Wiki Posts
Search

Fitness Activity Monitors

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
Fitness Activity Monitors

Was wondering if folks here had any recommendations.

I was leaning toward buying the Jawbone Up because the idea of being gently awoken at an optimal point in my sleep cycle sounded very appealing. Manufacturing reliability seems to be an issue for many reviewers on Amazon, however.

Other contenders include the Nike Fuelband, Fitbit Flex, Fitbit One, and probably many others.

Is there one particular model that excels at sleep optimization and activity tracking for non-step activities like cross-training or weight lifting?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an iPhone or Galaxy S3/S4/Note 2, you'll love the Fitbit One or Flex as it syncs wirelessly and alerts you during the day how you are progressing.

Sadly, it doesn't do much more than step counting, so weight lifting won't do much with it.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:12 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
You might want to have this moved to Travel Health & Fitness, possibly to be combined with one of several existing threads about:
FitBit
Nike Fuel Band
Fitness gizmos
Body Media

Personally I'm a Body Media user, and have been for about 18 months. I know they've upgraded their software in the last year or so to do a better job at tracking activities that don't involve steps. I love the sleep monitoring function (though it makes me sad to see the results at times).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Off this thread goes to Travel Health & Fitness...thanks to the users who pointed it out.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll revive this thread! My better half just got a Fitbit Force from a work event he attended. It was handed out in the swag bags. He doesn't want it, so I get it. I was looking online, and I see they've been recalled because 1% of users are allergic to the nickel in it.

I'm unaware if any such allergies or my own, so I'm wondering if I should just keep it. Thoughts? What do you use yours for?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:57 pm

I have a fitbit zip which I use as a pedometer. It encourages me to walk more.

There are other fitbit models which are rechargeable but I prefer the zip's battery, even with less features. I sometimes accidentally wash mine and the battery gasket keeps water out. I also really don't need one more thing to charge. A single battery will last at least two to three months.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It might not necessarily be a nickel allergy vs some users don't realize that these gadgets need to be cleaned. And after wearing for a prolonged time, your skin can get irritated.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by wrxmom
It might not necessarily be a nickel allergy vs some users don't realize that these gadgets need to be cleaned. And after wearing for a prolonged time, your skin can get irritated.
I disagree...if that were the case, wouldn't we see the same rate of irritation with other brands/models of fitness monitors that are work 24-7?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'll revive this thread! My better half just got a Fitbit Force from a work event he attended. It was handed out in the swag bags. He doesn't want it, so I get it. I was looking online, and I see they've been recalled because 1% of users are allergic to the nickel in it.

I'm unaware if any such allergies or my own, so I'm wondering if I should just keep it. Thoughts? What do you use yours for?
I bought a Force and when they announced the problems they also announced a recall. I haven't sent mine back yet but plan on it. I emailed them and got the recall kit. I also switched to a Flex, which I like a lot. I'm really a huge FitBit fan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.