Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel Health and Fitness
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 30, 11, 7:52 pm   #1

Running while traveling

Any great ideas on finding places to run when you travel? I like to avoid the treadmill as much as possible. I have a Garmin GPS and use Garmin Connect. I've used the 'explore' option a couple of times, but it's been kind of hit or miss for finding good, safe places.
keeper22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 11, 1:03 am   #2
hch

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper22 View Post
Any great ideas on finding places to run when you travel? I like to avoid the treadmill as much as possible. I have a Garmin GPS and use Garmin Connect. I've used the 'explore' option a couple of times, but it's been kind of hit or miss for finding good, safe places.
The internet is your friend. If it's a popular place FOO + running will yield lots of results. If it's not or your more adventurous a map (online or offline) will tell you about nice areas that aren't full of concrete.
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 11, 4:10 pm   #3
TalkBoard President, A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
There are a variety of places to find info: hotel, this forum, internet google, etc. I usually just headed out the door from the hotel.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:04 am   #4
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP
I've generally had pretty good success checking with the hotel Concierge and letting them know what I'm looking for in a running route. Depending on the city, I sometimes specifically ask for routes that take me:

- along a river/landmarks/touristy sites
- away from high car/pedestrian traffic
- on flatter/hillier terrain

I'm not an avid runner, but I know others on the board have mentioned some running sites that probably give good routes. (I know www.mapmyroute.com has an option to publicly share the routes that users input.)
JY1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 4:47 am   #5

Programs: UA GS; AA EP; Le Club Platinum; PC Platinum; SPG Gold
Second the concierge option - twice they've pulled out a preplanned map with recommended routes, including various length runs.

Also you may want to look for a local running club.
Yuengling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 8:46 am   #6

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I second the local running club recommendation - good way to do group runs as well if safety is a concern. I also use the local parks department - sometimes they have trails or can give you routes around the area that are popular.
Old Jul 8, 11, 6:58 pm   #7

Thanks. The running club is a great idea. Safety is my biggest concern.
Old Jul 13, 11, 3:15 pm   #8

Programs: UA GS
Google Maps

If I can't find a place to run by just searching the internet, I will often pull up Google Maps and look at the area around the hotel in the satellite view. I have several times been able to locate trails this way.
theBeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 11, 11:50 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
Sidney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay

I was looking at the virtual concierge for my upcoming stay.

I noticed that under fitness, they had a box to check to meet with the local running club. I thought that was cool. I did not check it but intend to ask upon check in
Old Jul 28, 11, 11:17 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper22 View Post
Thanks. The running club is a great idea. Safety is my biggest concern.
I did that in London once with the Richmond Park running club -- very friendly group. Of course, it can be hit and miss on whether the set times for club runs fit into your schedule.

I agree with the advice above, and if all else fails, just look for the nearest park/greenway and try it out. You're safe if you see lots of runners and walkers.
dhuey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 11, 4:52 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I did that in London once with the Richmond Park running club -- very friendly group. Of course, it can be hit and miss on whether the set times for club runs fit into your schedule.

I agree with the advice above, and if all else fails, just look for the nearest park/greenway and try it out. You're safe if you see lots of runners and walkers.

I've ended up running alone in the botanical gardens here in SYD and what a marvelous, gorgeous (park and eye candy ) place to run and the weather has been perfect this week
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:47 am   #12

Programs: DL:Diamond, HH:Diamond
botanical gardens

I too loved running in the botanical gardens while in Sydney. It only took me a few days to get used to running on the opposite side of the path. There were a lot of near collisions before that though while I wondered why people kept coming right at me. It never occurred to me that just as they drive on the wrong side of the road, they also run on the wrong side of the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I've ended up running alone in the botanical gardens here in SYD and what a marvelous, gorgeous (park and eye candy ) place to run and the weather has been perfect this week
Old Aug 4, 11, 9:41 am   #13

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I do a lot of "non-urban" travel and have found that early morning and early evening along the main routes in a town are good because people aren't out yet for work, and it's relatively peaceful.
Old Aug 13, 11, 5:33 pm   #14

I just found this I am not sure how comprehensive this is, but looks like it is helpful.
Old Aug 13, 11, 6:15 pm   #15
Senior Moderator & Moderator, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA MM 1K; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Agree on checking with the concierge as many hotels have preprinted running maps. Pretty sure all Kimpton Hotels put a running map in each room.
l'etoile is offline   Reply With Quote