Power / Heavy Gym's?

Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Power / Heavy Gym's?

Where do you go for a heavy / power workout (bench, squat, deadlifts, etc.)?

I am tired of the fu-fu gyms in hotels. So I end up searching for a place to move some metal. Where do you go?

Birmingham, UK - Temple Street Gym
New Orleans - Elmwood - $15 for a day pass
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Welcome to Flyertalk zerafa!

If you travel extensively in the US, I'd suggest joining a multiple-location gym where the locations mostly match where you'll be going.

I've heard that Gold's Gym is one of the best for serious lifting, but I haven't been to one for many years.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I find that many Gold's Gym smell like testosterone, lots of heavy lifters there.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:32 pm

Add Planet Fitness to your list of "Do not lift here" gyms

Planet Fitness has strict policies about the types of equipment they will have. They have a no grunting policy.
Planet Fitness has a device called the "Lunk Alarm" at all of its facilities. The Lunk Alarm is sounded when patrons "grunt, drop their weights, do unapproved "Bodybuilding", deadlifting, or Olympic lifts, overexerts him/herself (EG CrossFit or P90x type circuit workouts), or judges." The "Lunk Alarm" sign has a spinning light, and sounds like a tornado siren. The sign also defines a "Lunk", and it reads as this: "Lunk , n, [slang], One who Grunts, Drops Weights, or JUDGES". [11] Some of the Lunk Alarms also have an inscription below the definition of a lunk. It reads "[Ricky is slamming his weights, wearing a body building tank top, and drinking out of a gallon water jug... what a lunk!]"
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
24Hour Fitness always seems to have a lot of "lunks" hanging out around the free weights.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:57 am

Really?

overexerts him/herself (EG CrossFit or P90x type circuit workouts)
I get that grunting, flexing in the mirror and slamming weights down can be annoying, but no CrossFit/P90x? What makes that a "Lunt"? I guess they ban all plyometric exercises then?

Life Time Fitness has a large selection of heavy weights but I believe a day pass is $40 so unless you're a member it's pricey.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I find that many Gold's Gym smell like testosterone, lots of heavy lifters there.
seriously???

I find that they are now catering to families and women more than ever; its far from what it was 10 years ago
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by techgirl
24Hour Fitness always seems to have a lot of "lunks" hanging out around the free weights.
I go to 24 Hour Fitness. In the average week, I'll drop by 3 or 4 different locations in the PHX area. It really varies wildly by location and time of day. I've seen some crazy lifting in the cage thing in early morning and on the rare occasions I go on weekends.

As I commented on another thread though, when I go to the Mesa Riverview location after work, it is more of a nightclub atmosphere. But I've heard there's some serious heavy lifters there in the early morning.

The best thing about 24 Hour Fitness is the price. If you're a member of Costco, they've had (maybe still do?) certificates for a 2-year membership for $299.

Oh, and the, "lunks," can be pretty nice people. Took me a while, but after I was going for 3-4 months, some of them started to give me advice, and they'll always spot for me if I ask. But it is rather annoying when I'm swimming in the morning, the pool at the Tempe location is beneath the area on the 2nd floor where the heavy free weights are. I've been startled by the sound of sudden dropping of weights, felt like the roof would come down on me.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I go to the gym that my hotel has a deal with. I will say that gyms in the USA seem way cheaper than in the UK.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I go to the gym that my hotel has a deal with. I will say that gyms in the USA seem way cheaper than in the UK.
I hear ya, I use one right by the Earls Court station and its 10 GBP per visit and its a dump. However it does the trick when I'm in that part of town
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
I get that grunting, flexing in the mirror and slamming weights down can be annoying, but no CrossFit/P90x? What makes that a "Lunk"? I guess they ban all plyometric exercises then?
I thought the whole point of CrossFit or P90x was to not go to a normal gym anyway. I don't understand the ban on gallon jugs. You can have smaller bottles, but not gallon jugs. They also have an interesting dress code compared to the Y. At the Y a lot of women would just wear sports bras. Planet Fitness requires the stomach to be covered.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
I thought the whole point of CrossFit or P90x was to not go to a normal gym anyway.
Agree for the most part, but I know of people who do their P90X or Insanity or whatever at a gym. (yes they pop DVDs in a video player and do it at the gym)

But those workouts aren't exactly unique and I don't understand why they'd be banned.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by aztimm
Oh, and the, "lunks," can be pretty nice people. Took me a while, but after I was going for 3-4 months, some of them started to give me advice, and they'll always spot for me if I ask.
Oh, I totally agree! I used the word "lunks" because of the quote someone posted earlier from Planet Fitness.

I actually have one of those increasingly rare "lifetime" memberships that 24Hour no longer sells - I pay $19.99 a year - and I've worked out at numerous 24s over the 9 years I've had my membership.

You are absolutely correct that they can vary wildly depending on location and time of day. The one by me is heavy hard-core lifters and triathletes in the mornings, a pick up spot in the late afternoon/early evening hours, and a lot of hard core cardio buffs later at night. Because of the proximity to the military base, we also get a lot of true 24 action. I've been in at 2 am to run when I had insomnia and was shocked at how busy it was. I've been in other 24s where the place is a ghost town after 10 pm.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by techgirl
.....I actually have one of those increasingly rare "lifetime" memberships that 24Hour no longer sells - I pay $19.99 a year - and I've worked out at numerous 24s over the 9 years I've had my membership.....
I think I can speak for the rest of broken Britain and say that we are now sobbing in our breakfast.....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:29 am

I bought my Ballys in 1990 and pay $60 a year to renew for my lifetime membership; I think my original payment was $36/yr for 36 mo at the time,no cash down

the only cavet, is that I can't go to those specialty gyms they havebut I can go to 95% of the ballys out there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.