Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Histamine anomaly???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Histamine anomaly???

I am just curious if anyone else experiences an allergy attack in the last 1/2 hour of a flight?

I do not have hay fever or any regular allergies but all of a sudden, my nose starts to tickle and run clear fluid. Then comes the sneezing. This happens on short hops and long hauls.........basically, it occurs towards the end no matter how long the flight is. It usually lasts for a few hours after I have arrived at my destination. Then.....nothing......no cold or continued allergy symptoms appear until the next flight.

Is there an explanation for this anomaly? Do they add something to the pressure or filtered air as the plane begins to descend??

It's just plain weird!!!

Last edited by msk6261; Aug 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Have you tried taking allergy medication during the flight to see if that helps?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
Have you tried taking allergy medication during the flight to see if that helps?
Since I don't normally have allergies and this does not happen on every flight, it's not something I regularly carry with me but maybe I should consider it.

I hate taking anti-histamines as they often make me drowsy. And...on long, transcontinental flights I will often take a sleep aid to counteract the jet lag so I don't want to combine the two (sleep aids help me sleep without that groggy feeling).

I was just wondering if there was a scientific (medical or something they actually do to the air in the plane) that causes this reaction??
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: UAPlatinum/* gold, United Club, KE 'morning calm'/skyteam elite
Histamine anomaly???

I get something similar to what you described, but to me I always just thought it was my sinuses reacting to (freaking out, really) the lack of humidity in the cabin. Maybe try mucinex or mucinex D first if you don't want to go full on allergy medicine? And stay hydrated? Maybe use one of those masks?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I wonder if it is possibly related to a change in cabin pressure/descent?

I had sinus surgery about a year ago. Shortly before my surgury my sinuses would get incredibly painful during changes in altitude - whether it be due to descent of a plane or a elevator flight down many floors. This would be to the point that they felt like they would explode.

Since having the surgery I have no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.