Reload this Page >

2015: The 10,000 step challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Who else is up for doing the 10,000 (average) daily step challenge?

You can use whatever tracking device you'd like, all on the honor system. Pretty much any movement using your feet counts, so running does, walking your dog, but not cycling, swimming or other activities.

Just check-in here periodically.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Im in. I will say I use an UPband, and when I go to spin class I put it on my shoe and it will track it a bit better, when it was on my wrist I could cycle 20 miles and get 3000 steps, now at least i can get in the high thousands.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've been just using my phone so far, so it only tracks walking/running.

Since I posted, I had 10k steps on Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed, and probably today (around 9700 so far).

It is pretty easy on weekends. I usually take my dog for a long walk with some jogging, about 4 miles. I increased it on Saturday to 5+, so made the goal just with that.
During the week it is a bit more of a challenge. Rather than surf the internet over breaks at work, I've walked around either my building or my building + next. A full loop (from desk to stairs, down, out back door, etc.) is about 1200 steps and takes about 10 min or so (there's usually a restroom break in there too, sometimes chatting with others).

I also swim and do spin. It is rather surprising how much I walk for swimming...just to get my bag close to the pool, then back to locker room after, back to car, etc.

A trip to Costco on Sunday helped add quite a bit too. I'd guess that alone was at least 1000 steps or 1/2 mile.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Amazing how much you walk while traveling...

I did a mileage run to Singapore last weekend. On Saturday, my FitBit app said I walked over 16 miles! Then another ~12 on Sunday (I went to the beach and swam, so not as much sightseeing).

That said, my dog walks have gotten longer, right around 5 miles, and are more jogging than walking. My goal is to have the whole thing turn into a jog.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I'm on Fitbit as ezp - I average 15-17k a day. It's pretty easy if you run around all day and hit the gym 5 out of 7 days a week
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:17 am
Suspended

Every day.
No fancy gear just a decent pair of Merrell Moabs and a ten dollar Omron pedometer.
And a dog.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

I may be overdoing the Merrell Moab infatuation.
Mrs Bint rolled her eyes when I came home with another new pair today - my 10th.
However they're so comfortable it's like walking in marshmallows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.