Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Have you looked at the ingredients in some foods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

I'm deathly allergic to nuts, so I tend to read ingredients on just about everything. I was checking out ingredients for a salad today, and noticed,
Bacon Bits:
Pork bellies cured with [water, salt, sugar, natural smoke flavor (plant source), sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite].
Ew! The "pork bellies," listing just drives home the fact that I probably shouldn't be eating those!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Why? Pork belly is delicious (just not healthy)!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:13 am
Original Poster

When it's listed as pork bellies, it just sounds horrible! I eat meat, I realize meat comes from cows, pigs, chicken, turkey, and, in my household, deer. I realize that they try to use as much of the animal as they can, but sometimes, I just don't want to know from which part of the animal my meal has been carved!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by kipper
When it's listed as pork bellies, it just sounds horrible! I eat meat, I realize meat comes from cows, pigs, chicken, turkey, and, in my household, deer. I realize that they try to use as much of the animal as they can, but sometimes, I just don't want to know from which part of the animal my meal has been carved!
The problem with pork belly from a health perspective is that it is unbelievably fatty. Not great if you're looking for a lean cut of white meat.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The problem with pork belly from a health perspective is that it is unbelievably fatty. Not great if you're looking for a lean cut of white meat.
I don't think that'll be a problem for me now... I think every time I see bacon or bacon bits, I'm going to think, "Pork belly," and avoid it.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:28 am

I don't think that'll be a problem for me now... I think every time I see bacon or bacon bits, I'm going to think, "Pork belly," and avoid it.
I actually think it's a good sign that they say pork belly. That's better than some of the alternative pig parts!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

I actually think it's a good sign that they say pork belly. That's better than some of the alternative pig parts!
This is probably true. Although, I still think I'm going to avoid it for a while, at least until I no longer think "pork belly" every time I see bacon bits.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:32 am

This is probably true. Although, I still think I'm going to avoid it for a while, at least until I no longer think "pork belly" every time I see bacon bits.
And just to bring this full circle, I do read ingredient labels and try to stay away fake sounding things (chemicals and so forth) as much as possible. It's really hard (and expensive).
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

And just to bring this full circle, I do read ingredient labels and try to stay away fake sounding things (chemicals and so forth) as much as possible. It's really hard (and expensive).
I've found that reading ingredients on things has substantially reduced the amount of chocolate and other goodies that I eat, since most come with the warning, "Produced on equipment that also processes products containing peanuts and tree nuts," or something similar. I do question how much of that is just a disclaimer on there because it's cheaper and easier than possibly dealing with a lawsuit from someone who gets the first piece of candy from the line that might have peanut dust contaminating it. The warning is not a bad thing for me, but some days, I don't know why I even bother checking!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
I've found that reading ingredients on things has substantially reduced the amount of chocolate and other goodies that I eat, since most come with the warning, "Produced on equipment that also processes products containing peanuts and tree nuts," or something similar. I do question how much of that is just a disclaimer on there because it's cheaper and easier than possibly dealing with a lawsuit from someone who gets the first piece of candy from the line that might have peanut dust contaminating it. The warning is not a bad thing for me, but some days, I don't know why I even bother checking!
+1 ^ .... I've a habit of reading every label on any product that goes into my mouth to make sure that nothing is manufactured in China and notice this warning (disclaimer) on many products - especially on candy and in particular chocolate.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travelomania
+1 ^ .... I've a habit of reading every label on any product that goes into my mouth to make sure that nothing is manufactured in China and notice this warning (disclaimer) on many products - especially on candy and in particular chocolate.
Last time I checked, I'm down to Hershey's Kisses, and perhaps Hershey's bars that don't contain the warning. Most other chocolates do. Most cookies do as well. Seriously, the nut allergy, while annoying, is probably great for my diet!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I rarely read the ingredients section. If anything I check the calorie, sodium, etc, part & that's about it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
If you're squeamish about gross ingredient lists, don't read the label for "potted meat." For those who are more adventurous, here you go :

- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-s-Po...-3-oz/10536024
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potted_meat_food_product
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
If you're squeamish about gross ingredient lists, don't read the label for "potted meat." For those who are more adventurous, here you go :

- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-s-Po...-3-oz/10536024
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potted_meat_food_product
Oh, yes. I forgot about potted meat. Mr. Kipper's boss when he was in the Marine Corps used to eat potted meat almost daily for lunch. (We need a squeamish smiley!)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:41 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Why? Pork belly is delicious (just not healthy)!

AMEN! Its the best part of the pig!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.