Wiki Posts
Search

P90x

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
The force applied to them at maximum tension seems pretty high, especially when doing squats and/or shoulder presses.
I agree. For things like squats and lat pull (the pull up version using the bands) I'm using 3-4 bands at the same time to get enough resistance....if one let go I can only imagine how much it would hurt.

Mine are holding up so far with lots of travel (packing/unpacking) and quite a bit of use. *knock on wood*
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They look good. I gave these a look but ultimately decided on the Bodylastics set (also via Amazon).
Interesting that three of us all bought via amazon and we all bought a different set.

I'm actually thinking of buying a few more bands and ankle straps and/or handles just to make switching between exercises easier and faster (mostly for supersets).
Not a bad idea. I added the orange version to my set (heavier resistance than the group came with).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by annerj
Fair enough.

I have it a bit easier as I don't have a commute (except flying twice a week) and the real kicker IMO is no kids. My wife workouts out with me (or on her own at the same time) so that isn't an issue for me either.
Yes, I think this is really the issue. No kids would mean not having to get them ready for school in the morning (and all that entails) and not having to get dinner on the table for them at a time that accommodates their bedtimes, plus the entire bedtime routine. But, for me, I wouldn't have it any other way - the time I have with my kids is the best!

I can still squeeze in a 40 minute workout before they get up or after they go to bed. 90 minutes just isn't feasible at this point in my life. Even if it was, I'm not sure why I'd go that long just to "stay in shape" (or "get in shape", as is the case now).

I totally agree with you that long workouts are imperative for someone doing marathons or triathalons or iron man-type stuff. I just don't think the "average guy" who wants to be fit & trim and be able to play some recreational sports needs to devote that kind of time to working out. In fact, it might indicate some inefficiency in the workout if it's taking that long.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Not a bad idea. I added the orange version to my set (heavier resistance than the group came with).
Funny you mention that - I was just looking for an orange band (30 lbs. of resistance) to add to my set. The "strongest" one I have is black, which I think is 23 lbs. of resistance in the Bodylastics set. The DVDs show the host talking about (and using) an orange band, but the Bodylastics website doesn't offer one for sale. I assume that I could buy one from another company and it would be compatible.

That said, I could just buy a couple of red or blue (13 lbs. and 19 lbs., respectively) and achieve the same objective. They run about $13 - $15 each though.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. For things like squats and lat pull (the pull up version using the bands) I'm using 3-4 bands at the same time to get enough resistance....if one let go I can only imagine how much it would hurt.

Mine are holding up so far with lots of travel (packing/unpacking) and quite a bit of use. *knock on wood*
Yes, that's what the Bodylastics DVDs and literature recommends, too. For some exercises, I find one band to be enough (shoulder raises), but for a lot of other moves, I can defintely combine two or more bands. Overall, that's what I like about the bands - it's really easy to find the "weight" that challenges me. And there's almost no end to the exercises that can be done with the bands.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Funny you mention that - I was just looking for an orange band (30 lbs. of resistance) to add to my set. The "strongest" one I have is black, which I think is 23 lbs. of resistance in the Bodylastics set. The DVDs show the host talking about (and using) an orange band, but the Bodylastics website doesn't offer one for sale. I assume that I could buy one from another company and it would be compatible.
No consitancy in weight per color. Orange in my set says 40 pounds (I honestly have no idea how they measure it)
http://www.amazon.com/Aylio-Orange-E...5704966&sr=8-5

That said, I could just buy a couple of red or blue (13 lbs. and 19 lbs., respectively) and achieve the same objective. They run about $13 - $15 each though.
If doing that may just be best to buy an additional full set?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wouldn't have it any other way - the time I have with my kids is the best!
^
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If doing that may just be best to buy an additional full set?
Good point. For just a few dollars more, I could double the number of bands and accessories. Might not be a bad idea since it would reduce the time spent switching resistance levels and handles/ankle straps for various supersets.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have my upcoming workouts listed on a spreadsheet....we are getting down to the last few!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

late flight last night so I took my laptop into the gym to do the plyo workout (yeah I'm that guy* ). A few stares and only one person asked what I was doing.

Gym was PACKED...I forget how busy it gets this time of year ...ugh...

*I'm also the guy that use to eat on the treadmill When I was marathon training I'd have bananas, goo and the like for my long runs.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flying out late again today so I'll bring the laptop back and hit core synergistics at the gym prior to my flight.

Yoga tomorrow and I'm done with this round!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Done!

-3 pounds during phase 3. Which was better than I expected with holdiays, lots of work travel, couple trips to vegas etc in there.

13 weeks of p90x and I lost 4 pounds total. If the body comp machine is accurate I put on between .5 and 1.7 pounds of muscle (depending on setting)....I'd believe somehwere in the middle of those two numbers easily.

91 workouts
103 hours 55 minutes of p90x
102 days to finish.

During that time:
7 spin classes
3 row classes
2 circuit classes

So another ~12 hours of workouts. Lots of time on the road so not many spin/row classes as I normally would get it.

Plan moving forward is I may take a week and lift heavy in the gym then cycle back onto phase 3 of p90x (the 5 week phase). Figure I can do that almost 3 full times (15 weeks) before biking season starts back up here.

I'd be happy to be down another 5 at the beginning of bike season. We will see. I always say it but I'll try to focus a bit more on intake this next time through.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Done!

-3 pounds during phase 3. Which was better than I expected with holdiays, lots of work travel, couple trips to vegas etc in there.

13 weeks of p90x and I lost 4 pounds total. If the body comp machine is accurate I put on between .5 and 1.7 pounds of muscle (depending on setting)....I'd believe somehwere in the middle of those two numbers easily.

91 workouts
103 hours 55 minutes of p90x
102 days to finish.

During that time:
7 spin classes
3 row classes
2 circuit classes

So another ~12 hours of workouts. Lots of time on the road so not many spin/row classes as I normally would get it.

Plan moving forward is I may take a week and lift heavy in the gym then cycle back onto phase 3 of p90x (the 5 week phase). Figure I can do that almost 3 full times (15 weeks) before biking season starts back up here.

I'd be happy to be down another 5 at the beginning of bike season. We will see. I always say it but I'll try to focus a bit more on intake this next time through.
Congratulations!

Do you see material changes in your measurements, i.e. waist size, neck size, etc? Seems stunning to me that after all of that, your bodyweight changed just 4 lbs. I'd like to lose a lot more than 4 lbs, and it depresses me to think that I could work out over 100 hours over 3 months and not see more of a change. You sound like you were in decent shape before you started the program though.

Anyhow, great for you! Finishing that program is quite an accomplishment!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations!

Do you see material changes in your measurements, i.e. waist size, neck size, etc? Seems stunning to me that after all of that, your bodyweight changed just 4 lbs. I'd like to lose a lot more than 4 lbs, and it depresses me to think that I could work out over 100 hours over 3 months and not see more of a change. You sound like you were in decent shape before you started the program though.

Anyhow, great for you! Finishing that program is quite an accomplishment!
Thanks. I'm pretty happy to have finished it.

It depresses me too No...I'm use to it. Without 100% perfect diet I don't lose much weight and even then its a slow slog.

Visable results. I probably dropped a half size in my pants....my shoulders are a little more defined and slightly larger.

My wife will measure me tonight.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chest = + .5
Waist = -2.5
Right thigh = -.5
Left Thigh = -.5
Right forearm = 0
Left forearm = 0
Right Bicep = +1
Left bicep = +.75

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.