Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Airport Gym Business Idea - Feedback requested

Airport Gym Business Idea - Feedback requested

Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I've noticed the topic of gyms at airports has frequently been discussed, particularly the lack of a facility inside security. DFW has a small gym in the admirals club but who wants to pay $50 to workout. I am seriously considering trying to open a small gym, about 1200 square feet, post-security at a major hub airport. I wanted to get some responses from people about their interest in the idea. The gym would have about 16 machines, 8 cardio and 8 strenghth (a complete circuit), and there would be small shower facilities. I have two main questions.

1. How much would you be willing to pay for a day pass to one of these?
2. For the frequent travelers/airline employees, would you buy a membership and whats the most you would pay per month?

Thanks in advance for any help you're willing to provide.

<redacted duplicat \e material>

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm Reason: merge and redact duplicate post matter after thread merge
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
I would pay $20. Maybe that just to use the shower after a long flight in or just before heading home.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I've used the AC gym at DFW after TATLs.

A work-out with a shower? Maybe $20.00.

I would be more interested if there was a juice bar or light, healthy snacks available.

Now let's talk about my consulting fee.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$10.....if there were some free weights I'd pay more.

I use to use the vegas 24 hour fitness a fair amount when I was working there.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by annerj
$10.....if there were some free weights I'd pay more.

I use to use the vegas 24 hour fitness a fair amount when I was working there.
I've used the LAS 24 also, and I think their rate for non-members was $10. Of course if you were a member, it could have been nothing extra (depending on your membership level).

I think one of the best places for this would be at a hub airport that has a bit of incoming TA or TP traffic. I seem to waste the most time after one of these inbound flights, usually sitting in a lounge somewhere, just wanting my trip to be over.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd go up to $25 for a decent airside gym, but I suspect that I'm less price sensitive about this than most travelers. My wild guess is that you start losing lots of customers north of $20.

Does anyone know if any big companies have policies about gym fees while traveling on business? That might be a useful piece of info. for the OP. If there are such policies, how much is reimbursable?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by trh2115
I've noticed that the topic of gyms at airports has frequently been discussed, particularly the lack of a facility inside security. DFW has a small gym in the admirals club but who wants to pay $50 to workout. I am seriously considering trying to open a small gym, about 1200 square feet, post-security at a major hub airport. I wanted to get some responses from people about their interest in the idea. The gym would have about 16 machines, 8 cardio and 8 strenghth (a complete circuit), and there would be small shower facilities. I have two main questions.

1. How much would you be willing to pay for a day pass to one of these?
2. For the frequent travelers/airline employees, would you buy a membership and whats the most you would pay per month?

Interesting concept.

Some ideas...

For me, I'd pay $20 if I was on a long layover. Throw a big bottle of water into the price.

Heck, I'd pay admission to your gym, just so I could have some personal space that doesn't have CNN blaring at me.

Capacity will be an issue: you're going to be empty sometimes, but at 7am, or on a day where there are a lot of delayed flights, you may get full quickly and for a long time... how do you placate members who've already paid a monthly fee?

You'll need a bit of space for lockers/luggage.

Is it a business expense? Find a sample of people in your target group; determine whether most of them feel, if they saw this at the airport, that they immediately felt they could and would claim the fee as a business expense.

You may get a lot of customers who are mainly there to get somewhere to freshen up.

Figure out whether you'll allow families/children. Airports may or may not have an opinion about that topic.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Been done in a few places:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/18/bu...al2/18gym.html
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by trh2115
Have you tried posting in the FT Travel & Fitness forum?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic feedback so far, thanks. I'll check into that business reimbursement policy. I've also wondered about it.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind me asking.....would you lease the equipment or buy it? What kind of timeline is there for replacement/MX on some of those cardio pieces?

We had a local guy open up a gym here a few years ago. Went too big and too much equipment (it was a sweet gym) and just didn't have the membership base to sustain it.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
$10 for machines only; FW and maybe a couple bucks more

I agree with an above poster, luggage storage and I'll add that security is a must. People have laptops and just don't want to leave them around where anyone can swipe them

I probably wouldn't pay any membership unless it was my home airport

don't forget you will need two locker rooms or changing areas (M/F) so thats space as well
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
If you don't mind me asking.....would you lease the equipment or buy it? What kind of timeline is there for replacement/MX on some of those cardio pieces?

We had a local guy open up a gym here a few years ago. Went too big and too much equipment (it was a sweet gym) and just didn't have the membership base to sustain it.
I would likely buy the equipment because the up-front capital required for a small amount of machines is not tremendous. I'm assuming a 5-7 year replacement cycle.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Another revenue source is airport employees. Think of selling memberships to people who work in the terminal. Also give day discounts to pilots and FA's. Lots of ways to increase revenue for repeat users.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:51 pm

What about buying a franchise of a gym like Planet Fitness or something like that? That way you would tap on an existing member base as well.

I would most likely only pay with enough of a layover. I try to avoid long layovers. If you stuck one in CLT I would just make it my main gym and buy a membership to it.

Per visit I'd pay $10-15. Maybe up to $20 if the shower came with a toiletry kit like the airport showers.
Per month I'd pay $20-30. Maybe up to $50 if it includes other airports I use as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.