Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Tourism

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Does anybody have suggestions on how to travel with large amounts of money, like $2K+ in pursuit of medical tourism in Turkey or wherever?

All places take cash, and most places take credit cards, but I saw I was charged a big fee by Visa for converting very small amounts of cash.
Visa charges 3% foreign transaction fee on int'l (depending on the issuer of your credit card - IIRC Cap One & Chase don't have the foreign transaction fee).

You might want to check the TravelBuzz forum for suggestions on how to travel w/ large amounts of $$. Could be in your wallet until you arrive to your hotel & then put it in the hotel safe until you need it. Could be withdrawing up to daily cash limit when you need it, or done over a couple of days. I'm sure the question has come up on that forum before & FTers answered.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
All places take cash, and most places take credit cards, but I saw I was charged a big fee by Visa for converting very small amounts of cash.
Get a credit card that doesn't have the fee, such as the Chase Sapphire card. No good can come from carrying large amounts of cash!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not so sure that some types of medical or dental procedures wouldn't be subject to duty. IIRC USA Customs states that if you have alterations done abroad to a piece of clothing, that is dutiable.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Please think VERY carefully about having any eye procedures or major surgery done in a third world country. I have seen some horrible outcomes, and follow up for complications can be very substandard.

Check prices in Canada for eye procedures. They can be less expensive than the US and Canada has first rate medical education and care.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:11 am

I'm considering medical tourism for dental work. Specifically, I need root canals and porcelain veneers. Anybody have an experience they could share?
I gone through the root canal treatment very much painful. I spend so much money on my treatment. I had rct last year till yet its going fine, but i have to give 3-4 sitting to the doctor as i had so much cavity in my tooth..
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's the deal: before you make any assumptions or rely on FT regarding duties on services performed abroad, please rely only on qualified advice from U S Customs or properly trained lawyers.

I have no idea about medical procedures and subsequent reporting requirements or duties, but I do know medical devices are regulated, it's not difficult for properly trained persons in the hire of USCBP to identify where some medical or dental procedures are done and that certain services you have purchased abroad - camera or technical repairs, alterations, etc. should legally be reported.

Those who have GOES etc. should check this out further, IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by malik2630
I gone through the root canal treatment very much painful. I spend so much money on my treatment. I had rct last year till yet its going fine, but i have to give 3-4 sitting to the doctor as i had so much cavity in my tooth..
The dds in Antalya did my root canal in about 2 hours. I saved enough on this to pay for airfare and cheap local accommodations to Turkey. Same dds placed Lumineers on my upper teeth, for about 60% off US prices. Good deal.

I wish he had filled a cavity that's bothering me now. I think they're more focused on the pricier dental work.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:38 am

I went to a top end eye clinic in Kolkata, for a contact lens checkup and new prescription. I asked if the alternatives they were supplying where the same as my current ones, I.E 2 weekly, or 6 night continuous wear. The optician said 'we ignore these recommendations and you can wear for several months'. ummmm. Not convinced. Obviously a optometrist in a contact lens clinic you would expect to not be as clued up as an Opto Consultant who will be blasting your eyes with a laser..

This was http://www.vasaneye.com/

And the dentist across the road told me I needed 7 fillings. I had one done, it fell out a month later. Once I got to NZ, the dentist fixed the bodge job, but said that was the only one I needed. I won't ever wantonly request medical treatment again in India unless I was really really sick!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not so sure that some types of medical or dental procedures wouldn't be subject to duty. IIRC USA Customs states that if you have alterations done abroad to a piece of clothing, that is dutiable.
The dental work I had done in Turkey was not subject to customs charges. Medical services are not subject to duty.

I wish I had the time and money to go back and get some more work done.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:45 am

Guys, I'm currently working on creating a simple database where we can access trusted and accredited institutions. I would appreciate any feedback you have for me. You can view my concept here: http://medical-tourism.kickoffpages.com/

I am keen to understand the type of procedures of interest to you and the main concerns/risk you feel when considering medical tourism
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:02 am

Research dissertation- medical tourists required for mini interviews

Hi my name is Lydia and I am a current Master’s student in Oxford (Oxford Brookes University). I am currently studying for a Hospitality and Tourism Management master’s degree. However, my Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Genetics has equipped me with great understanding in regards of Medical issues and treatments. As part of my dissertation I am researching into Medical Tourism. I would like to explore how a certain destination plays an important role within medical tourists decision in travelling to a certain location and explore further into patients’ decision-making. I am currently looking for volunteers in participating in an individual interview. Through this research I am aiming to demonstrate how patients interpret information, how marketing strategies play an important role within your decisions etc. thus enabling to create higher regulations in protecting medical tourists in the future and developing a safer industry within the future, reducing in such way many risks.
The interviews can all be made through Skype, so you do not have to travel anywhere to meet me.
They will take approx.. 30min but if you are willing to share more information I am happy to discuss further to gain a deeper understanding.
Questions will be in reference to your decision-making (i.e. how you decided to travel abroad, how you selected a certain doctor from another, did the destination play a crucial role?)
You are welcome to not answer any questions, which make you feel uncomfortable in any way.
You will either sign or verbally give your consent to participate in my research thesis, which will protect your identity and information through the university’s regulations.

I would greatly appreciate if you participate in my research, enhancing in such way in creating a safer industry environment for all Medical Tourists (and helping me finish my research =)

I am looking for 8 volunteers in total.

CONTACT ME at: [email protected]
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:12 am
Suspended

dental tourism in Europe

What are your experiences in European countries? They provide high-quality treatments, but hard to find a proper clinic. How did you do due diligence?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:13 am
Suspended

Medical and dental tourism is quite prevalent in Europe as well. Most frequently from Western Eu to East. Do you think it's going to decrease in the future? I'm afraid the underlyeing issues are still growing and we are also getting older.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by inhealed
What are your experiences in European countries? They provide high-quality treatments, but hard to find a proper clinic. How did you do due diligence?
Maybe I'm not in the best position to answer if it comes to conventional modalities, but in terms of CAM I know one place in Ukraine that gives EBOO ozone therapy at least. Prof. Eugeniy Nazarov has a clinic in Odessa where he receives patients.

Other eastern(or central) European countries are good options too like Hungary. There many places for treatments that fall outside of conventional spectrum. But even ordinary dentists are often affordable and of good quality. And Turkey is leading in hair transplantations although it's not usually counted as European country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.