Reload this Page >

Losing weight when traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

does anyone else tend to lose weight when they travel?

after 8 nights in Rome, pretty much eating everything in sight, I got back and weighed myself this morning, and I'm down about 5# (my body fat is down considerably, about 4%).

I did workout a little...ran once (just 4 miles), weights twice, swam almost every day, but most of it was just putzing around in the hotel pool (1500-2500m). Then again, I'd guess I walked at least 2 miles a day, probably more some days.

Although I ate a bit, it was mostly just 2 meals a day. We'd have a big breakfast at the hotel before heading out (the advantage of hotel status), grab a snack in the lounge in the late afternoon, then a dinner around 8pm.

I was remembering when I was in college. I did a semester abroad (in the Netherlands) and lost 20#, and did another during grad school (to Japan), and again dropped about 15#.

I'm sure I'll be back to normal in the next week, but was just wondering if this happens to anyone else too.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I tend to notice this as well but it normally goes back *very* quick. I almost wonder if the effects of the trip aren't completely "in" your system yet. I'd be curious to see what you weigh in 2-3 days.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:55 pm

On vacations, I tend to see the same effect, but as you noted, I believe it's almost entirely from walking (though I'd add that the last time I was in Sydney, I walked something like 25-35km/day). As magiciansampras noted, it generally seems more like a quick flux than anything sustained, and I'm back to normal weight a few days later.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When I'm in UK/Europe on holiday or at FT Dos I eat/drink more. However, in those locations I do a lot more walking than I do in the US (I'm not talking exercise walking), so I invariably come back even or less. Actually on holidays I'm happy if it's even

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
I lost a lot of weight (I mean a lot) when I stopped eating on airplanes.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
does anyone else tend to lose weight when they travel?

after 8 nights in Rome, pretty much eating everything in sight, I got back and weighed myself this morning, and I'm down about 5# (my body fat is down considerably, about 4%).

I did workout a little...ran once (just 4 miles), weights twice, swam almost every day, but most of it was just putzing around in the hotel pool (1500-2500m). Then again, I'd guess I walked at least 2 miles a day, probably more some days.

Although I ate a bit, it was mostly just 2 meals a day. We'd have a big breakfast at the hotel before heading out (the advantage of hotel status), grab a snack in the lounge in the late afternoon, then a dinner around 8pm.

I was remembering when I was in college. I did a semester abroad (in the Netherlands) and lost 20#, and did another during grad school (to Japan), and again dropped about 15#.

I'm sure I'll be back to normal in the next week, but was just wondering if this happens to anyone else too.
It could well be dehydration. Let's say one pound = 4500 calories. If you ate nothing at all, you might lose 1 pound per day if you were say exercising 2-3 hours per day.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghfatw
I lost a lot of weight (I mean a lot) when I stopped eating on airplanes.
I eat almost everything given to me, even on planes, within reason. There was some mystery appetizer dish on the CLT-PHX leg that I don't think a single person in F touched.

Going to Europe, I had a glass of wine PHX-CLT, then the FA kept refilling it...eventually I had to tell her to stop. Same thing started on CLT-FCO, then I gave her the glass. Coming back I just had water.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghfatw
It could well be dehydration. Let's say one pound = 4500 calories. If you ate nothing at all, you might lose 1 pound per day if you were say exercising 2-3 hours per day.
I think that happens some of the time. But this trip I deliberately carried a water bottle around with me, and filled it up quite often. The nice thing about Rome is all of the fountains (well most) have water that is potable; even saw a UPS driver fill up at one.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by aztimm
I eat almost everything given to me
I know the feeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.