Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cycling thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How do you FTers (whom I suppose travel good bit) continue with saddle time? I actually switched my sport to running this year and training for marathon just out of desperation. Without non-stop training, I can't ride mountains or do century rides.
I've been off the road for like a year now...crazy.

When I was on the road I'd do a few things. If I was going to be at a location for several weeks (more than 4-6 weeks) I'd ship my bike. If it was a short term 1-3 week project I'd rent a bike. I had a long gig in denver which was close enough for me to drive my spare bike down and leave it in the hotel.

If I'd have continued to travel I'd have looked into one of those folding bikes I guess.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm heading up to Boise this week for work, and the weather there looks pretty nice, I thought maybe yours would be similar.
winer storm warning here until tue night/wed. It does look like it will snap back into decent temps after that.

snow off and on all day today
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
aztimm, I have been on a bike hiatus for about 15+months now. In 2011, I had a bad crash (fractured neck etc; moving away from morbid details) on a training ride and after healing, I got a consulting gig aka constant travel.

How do you FTers (whom I suppose travel good bit) continue with saddle time? I actually switched my sport to running this year and training for marathon just out of desperation. Without non-stop training, I can't ride mountains or do century rides.
ha! I was a distance runner up through about 1-1/2 years ago, but then started having all kinds of running injuries. I've sprained both ankles, broken bones in 1 foot, and had a horrible fall, got dragged through rocks (by my dog), and decided to move to cycling. so long as i don't fall (only 1 so far), I'm fine.

my travel is usually in spurts and not usually for weeks at a time. usually 3-4 days/week, so I just rearrange my schedule to ride when I am home.
I can work from home 2-3 days a week, and will schedule my rides into my day. sometimes I start work at 5am, work for 2-3 hours, go out to ride, then work another 6-8 hours after. as long as I get my work done, my boss doesn't really care when it happens (he's 2 times zones away anyway). I work with people across the US so schedule calls around my rides.
I usually try to at least swim when I'm on the road.

I've also rented bikes when I've traveled. I wouldn't want to chance checking my bike, paying the fees, and taking a chance it would arrive ok. many shops rent bikes, usually about $50/day, and have deals for multi-days, a week, etc.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if anyone else saw this story in today's WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...YWORDS=cycling

Over the past decade, Lance Armstrong did more than inspire tens of thousands of Americans to take up cycling. He inspired them to look like him.

Snap-on shoes. Shaved legs. Bright-colored jersey over Lycra bibs. Any deviation from that look could subject a cyclist to howls. He even might be called a "Fred"—cycling lingo for loser. Getting it all right would still elicit snickers if he called the outfit a uniform. It's a kit. Got it, Fred?

Now, the tables are turning. Cyclists rebelling against the tight-and-bright look are calling its adherents "peacocks." Or worse yet "mamils"—for middle-aged men in Lycra. As commuters increasingly displace Lance-a-likes as the primary face of cycling, fewer and fewer people are confusing rides to the grocery with the Tour de France. "People just want to ride bikes without looking like a mamil," says Mia Kohout, editor of a biking magazine called Momentum.
An interesting read, but it really won't change what I wear to cycle.

Years ago, I remember talking to a swimmer friend who also cycled. He told me how he'd spend $100+ on shorts, and sometimes the same for a jersey. And these were just for training. I couldn't believe it.

When I first started, I thought I'd be fine with $40 or so shorts. Until I splurged once for a $100 pair. After that, I could never go back... Yes, there is a difference.
I have a love/hate relationship with bibs. I have some, have shorts, and depending on my mood, I can wear either.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont ride nearly the distance you do (weights are still my main activity) but I've never worn the get up. I have mountain bike clip shoes (because they are more comfortable than hard core road shoes), I wear normal workout t-shirts (because i don't need bike specific wear), I wear workout shorts (I'm "tough" I guess .

*2000+ miles last year was a big year bike wise during what was a longer than normal season here
Old May 17, 2013, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thought you heavy-duty cyclers would be interested in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20597281-post1.html

A bit inspirational. If he can train like that, hopefully I'll get the hang of the gears on my bike after I've recovered from fractured ankle.

