Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Nudity in German Hotel spas!!!

Nudity in German Hotel spas!!!

Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Soap has never touched my bathing suit. It is rinsed in cold water, well, after each wearing.
My wife does the same thing but when she was in a sauna in Slovenia (after getting the same lecture as many above from the attendant) she decided that she would "hide" her bathing suit bottom in a wrapped towel. After 20 minutes of sweating, the towel absorbed some of the color (or dirt or chlorine or sea water residue) from the bathing suit and was no longer pure white. So I can definitely see why the sauna management would insist on towels only, even from the most fastidious of bathing suit washers. I'm not sure it's a health issue so much as a cleaning issue.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
It seems there is still a remaining Puritan value in many US born citizens. This topic on FT reminded me of an article of a study, which also goes hand and hand with the Americans who have very long work hours compared to many other countries. In my work life 50-60-70 hours a week was the norm. Being nude anywhere but my home (or hotel room) was not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/op...l-puritan.html

My mother was from France. The woman never wore underpants her whole life.
I, her American born daughter, even wore underpants under my long pajamas and for some reason this angered her. She never won that battle.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just remembered a funny scene at the old Sheraton Western Cape in South Africa. It's like Holland when it comes to saunas so everyone is nude. I went down to the spa early one afternoon and it was pretty empty. I was in the jacuzzi and an American couple arrived, I think on their honeymoon. Only they missed the sign at the entrance that is clothing optional. They got into the jacuzzi with me in their swimwear and we had a brief chat. Then as I stood up to exit the jacuzzi their eyes shot open and the woman almost screamed. She then looked around and saw another nude couple and you could see the shock and confusion on her face. I kindly let them know that America is not the norm when it comes to spas and that they didn't accidently enter a sex club.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Is there anythink wrong with nudity?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM. OnePass
I just had a blast reading the original post and the comments. Too too funny.

Basic sauna etiquette in Germany requires you to wash from head to toe WITH soap. Then you may cover your perfectly clean naked self in a robe or wrap in a towel. Once inside the sauna you place said towel on the bench, place your naked and clean bum on it and sweat only on your towel. Nobody wants to place their bums on a bench covered with somebody elses sweat, be it from feet, butts or running down a back and soaking through swim shorts or bathing suits.
Lastly you shower again, put on the clean robe and go rest a while. Any owner of a german washing machine will wash anything made out of terrycloth at at least 60 C.. I feel confident institutions like a health club will use the same method. Washing below that temp will make sure the bacteria and microorganisms in your clothes are nice and clean and ready to explode in the warmth.
It's your choice to visit a single sex or co-ed sauna. In both situations you should be able to asume and expect to have your privacy respected and respect everybody elses.

I loved the post on family saunas! Kids, parents, grandparents, everybody having a good time (and yes, jumping into the snow in winter is a TREAT for all ages).
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Red face Similar experience in Munich in 1980

First of all there is nothing 'wrong' with nudity (@ToGo - so don't get all righteous) in the US it is not something most Americans are used to in co-ed situations, does not make us bad people (uptight maybe but not bad). In 1980 we were staying at a hotel in Munich (I think the Holiday Inn), my friend and I (both female in our 20's) decided to go for a swim in the indoor pool, we saw a sign that said 'Sauna' so figured we would give it a try. We saw one young man go in, we followed shortly after, when we opened the door of the sauna we came face to face with the same young man, this time he was completely naked. We exited quickly assuming we missed the sign that said 'mens locker room' . We went back into the pool, and then saw 3 older ladies enter through same door, we figured they made the same mistake we did but they never came out! We assumed the naked guy was the one in the wrong, this time we opened the door of the sauna to find the old ladies and the young guy all naked in the sauna. so the two uptight American girls went back to the pool, which thankfully for us, allowed swimsuits! Looking back should have gone for it, 35 years later definitely not up for baring it all to the world.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM. OnePass
Does anybody hear share my love of Bill Bryson?
I quote from "A short history of everything", chapter 20 "Small Worlds"

If you are in good health and averagely diligent about hygiene, you will have a herd of about 1 trillion bacteria grazing on your fleshy plains - about a hundred thousand of them on every square centimeter of skin. They are there to dine off the 10 billion or so flakes of skin you shed every day, plus all the tasty oils and minerals that seep out from every pore and fissure. You are for them the ultimate buffet, with the added convenience of warmth and mobility thrown in. By way of thanks, they give you B.O.

It's gross. And hilarious. I love that man.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:44 am

Jeannie TX - Love the bit about your Friench mom and the underpants.... clearly you did not take after her.. LOL
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Any owner of a german washing machine will wash anything made out of terrycloth at at least 60 C..
And you know any German?
Good that i am not an German so i wash my Cloth with 40C Water. Does i have to feel bad now or dirty?
went back to the pool, which thankfully for us, allowed swimsuits!
I dont know any (Hotel) Pool where you must swim Nude. 99,9% of all Public Bath/ Pool are for People with a common Swimmwear.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:55 am

I think the Germans have it right. They don't have hangups about the human body like Brits and Americans. This is their custom and you were in Germany!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

For Americans, what we might wear in a pool as a bathing suit (i.e. lose shorts) is not a bathing suit in other countries.
It's a bathing suit in every country to which I've been, and I do get around.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Off toping but funny.....

When biking along the Rhine (Karlsrhue to Strasbourg) my partner and I stopped at a pool near Strasbourg France for a cooling swim. He had a pair of boxer style swim trunks and jumped in. The pool 'police' asked him to leave the pool as only briefs aka Speedos, were allowed. He was irate and tied up the edges of his trunks with his socks in an effort to circumvent this rule. Laughing, they again insisted that he leave.

Rules are rules!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have an opposite story.

About 20 years ago, a childhood friend (who is a LH F/A) and one of her girlfriends were visiting me from Germany. They both were mid-20s at the time, still newbies to the airlines, and totally unaware of American Puritan standards.

I lived in a condo complex with community clubhouse, pool, jacuzzi, sauna.

While I was at work one day, they were lying out by the pool. They decided to go into the sauna. So, they come from the pool, showered off in the women's locker room, stripped, and walked into the co-ed sauna.

The two men in the sauna (one in his 60s, the other early 70s) were quite taken aback to see the door open and two tall, blond German women (both well-gifted physically) walk in naked and sit down on a towel.

The men did not say a thing. Maybe they thought it was heat stroke.

But until the time I sold my condo, I often was asked when my friends were coming back to visit!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: HHonors
My husband is 66 years old and attended public high school here in NYC. His was a school with a pool and he tells me that nothing woke you up better than second period swimming in the winter. The pool room was not heated and the boys used no swimsuits. They couldn't wait to jump in to the heated water. So even in the northeast swimming in the buff was not uncommon back in the day. Today, the kids wear swimsuits.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:30 pm

Yes, totally normal in Germany. Flip coin of the story:
When moving to US, young German man finds himself using sauna in his apartment complex in one of the Western US states. Properly forewarned about American customs, he carefully studies the instructions outside the sauna. Yes, the little stick figures are only wearing a towel, so he enters and lies down on the towel. Next thing is two women shrieking and running out of the sauna, only to return a short time later with security, who are ready to throw him out of the apartment complex. His foreign accent rescues him --- lesson learned.
As an aside, I'm grossed out when I see people in their swim trunks sweating all over the sauna benches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.