P90x

Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by annerj
How was chalean? I hear good things about that program also.
I haven't really given it a fair shot. I'm jogging right now.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Week 10 done today with Stretch X.

Week 11 brings back the push/pull workouts.....I think I like the Push/push or pull/pull ones better. I'll have to wait until week 12
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I went with the S.A. Gear (sports authority). They had a 25% off coupon over thanksgiving and I had a stackable 15% coupon.

I'd bought "normal' dumbbells in 8, 15, 25 and 30 and thought if I was going to buy any more that it just didn't make sense to not buy the selectable ones.

My only complaint so far is they are big...probably the size of a "normal" 65-70 pound dumbbell. Not a huge deal.
Will have to check them out next time I'm in Sports Authority...they don't even show them on their website. The SelectTechs look awesome, but no way I can justify a $400 weight purchase. (I have my own dumb bells in lighter weights, but live in a building that has a workout room with every weight under the sun.)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Will have to check them out next time I'm in Sports Authority...they don't even show them on their website. The SelectTechs look awesome, but no way I can justify a $400 weight purchase. (I have my own dumb bells in lighter weights, but live in a building that has a workout room with every weight under the sun.)
Interesting....I don't see them on the website either. I wonder why they don't have them there...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yoga last night....still not fun

I have two yogas next ween during the transition week and I'm done with my first round of P90x.

As of now my projected finish is 1/13/2011 so if that holds it will have taken me 101 days to finish 91 P90x workouts. Couple days sick, few days out of pocket, lots of days traveling, etc so not too bad IMO.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll recap my weight/measurement progress when I finish in another week and a half.

For workouts I think:
Plyo -- hardest cardio....pretty dang good workout

Yoga -- Still my least favorite. Partially the length (93 minutes) and partially
because its so hard for me flexibility wise.

Pull/Pull or Push/Push lifts (phase 2 lifts) were my favorite workouts.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'll recap my weight/measurement progress when I finish in another week and a half.

For workouts I think:
Plyo -- hardest cardio....pretty dang good workout

Yoga -- Still my least favorite. Partially the length (93 minutes) and partially
because its so hard for me flexibility wise.

Pull/Pull or Push/Push lifts (phase 2 lifts) were my favorite workouts.
I don't care what workout I'm doing - this is a deal-breaker for me. Just reinforces what I think about P90X. It's a great thing, but anyone who exercises for that amount of time each day ought to see great results regardless of the program!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain...5623313&sr=1-3

I got one of these. Its nice & light for travel.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I don't care what workout I'm doing - this is a deal-breaker for me. Just reinforces what I think about P90X. It's a great thing, but anyone who exercises for that amount of time each day ought to see great results regardless of the program!
I agree.

I workout like that and have for a LONG time.....the structure of P90x is doing me some good. I've firmed up a bit, lost a bit of fat, etc on this program.

Do you not do any workouts of this length? Our spin class has a monthly 2 hour session, my normal lifts in the gym normally go well over an hour, half/full marathon when I did that stuff was WELL over a couple hours, current bike events even of 50 miles are a few hours (not to mention the centuries we try to get in).

p90x is a time suck for sure. The shortest workout is like 56 minutes and most are right in the 1:10 range (when including the ab ripper portion)

Last edited by annerj; Jan 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xmlsoa

Look pretty similar to the set I bought (posted above).....let me know how they hold up. I like the bag as in mine there is enough room for the bands (I bought one additional "super" resistance color) and my 12 DVD set. If it were a touch bigger I could get my pushup bars in there.

*I haven't had any issues/breakage with mine yet.

Last edited by annerj; Jan 3, 2012 at 3:38 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

how are your bands holding up?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I agree.

I workout like that and have for a LONG time.....the structure of P90x is doing me some good. I've firmed up a bit, lost a bit of fat, etc on this program.

Do you not do any workouts of this length? Our spin class has a monthly 2 hour session, my normal lifts in the gym normally go well over an hour, half/full marathon when I did that stuff was WELL over a couple hours, current bike events even of 50 miles are a few hours (not to mention the centuries we try to get in).

p90x is a time suck for sure. The shortest workout is like 56 minutes and most are right in the 1:10 range (when including the ab ripper portion)
Nope. I commute an hour each way to a full-time job, and have a wife and 3 young kids awaiting me when I get home. Short of getting up and working out at 4:30 am, which isn't gonna happen, I rarely have 90 minutes available to devote to working out. The longest workout my schedule can accommodate is about 60 minutes. Aside from the fact that I don't see a huge benefit to working out much more than 45 minutes unless I was training for a marathon or triathalon or something like that. I understand that folks might get some personal enjoyment out of long runs or rides, but I'm not sure that working out for more than 45 minutes (at a pretty good clip) is going to yield material benefits for someone seeking a "regular" level of fitness.

Last edited by dchristiva; Jan 4, 2012 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how are your bands holding up?
So far, so good. But I will confess that I've only put them to "material" use twice now. I just started a "structured" workout with the DVDs that came with them on Sunday.

They seem like they'll be fine, but if they ever break, I can see where it could cause some damage to me or to personal property. The force applied to them at maximum tension seems pretty high, especially when doing squats and/or shoulder presses. I'm a relatively tall guy (6' 2"), so I have to add an ankle strap or two to add enough length to the band to get full range of motion and not fear snapping the band.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xmlsoa

They look good. I gave these a look but ultimately decided on the Bodylastics set (also via Amazon). I am excited about how useful they should be for traveling. Like the Black Mountain set, the Bodylastics set comes with a bag about the same size and everything fits in nicely. I'm actually thinking of buying a few more bands and ankle straps and/or handles just to make switching between exercises easier and faster (mostly for supersets).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope. I commute an hour each way to a full-time job, and have a wife and 3 young kids awaiting me when I get home. Short of getting up and working out at 4:30 am, which isn't gonna happen, I rarely have 90 minutes available to devote to working out. The longest workout my schedule can accommodate is about 60 minutes. Aside from the fact that I don't see a huge benefit to working out much more than 45 minutes unless I was training for a marathon or triathalon or something like that. I understand that folks might get some personal enjoyment out of long runs or rides, but I'm not sure that working out for more than 45 minutes (at a pretty good clip) is going to yield material benefits for someone seeking a "regular" level of fitness.

Fair enough.

I have it a bit easier as I don't have a commute (except flying twice a week) and the real kicker IMO is no kids. My wife workouts out with me (or on her own at the same time) so that isn't an issue for me either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.