Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel Health and Fitness
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 2, 11, 12:59 pm   #1
Moderator Communications Coordinator

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Lent and your health goals

I'm not Catholic, but rather than making New Years resolutions, I use lent as a time to try and instill some healthy habits that will stick (at least for a while) past the 6 weeks.

This year I'm giving up:

carbs - i'll be doing the atkins induction for the entirety of lent - (minus the week I'm in Hawaii). My plan is to get out of the habit of picking up deli food for lunch and actually plan and pack meals.

caffeinated beverages - I drink decaf tea a lot more often now... but 6 weeks without coca-cola is going to be rough.

the snooze button - oh how I love to hit the snooze button several times before getting out of bed. If I actually got out of bed when the alarm went off, I'd make it to work an hour earlier, and have an extra hour in the evening for exercise.

driving to work - I live a half mile from my office. There is really no reason, short of a monsoon, that I need to drive, but I do...mostly because every morning I drive past it to get my starbucks and something from the deli.

Not having a car at the office, will make it harder for me to run out to grab deli food for lunch.
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 11, 1:16 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/3MM, UA 1P, Hyatt DIA, SPG PLT, 2.5 time FT Fantasy Football champ and FT general member.
I'm giving up Facebook. I figure that during the course of the day, I probably spend the aggregate of close to an hour on there a day between checking it periodically, scanning it while on conference calls, etc. If I used that time to do other things (like finish work) it would allow me more gym time in the mornings or evenings.

I'm also toying with giving up alcohol for Lent. I don't really drink much to begin with anymore (I know, shocker for anyone who knew me when....) so this one really isn't a biggie. My one hold back is that I can think of a couple of social occasions where I will want to have one or two drinks over the next two months. So I might not do this one.

But Facebook is a definite.
Old Mar 2, 11, 1:45 pm   #3
TalkBoard Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
As per usual, I am giving up religion for Lent. More time on Sundays for sleep and exercise.

God knows what I'm talkin' about!
Old Mar 3, 11, 12:30 pm   #4
TalkBoard President, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Committing to doing some type of exercise 5x/week. Yes, I should do it anyway but as missy says, it's getting back into good habits & 6 weeks usually helps w/ that. Plus if I blow it, there's probably a bolt of lightning that will hit me.

In years past I used to give up alcohol, desserts, junk food. My sister used to say that it didn't count if I benefited from it (weight loss). I reminded her it was supposed to be a sacrifice & those 3 were! I'll have to think about whether I want to do all 3 again.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 11, 5:11 am   #5
Moderator: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security

Programs: US CP, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
I didn't even realize it when I was doing it, but I booked a Spring Training game for Ash Wednesday. It is at the Diamondbacks new stadium, near the Talking Stick Resort near Scottsdale. I had some carryover vacation to burn, wanted to see the new stadium, and that day worked.

Oh well, any health goals could always wait an extra day. Or I could certainly workout before + after that
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:12 am   #6
TalkBoard President, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
As per usual, I am giving up religion for Lent. More time on Sundays for sleep and exercise.

God knows what I'm talkin' about!
Actually Sundays are exempt during Lent, so whatever you give up you can do. Guess you'll be making it to church after all

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 11, 6:56 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
I'm not Catholic, but rather than making New Years resolutions, I use lent as a time to try and instill some healthy habits that will stick (at least for a while) past the 6 weeks.

This year I'm giving up:

carbs - i'll be doing the atkins induction for the entirety of lent - (minus the week I'm in Hawaii). My plan is to get out of the habit of picking up deli food for lunch and actually plan and pack meals.

the snooze button - oh how I love to hit the snooze button several times before getting out of bed. If I actually got out of bed when the alarm went off, I'd make it to work an hour earlier, and have an extra hour in the evening for exercise.
I've gotten away from giving up things for Lent, and I am Catholic... So, I guess if non-Catholics are giving up stuff, I probably should too!

I need to start packing lunches too. My big issue, if I do pack a lunch, is to remember to bring it to work, and also, actually following through and eating it for lunch, and not giving in to the temptation of picking up food with other co-workers.

The snooze button--If you stopped hitting the snooze button, you could also exercise before work, rather than after work.

My issue is that I need to stop going back to bed when Mr. Kipper leaves for work, and use that 45 minutes to exercise. But, especially in winter, there's something so great about curling up in a still-warm bed, with one or both dogs snuggled up with me for 45 minutes. Even if I don't sleep, it's just so relaxing.
Old Mar 9, 11, 3:27 pm   #8

Programs: UA Au
I do. Since it tends to coincide with the beginning of my cycling season, it helps in the race to shed my winter weight for the season.

I'm not buying any snacks out of the vending machines at work during Lent. Seems like I should be able to figure out a few other things I can give up, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
I'm also toying with giving up alcohol for Lent.
I, too, toy with the idea. But I've never actually given up alcohol for Lent. Doubt I ever will.

--- Shawn
iapetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 11, 6:33 pm   #9
Moderator Communications Coordinator

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
My big issue, if I do pack a lunch, is to remember to bring it to work, and also, actually following through and eating it for lunch, and not giving in to the temptation of picking up food with other co-workers.

Yup. I hear ya.

Giving up driving to work will make me extra careful about not leaving things behind, and will also limit my ability to go out for food even if I have packed something...which I'm notorious for.
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 11, 7:24 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
Yup. I hear ya.

Giving up driving to work will make me extra careful about not leaving things behind, and will also limit my ability to go out for food even if I have packed something...which I'm notorious for.
I wish I lived that close to work so that I could walk. Well, actually, considering the neighborhood around my office, no, I don't!

But, I too am notorious for going out for food even if I've packed a lunch.

Mr. Kipper leaves shortly for a 5 week trip, and since after tonight, I'm free from my part-time job, I'm going to try cooking for myself while he's gone, and packing the leftovers for lunch. If I can convince myself to eat breakfast at home, or bring breakfast from home with me to work, I think that I'll just leave my credit cards and cash at home most days. That way, I can't go out for food, since I'll have no way of paying for it!
Old Mar 14, 11, 5:57 pm   #11

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I gave up those decorated cookie cakes at the grocery store. The bakery is right by the produce section (where I spend most of my time) and I was really having trouble foregoing the cookie cakes. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't go more than 1 week without especially when they were covered with buttercreme icing. But I figure if Jesus fasted for 40 days and then was crucifed for my sins, then I could go without cookie cake rather easily.
It'sHip2B^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 11, 9:35 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Giving up caloric drinks of any kind.

A few years back I did this and stuck with it for the rest of the year....just didn't crave them much.
Old Mar 16, 11, 7:33 am   #13
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerj View Post
Giving up caloric drinks of any kind.
That's impressive! Not sure I could do that one...
Old Mar 16, 11, 12:18 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
That's impressive! Not sure I could do that one...
Not as bad as it seems for me as I don't really drink (maybe 2-3 drinks all year long). Its really the soda that will be hard.
Old Mar 16, 11, 12:37 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerj View Post
Not as bad as it seems for me as I don't really drink (maybe 2-3 drinks all year long). Its really the soda that will be hard.
I enjoy flavorful microbrews and would really miss them if I gave it up. That said, the nice thing is that I've found that I seem to not eat as much when I have a beer with dinner. Although, I probably drink those calories, rather than eating them.