Wiki Posts
Search

Help structuring a gym routine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Help structuring a gym routine

i want to start going to the gym again. I'd like to do a mix of cardio and weight training. I don't need to gain crazy muscle mass. I just want to improve general fitness.

How do I structure a weight training routine? Ideally I'd like something like "pick an exercise from columns A,B, and C, and two from column D". It's surprisingly hard to find something that makes it brainless. All the resources I find are to the effect of "how to crush massive weights and get huge".

I'd also like to find a way to get cardio benefit from workouts, because I hate droning away on the treadmill or elliptical.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 11, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Does your gym have a pool? That's an alternative for cardio. Also, does your gym have different classes such as biking ones, which are also good for cardio? Do you know how to play basketball? A lot of gyms have pick-up games at different times.

Does your gym have a trainer? They'll show you how to use the machines/set up a routine for you. Obviously they'd like you to utilize their services on an on-going basis, but you can use them 1-2x to get the routine set up & then do it on your own moving forward.

I primarily used weight machines vs. free weights (free weights more for biceps & triceps).

You can also google beginner's weight training. A lot of links come up w/ suggestions/illustrations/timeframes, from those for body builders to those for nerds.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I do a 15 minute workout that combines strength training with high intensity cardio. (Can't do it now because I'm recuperating from broken ribs and torn cartilage)

Thought I could post it, but can't figure out how to add a pdf to this post.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No classes, no pool, no trainer. Just the gym in my apartment building.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I studied kinesiology for a year before deciding that neuroscience is my true calling, but if you just want to improve "general fitness", then you should try to mix aerobic (i.e. Cardio) and anaerobic (i.e. Weights) exercise. Something that could work is 30 minutes of weights (what I used to do was 3 sets each of bench press, dead lifts, bicep curls and squats, increasing weight by 5lbs or so each time) and then 30 minutes of biking or running.

If you want to lose some weight while you're at it, incorporate high-intensity interval training into your cardio routine. So alternate sprinting and jogging. What I used to do was spend 8 seconds on a bike going as fast as I could, and then going at a more leisurely pace for 12 seconds, and repeating until 30 minutes had passed.

With respect to weight training, the idea is that if you want to gain more muscle, do fewer (~6) repetitions, but use heavier weights. If you want to burn more fat, do more repetitions, but use lighter weights.

Oh, and talk to a doctor before starting any sort of exercise routine, just in case. They might also be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, National Executive
If you have a smart phone, you can carry your workout(s) in your pocket. There are lots of apps out there, many of them free, that will lead you through different fitness routines. You can say what parts of your body you wan to exercise and how long want to work out, etc. There are also some yoga apps and podcasts.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by laktonen
If you have a smart phone, you can carry your workout(s) in your pocket. There are lots of apps out there, many of them free, that will lead you through different fitness routines. You can say what parts of your body you wan to exercise and how long want to work out, etc. There are also some yoga apps and podcasts.
+1 on fitness apps that don't require any gym equipment besides a pull up bar or a couple dumbbells.

They take the work out of deciding what to do each day and based on what your stated goals are...body weight exercises (e.g., push ups, lunges, planks, burpees) would be perfect.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:09 pm

For strength training, here are are two good basic beginner routines:

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-less-t...tarter-program
http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-1
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
No classes, no pool, no trainer. Just the gym in my apartment building.
I'd suggest getting a kettlebell and paying for a couple of kettlebell classes. You need to learn proper form and once you've got that down, you can either do it at home or take it with you when you travel (I've traveled with a 25 pound keettlebell on my carry-on a couple of times with nothing but "oh... that's nice!" from TSA).

Pair that with a jump rope and you're all set for home/travel and cardio/strength.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.