Search

Nudity in German Hotel spas!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mag
And: When entering a Steam Room / Steam Sauna, you go completely naked and leave the towel outside, as it is too wet inside. When getting up / before leaving, you rinse / spray the area you were seated with a hose usually provided at the wall.
This is true all over the world. Even in the USA. Although not everyone in the world follows this logic.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Spire elite; Club Carlson; Accor
Confused in Cyprus

I was confused a month ago when staying at an hotel in Cyprus. I do like to go to the sauna so went down and was told that there were two saunas and one would be working. Well I took off my spectacles and without them cannot read much! Found the working sauna and went in. People were wearing trunks although one or two had towels around them. Next day it was the other sauna working; same procedure.

Next day it was the other way around again but this time I was still wearing the spectacles and read notices to the effect that the inner sauna was a nude sauna and the outer one a clothed one. It didn't seem to make any difference though - everyone wore trunks.

Confusing or what??? Moral - don't take off your spectacles!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by leopardeuro
Moral - don't take off your spectacles!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can happen in many/most places outside US, where nudity is not seen as a big deal

some high temperature amenities say swimwear is not allowed (because of temperature)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
can happen in many/most places outside US, where nudity is not seen as a big deal

some high temperature amenities say swimwear is not allowed (because of temperature)
Unless talking about the poor and/or young children who count on open bodies of water for free bathing -- not just the recreational variety of bathing -- public nudity or nude exposure in front of strangers is not generally considered within the norm for ordinary adults in most places outside of the U.S.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Ok, question, as an American male: I'm in a sauna naked and a hot naked, woman walks in and even if I try not to look, the inevitable happens. The rules, etiquette don't allow me to cover myself. Then what?? I'm sure I'm not the only guy this might happen to.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

You can (or shuld) take a towel over your that part what you need to hide...
If you search for Sauna Pictures you will see many people cover the body with.

But for a Male its natural to react that way in front an attractive women.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Ok, question, as an American male: I'm in a sauna naked and a hot naked, woman walks in and even if I try not to look, the inevitable happens. The rules, etiquette don't allow me to cover myself. Then what?? I'm sure I'm not the only guy this might happen to.
Yes, you would be the only guy at the sauna like that. If you can't control yourself, don't go. You wouldn't be welcome anyways.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In topless/bottomless beaches and pools in Europe, there seems to be an etiquette that people don't look.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Welcome to German sauna, OP.

It's very much the norm here. Coming from an American mindset, it can be unsettling the first (or second, third, fourth) time you partake.

A few FAQ:

Are there hot, nubile women? Yes

Are there old, saggy dudes? Yes (x10)

Do the old saggy dudes (or even the young fit ones) leer at the hot, nubile women? No.

Sexuality and nudity are very much decoupled in the sauna environment. The eyes do not travel, typically (though I can understand how a non-German guy would be sneaking looks).

You can cover with a towel, and many women (and some guys) do, but make sure to keep your feet on the towel too!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FonzieBone

Do the old saggy dudes (or even the young fit ones) leer at the hot, nubile women? No.
The answer to the question is "sometimes yes" and not always a "no".
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
if it starts to "happen" - look at one of the old saggy dudes !
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This just reminded me of a time at Sauna Deco in Amsterdam, which is a nice relatively upscale place I go to from time to time. One time I noticed a couple of young American guys talking to each other there in amazement. They looked like Marines and my guess was they were "dared" to go to the sauna by their buddies. There faces were red and they kept their towels firmly on. I didn't even see them enter the showers. About 5 minutes later I saw them with their clothes back on heading out the door. They just were not ready for this.

Like I said upthread, at the family saunas you don't see adolescents there. You see parents and young children. So maybe you need to be a parent first of all to get over the nudity aspect.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
if it starts to "happen" - look at one of the old saggy dudes !
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
As a Canadian with no such opportunities at home, I try to visit a sauna complex when traveling through Europe on a layover. Several airports have nearby baths, and some have hotels on the premises (e.g. Boetfort in Brussels, Zuiver in Amsterdam, Erding in Munich).

In fact, I was at Erding last weekend. I observed a young lady wearing bikini bottoms following her naked boyfriend into the pool. An attendant happened to walk by at that moment and told her in no uncertain terms to remove the clothing or remove herself from the premises. After some hemming and hawing, she decided to strip down. No doubt after 5-10 minutes amongst hundreds of other nude people, it was no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.