PT/INR selftesting machines vs. local doctor / clinic when travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Just wondering if anybody has had positive or negative experiences using self-testing machines for checking INR when travelling. I'm on warfarin (aka Coumadin) after a pulmonary embolism but have been given ok for long-haul travel again subject to various restrictions from my anti-coagulation team - one of which is getting my INR checked after a long-haul flight (and again before the return)

As my next trip takes me to Hong Kong, China and Japan I've been trying to work out what makes most sense - going to a local doctor / clinic is one option, and should be fairly easy in Hong Kong at least (have emailed the private firm that runs medical centre in HKIA, I'm a former customer of theirs when severe food poisoning hit me on a flight from BKK a few years back!), but obviously a bit of a pain if schedules change, language etc.

Other option is a self check machine, not cheap, but certain offerings appear to be well regarded, and would free me from trying to schedule appointments from several thousand miles away! (I also have one eye on the long-term as I usually take 3-4 long haul trips a year)

To be clear, machine would be a "first line of defence", if my INR was marginal I'd head to a doctor for a professional test ASAP

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
A friend's husband just used one for the first time a few weeks ago. I think he had a good experience with it. I don't know if they "borrowed" one or purchased one though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.