked and told me the price, somewhere around $5, so I gave it a shot. I think I spent quite a bit of time in the water, on my knees on the board, and not too much time actually standing. I think I did about an hour and i was wiped out after that. At least the water was warm, probably in the low/mid 80s F.

While on a family vacation at the New Jersey shore, we were wanting something to do one day, and I found a place that delivered boards to a cove about 3 blocks from where we were staying. I wasn't sure how many people would want to do it and reserved 6 boards (at $30 each). It turned out we had more people interested, but we were able to rotate out. I was out on the water for about 40-45 min out of the hour. I did fall a few times, mostly when I was using a smaller, narrower board. There was a little chop from the ocean. And the water was very chilly, mid 60s F.

Last weekend I decided to try it out here in Austin. I found a place right on Lady Bird Lake and it was $19 for an hour. The water was warm and very calm. I had a few close calls, but didn't fall. There was a little headwind and I found it was faster/easier to get on my knees and paddle through it. There were some great views of the area, plus plenty of others out on the lake on paddles, in kayaks, paddle boats, etc.

As I look at the places I travel, it seems many have SUP somewhere nearby, as long as there is water. For now it doesn't seem worth it to me to actually buy a board, and a roof rack for my car to transport it.
For $20 or so it seems like a nice way to check out an area, exercise, and have fun all at the same time.

So let's get the conversation started. Anyone else do it, want to do it, or think I'm crazy for doing it?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sounds like a lot of fun - and exercise!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So I went out again today, had more fun doing it.

People keep asking me about it... It requires balance, really works the stabilizer muscles in your legs (I guess a Bosu ball at a gym would be similar), your core, and of course your arms. A whole body workout, but much different than swimming.

I saw a group of women doing yoga on boards. Now that looked challenging, and not something I'm up to. Not yet at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.