Alas, I just heard via a forwarded email he took a tumble at mile 62 on some rough pavement, was unconscious for 20 minutes, and has a broken shoulder blade, broken collarbone, two broken ribs, and several cracked ribs.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Alas, I just heard via a forwarded email he took a tumble at mile 62 on some rough pavement, was unconscious for 20 minutes, and has a broken shoulder blade, broken collarbone, two broken ribs, and several cracked ribs.
Ugh. That is terrible.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I rode 17.5 miles round trip for lunch on Saturday, which means that my father drove five hours round trip to cycle 17.5 miles round trip for lunch Saturday. He also confiscated my potato chips.

He does say I'm ready to ride 25 miles in three weeks though, which is good.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
He does say I'm ready to ride 25 miles in three weeks though, which is good.
^
Old May 21, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thought you heavy-duty cyclers would be interested in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20597281-post1.html

A bit inspirational. If he can train like that, hopefully I'll get the hang of the gears on my bike after I've recovered from fractured ankle.

I saw his thread a while ago...was looking forward to seeing how he did.

That is horrible about his tumble. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by annerj
I dont ride nearly the distance you do (weights are still my main activity) but I've never worn the get up. I have mountain bike clip shoes (because they are more comfortable than hard core road shoes), I wear normal workout t-shirts (because i don't need bike specific wear), I wear workout shorts (I'm "tough" I guess .

*2000+ miles last year was a big year bike wise during what was a longer than normal season here
Ha! I just checked my YTD stats, and I'm at 2,918 miles so far. I think last year I was close to 6,000, and should be similar this year. Although I do have a bit of travel coming up.

I need to do more weights... It is just such a pain, the gym is crowded, gets warm, etc. I'd rather be outside and enjoy the nice weather in the morning.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://app.strava.com/activities/56441777

Rode jackson to jenny lake this week. Forgot my camera, forgot my phone...blah. Wife had hers so its her strava.

Last time I did this ride I was fighting a bit of food poisoning so this time was about 37 minutes faster not having to stop every 2 miles on the way back
Old May 28, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wet windy and cool spring so far here. This jackson ride we left at ~10am and it was still in the mid 40s.

I see several days in the cabin 10 day that the high isn't going to get out of the 40s. mmmmm nice.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:47 pm

Just saw 2 different cycling stories online that I wanted to share.

The first has to do with waving (cycling and running):
This is a column about waving. Specifically: waving hello while riding a bicycle, or going for a run. We are approaching peak season for recreational cycling and running—if you do these things all year, you may be astonished by all the newcomers out there, filling the roadways, adopting the habit, desperate to burn off the lobster rolls and margaritas—and no matter where you live, you are going to encounter someone cycling or running toward you in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter if you live in the city or the most desolate place on earth (a Miami Marlins home game). Eventually you are going to be faced with a decision that is as important as anything in sports, in which your response says more about you and your character than your fancy-pants neon bike or your fancy-pants neon sneakers or your personal best:

Do you wave? Or do you not wave?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...633353690.html

My answer: yes, most of the time. major exceptions are when in a serious climb/descent, or in areas where I'd be waving nearly nonstop. Even in those areas, if I happen to go and it isn't busy, or when I first ride in, I'll usually still wave.
I felt bad once. Was on the shoulder of a 4 lane divided road, kinda in a daydream. Suddenly I look up, and there's a cyclist across the road waving. Thankfully I saw him in time to return the wave

the second story:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/theselect...of-connection/

my quick synopsis: approaching motorists who yell at you while cycling

I read somewhere that the best approach is to just wave when someone does this, and that's what I normally do. or nothing. yes, I'm always tempted to do more, and may have occasionally given a finger gesture...

one time I was on a road where the bikelane disappears for a while, had a car beeping frantically at me. I saw them turn into a parking lot. I nearly followed...but there is no way that I could keep my cool like this writer does. oddly, that same day, there was a motor scooter beside me who I kept catching at stoplights. he commented about that driver (and also that I was catching him).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I give an obvious nod instead of a wave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.