P90x

Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by annerj
Toying with the idea of swapping out Kenpo in favor of a second plyo workout during the week. The kenpo just isn't a great workout (I'm sure part of it is due to my lack of flexibility) while the Plyo is an amazing workout.

We'll see....probably give Kenpo at least one more try.
Just curious - does a "great workout" have to leave you sweaty/sore/exhausted? Seems to me that the kenpo might be good workout, but it just doesn't tax you in the way that you'd define a "great workout". I would be careful about substituting something. There might be a method to the madness.

But, I'm not doing the program, so what do I know?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Just curious - does a "great workout" have to leave you sweaty/sore/exhausted? Seems to me that the kenpo might be good workout, but it just doesn't tax you in the way that you'd define a "great workout". I would be careful about substituting something. There might be a method to the madness.

But, I'm not doing the program, so what do I know?
You are exactly right....and its why I'm on the fence. It comes right before the stretch day and honestly, to me, feels like two days off in a row. While it is kind of nice to have two easy days back to back, I kind of feel like I'm not doing enough.*

*I put on muscle fairly easy and lose weight VERY hard. I'm the only one I know who trained for and ran a full marathon and put on 5 pounds in the process!!!!

Currently I'm adding in my own cardio on the side by doing spin/row type classes (when I have time...which lately, knock on wood, is a bit).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I took the recovery/results drink yesterday for the first time. One of their claims is that if taken within an hour of the workout it will help with soreness.....we'll post plyo I'm solidly sore lower body.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I travel too much to lug around pull-up bar and dumbbells!

I'm using a bag of exercise bands http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QY22C (I added the orange band to the set). The bands and the CDs all fit in the bag that is smaller than a shoe box.

I'm sure a better workout with actual pull ups and weights but not bad with these bands.
After what was probably way more analysis than necessary, I'm going to give this a go:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodylastics-13...0420535&sr=8-7

I'm optimistic that the DVDs will provide some structure for me. I'm not ready for anything like P90X, but this should give me a decent start.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After what was probably way more analysis than necessary, I'm going to give this a go:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodylastics-13...0420535&sr=8-7

I'm optimistic that the DVDs will provide some structure for me. I'm not ready for anything like P90X, but this should give me a decent start.
Let me know how they work! I'd also be interested to hear what you think of the DVDs.

They seem good.....5 bands, handles, door anchor. I do wish there was some sort of standard with the colors.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me know how they work! I'd also be interested to hear what you think of the DVDs.

They seem good.....5 bands, handles, door anchor. I do wish there was some sort of standard with the colors.
Hard to tell. Only 19 people reviewed them, but the comments were all positive and seemed consistent. I was going to get the ones you recommended but the DVDs gave the edge to the product I ultimately purchased. Also, while there weren't many negative comments overall, they seemed to consistently note that the bands would break in the same place.

Nevertheless, I'm sure any of the bands would be fine, as long as I USE them!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nevertheless, I'm sure any of the bands would be fine, as long as I USE them!
That is the key!

Are you planning on traveling with these? To me that is the main benefit to bands.

I'm also really liking the push up bars that I got....just takes those pushups to the next level.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the key!

Are you planning on traveling with these? To me that is the main benefit to bands.

I'm also really liking the push up bars that I got....just takes those pushups to the next level.
Not traveling much these days, but, yes, ultimately the idea is to take the bands on the road to keep up with the workouts.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not traveling much these days, but, yes, ultimately the idea is to take the bands on the road to keep up with the workouts.
Nice. I hope they work well for you.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Went up in weight again and feeling it. Butt is sore as all get out
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got the shakeology in the mail today. So my plan is to do the recover drink 5 days week post workout (I see no need to it after kenpo and obviously not after stretch) and mix in the shakeology most days either mid morning or mid afternoon.

While I only lost a net of 1 pound during phase one my pants for sure are a little looser than they have been in a while.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice. I hope they work well for you.
They are supposed to arrive today. I play hockey tonight, otherwise I'd break them out and give them a go. I'll post my thoughts in a day or two after I've had a chance to try them out.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Started week 6 today.....time sure flies when your having fun!

Week 7 I have a couple trips during the week....so far this has not been an issue. This is one of the BIGGEST benefit to me....travel days in the past, especially to new cities, were hard to still make the gym....doing these workouts in the hotel has made it easier.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I agree with you. P90x is great for travel. Insanity is even better for the road. It needs no equipment at all. It is a real butt-kicker, also. And shorter workouts.
Congratulations on getting to week 6!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
I agree with you. P90x is great for travel. Insanity is even better for the road. It needs no equipment at all. It is a real butt-kicker, also. And shorter workouts.
Congratulations on getting to week 6!
Thanks!

I've heard of a few people mixing in insanity with P90x....I may look into that for my next round

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.